Manual Gamesave "Work-around"

TerribleSurvivor

Hey!

I have recently been noticing that many players want a manual savegame option (Just like in story mode) to be able to quit the game immediatly if needed.

The possible solution to this problem is to always carry a chunk of wolf/bear meat with you. If you need to quit the game for whatever reason you can simply eat a tiny bit from it (no need to swallow it whole) causing you to suffer from an increased risk of getting intestinal parasites which will lead to an automatic game save. Ideally you will only get a 1% total risk of receiving intestinal parasites. This is the only non-severe affliction that you can get controllably by eating meat from carnivores.

Pros:

• You can easily save your game even in the middle of nowhere without getting a serious affliction immediatly or needing to rely on randomly sprained ankles/wrists or needing to rely on nearby indoor-shelter
  • Low risk of actually getting intestinal parasites afterwards unless you consumed larger quantities of infected meat before.
  • You increase your calories count slightly (Yay!)

Cons:

• According to murphy´s law even if you never exceed the magical 1% risk of getting intestinal parasites you will eventually (~99% likelihood after 458 iterations) experience an actual infection with those nasty parasites
  • A lot more riskier safe method if you consumed infected meat before (5%-ish increase in risk by consuming an arbitrary amount of meat at once)
  • The risk of getting this affliction can cumulate if you need to save multiple times within 24 ingame hours (between two checks)
  • It doesnt work with carnivore meat being cooked by a player having max cooking skill level (In this case you need to eat meat that has been cooked with lower cooking skill)

This method is only advised if you dont have indoor-shelter nearby and cannot afford to sleep one hour. It's a really borderline-ish method of saving the game at best reserved to those special cases where you just can´t save the game but really need to.

I am looking forward to hear your thoughts about this work-around!

Cheers!

Nicely set out option.

Another consideration for the Con section perhaps; carrying even a tiny piece of meat raw or cooked, will increase scent range even though the Scent icon wont appear which is potentially the biggest issue?

I tend to carry a Bedroll with me for saving especially when exploring for the first time (I'm fairly new to the game and not used to the regions and wolf spawn location etc. Only problem is the 1kg weight but it's also an insurance for sudden Blizzard etc.  or cure sprains when meds are scarce.

17 hours ago, TerribleSurvivor said:
  • According to murphy´s law even if you never exceed the magical 1% risk of getting intestinal parasites you will eventually (~99% likelihood after 458 iterations) experience an actual infection with those nasty parasites

I wish it worked that way!  Just about every time that I've had a 1% - 5% risk of intestinal parasites, I've gotten them.  Recently, I accidentally ate some raw wolf meat and got a 75% chance of intestinal parasites.  I thought I was doomed, but the risk passed and I didn't get the parasites.

1 hour ago, Moonraker said:

Nicely set out option.

Another consideration for the Con section perhaps; carrying even a tiny piece of meat raw or cooked, will increase scent range even though the Scent icon wont appear which is potentially the biggest issue?

I tend to carry a Bedroll with me for saving especially when exploring for the first time (I'm fairly new to the game and not used to the regions and wolf spawn location etc. Only problem is the 1kg weight but it's also an insurance for sudden Blizzard etc.  or cure sprains when meds are scarce.

One piece of cooked meat doesnt increase your scent emission noticably but yeah i forgot to consider it. Sadly i cannot edit my post in order to add this to the Con list.

58 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I wish it worked that way!  Just about every time that I've had a 1% - 5% risk of intestinal parasites, I've gotten them.  Recently, I accidentally ate some raw wolf meat and got a 75% chance of intestinal parasites.  I thought I was doomed, but the risk passed and I didn't get the parasites.

See! Thats balance, komrade!!

Frankly speaking i just think you got or even only feel unlucky with those. Usually, parasites don´t kick in with only 1-10% risk. And yeah, raw wolf/bear meat is a pretty much guaranteed infection with those little buggers. But there you got lucky :D

If you don't want to risk parasites and there isn't a building nearby (where there is an automatic save when you enter), you can always pass time for an hour.  If you use the spacebar activated radial menu, you don't need a bedroll to pass time.  The only downside is you waste an hour.

4 hours ago, Vince 49 said:

If you don't want to risk parasites and there isn't a building nearby (where there is an automatic save when you enter), you can always pass time for an hour.  If you use the spacebar activated radial menu, you don't need a bedroll to pass time.  The only downside is you waste an hour.

Especially with the last patch being rolled out it has become way more dangerous to simply pass an hour anywhere because predators have time-accelerated movement now. I Just tried it out and almost got caught by a bear!

"One piece of cooked meat doesnt increase your scent emission noticably but yeah i forgot to consider it. Sadly i cannot edit my post in order to add this to the Con list."

Say what now? It does, and by A LOT. Without any pieces you can literally walk between wolf packs, but as soon as you pick that single cooked bait piece wolfs go nuts.

1 hour ago, jerry486 said:

Say what now? It does, and by A LOT. Without any pieces you can literally walk between wolf packs, but as soon as you pick that single cooked bait piece wolfs go nuts.

Uhm, No, not really! A piece of cooked meat isn´t even enough to trigger the scent icon you would normally see! It is mainly the blood in a fresh piece of meat that attracts predators (Just like in real life). Also, walking through a pack of wolves is really uncautious play that should and will be punished regardless of your smell!

Archived