What does your character miss the most?

A bit of a role playing question:  As your character attempts to survive in the Silent Apocalypse, what does he or she miss the most from the Old World?

For my character:  Hot Showers.  Oh, how great it would be to have all that hot water and steam chase out all traces of the cold.  Washing away the dirt, dried blood, soot, and grime of countless days...  The best way to either start or end the day.

Radios that work. And music, more specifically. 

In the very first release version of Wintermute, I swear that one of the radios in Milton (either in the Post Office or the Bank) played music. There was no aurora, no explicable reason why that radio worked and none of the others did, no explanation where the music could be being broadcast from. 

I would spend in-game hours in there, trying to figure out it could be possible, while enjoying the soft, tinkly sounds.

And then it vanished. Suddenly. With one of the past release updates. 

If I were in The Long Dark for real, the thought that I might never listen to good music again would make me very depressed indeed. 

My character is missing all the variety of foods.  After a couple years only thing left to eat are the fish and beasts.  All cattails picked.  Brewed all the reshi and rosehips and the only thing left ot drink is melted and boiled snow.  Maybe for something different I could locate some toilet water.  Even took some pills and tried to enhance the piece of deer meat.  That was different but very awful tasting.    This forsaken place never changes and the same food is getting to me.  The ancient Romans used to ask; do you live to eat or eat to live? 

Variety is the spice of life and I am dying of blandness in the Long Dark!!

I had one strolling up to my home on the Rikken, just yesterday.  I decided to use the bow.

1st shot missed due to drifting right.  The bear ran away but soon started walking back.

2nd shot missed low.  A little "chin music."  It ran away again and wasn't so quick to start walking back, but eventually did.

3rd shot hit in the hindquarter.  Bear yelps and starts running around with an arrow in its butt.  I'm just patiently waiting for it to bleed out, occasionally adding logs to my fire in the wheelhouse (Trying for the 3 day campfire achievement).  A few hours later, it's running around the bridge over Matt's Truck, when major fog rolls in, followed by an overnight blizzard.

The next morning, I searched all over Desolation Point to find it.  It took all day, but I found him somehow stuck to a vertical rock wall next to the waterfall, near his last known position.  Got a sprained ankle trying to reach him, but eventually did.

On 6/10/2018 at 10:34 PM, Pillock said:

I swear that one of the radios in Milton (either in the Post Office or the Bank) played music.

It did for me too! I was blown away by hearing a non-soundtrack song for the first time in years of the Quiet Apocalypse. 

My character probably misses fluffy the most. Lol, scruffy is too off the beaten path so I don't see him every run. Fluffy was almost a given encounter and became kind of like the first memorable NPC of the game. 

Probably music. And maybe someone to share that music with. Maybe cars, his feet are tired. This is a really tough decision. At least they can wash themselves by spongebaths with boiled water and looted washcloths.

My character probably doesn't miss money and advertising the most. And light pollution. And shopping, and traffic. Gosh, more hard decisions. At least theres still snow, snow is awesome.

My character wants to desperately meet the people plowing the roads in PV and CH. His current theory is that gnomes are responsible.

I sometimes eat risky food for variety - I found an unlooted container recently that spawned a 9% granola bar and I ate it straight away, even though everyone knows Canadian granola is one of the most dangerous foods - no food poisoning, so it gets a 4-star Yelp review. The chocolate bar a hundred days before was a 5-star for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

My character misses seeing domestic animals like dogs and cats. Especially dogs.

She needs a doggo to serve as:

1) Emotional support
2) Wild animal proximity warning
3) A fluffy body to help keep warm on cold nights out
4) Hunting partner
5) Demolisher of excess/mouldy meat (no wasted calories!)
6) A friend to help carry some excess weight
7) A way to stave off that slow descent into insanity from lack of companionship / someone to talk to besides frozen corpses and bunny carcasses

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest jeffpeng
On 11.6.2018 at 5:34 AM, Pillock said:

And then it vanished. Suddenly. With one of the past release updates. 

This is still in the game, but it is only supposed to happen during the aurora, which actually happened to me in a story-rp game I'm playing (and writing up in the story forum).

As for what my survivor is missing the most: a happy end to look forward to. Hope, basically. Having realized by now that there won't be any help coming, and staving off nature's onslaught will only work so long, it's getting hard to get out of bed in the morning. Also conversation with someone else besides oneself and the diary.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived