Your self-imposed rules ?

StrayCat

Hello all,

I wanted to get a little inspiration about how to add a bit a spice while playing. I usually use self-imposed rules for that purpose. For instance, I always aim to play as realistically as possible, and every setting (custom mode etc) follow that guideline. So I use the following rules in my games :

1) Never let willingly condition drop. When someone becomes really hungry/thirsty/cold, his own absolute priority becomes to fill that need. Who would let willingly his health collapse just to save a chocolate bar ?? The starving strategy makes no sense IRL, as you can't move without spending calories. So, as a "human being surviving", I always try to keep cold/thirst/hunger between 50-100%.

2) Don't throw stones at rabbits. I don't know of anyone able to knock rabbits out with a stone. IRL little bunnies have so much agility and speed, it would require an intense training just to have a small chance to touch them, let alone knock them out. Following this rule is fun, especially at the start : getting your first guts becomes quite harder, you have to find a carcass somewhere or create one (deer->wolf). And snares get their real function, as you won't want to waste arrows/bullets for a few jumping long-eared calories.

And you, do you use some rules like that to spice up your game ? Share !

1) I would use it if the game in return would allow me to store fat reserves by consuming larger quantities of food. As it is now i am using this rule only if i can afford to.

2) Throwing Stones at rabbits is perfectly fine in a realistic way for me. It is stupid how it is implemented in the game bcs you can sneak up on bunnies to point blank range but for all intends and purposes if they dont run you are "catching them by surprise" and stones definitly can stun bunnies (imagine you getting struck by a large rock on your head or torso I bet you wont be moving much at first).

My personal set of rules is pretty simple:

1) Dare and succeed (e.g. sneak around the unnamed pond to get loot while trying to avoid the bear)

2) Dont be a coward (e.g. Don´t use deterrents if you are in shape to fight)

3) Shoot wolves on sight (Yes i really have a serious aversion against ingame wolves thus i will kill them on spot no matter when and why)

I'm not so good at the game to additionally burden myself with personal rules, but I want to give my next character a personality. Habits such as "loves running in the morning" or something else not too bothersome which could be roleplayed.

I started a Stalker game to see how long I could go without doing any hunting or fishing or trapping or crafting. Got bored and stopped after about 40 days, having looted 2½ regions. But I reckon you could probably get to 100 days or so without starving or doing anything unusual.

Normally, though, I just keep to this one:

On 6/12/2018 at 4:39 AM, StrayCat said:

1) Never let willingly condition drop. When someone becomes really hungry/thirsty/cold, his own absolute priority becomes to fill that need. Who would let willingly his health collapse just to save a chocolate bar ?? The starving strategy makes no sense IRL, as you can't move without spending calories. So, as a "human being surviving", I always try to keep cold/thirst/hunger between 50-100%.

I try to follow the descriptions in the Status screen. so if it says "Peckish" and I have something to snack on, I'll eat it; if it says "hungry", I'll eat something more substantial (With food, if you aren't deliberately starving yourself it makes no sense to carry food with you in your pack if you have spare calorie space in your stomach - eating saves carrying weight). If it says "Cold" and I have the means to warm up, I'll do that. Etc. Generally it just entails keeping all the Status bars above about one quarter full - if possible (which it isn't always).

I also avoid getting attacked by wolves or bears as a priority above ALL else. And I don't go out in blizzards except in exceptional circumstances.

1 hour ago, Khan_Drichthyes said:

Always stockpile at every place you shelter in.  Water and wood are the big items.  I'll also leave pelts, guts, excess cloth, extra tools, and so forth.  After all, I may return someday. 

This is a great strategy for so many reasons. It creates safe waypoints for transition, allows for recovery if necessary, establishes safe hunting blinds assists your ability to do things outdoors subsequently helping to fight the fever....I could go on and on. 

My biggest rule is to follow the game as intended. The mechanics have been crafted for a reason not for reality. 

I forgot one more thing:

Never let your fire go to waste.

It goes well with the stockpiling.  If you have a fire going, do more than just stand there.  If all your meat is cooked, or your tea is brewed, start melting and boiling water.  Keep making potable water until there isn't enough time on your fire.

Archived