Disappearing Gear?!? Is this happening just to me?

piddy3825

Hey anybody,

gear just seems to be disappearing outta thin air.  for example, stashed the heavy hammer by the wall near the doorway by the furnace on the Riken.  dropped some gut and two deer hides nearby to cure while I spend the next couple of ingame days gathering materials for upcoming forge crafting session.  when I get back to the Riken, the hammer is gone.

subsequently spent the next 4 ingame days looking for that hammer, nothing to be found anywhere.     This isnt the  first time stuff just vanishes, last playthrough it was all the unused arrow heads i had crafted...

curious if this is possibly only related to custom setting gameplay?  any ideas? anyone?

1 hour ago, private duksworth said:

when stuff decays with tools it should still be there so I don't know what happened. I know that leaving a region doesn't despawn items so its a bit of a mystery to me. sorry don't have a real answer.

It isnt about decay rate in this case.  I had repaired the hammer to 100%, so no way could it have decayed to ruined and disappeared in less than 4 ingame days.  Ive watched low quality items like canned goods decay and actually disappear after being ruined but this is something different,.  

Thanks for your post, @piddy3825. Placed items should certainly not be disappearing from the world!

Can you share bit more information about this issue?
-What system are you playing on? (Steam, Xbox One, PS4 etc)
-Do you recall how long ago (in real time) you placed these items in the Rikken?
-Have you noticed items disappearing from any other locations in the game?

11 hours ago, Support said:

Thanks for your post, @piddy3825. Placed items should certainly not be disappearing from the world!

Can you share bit more information about this issue?
-What system are you playing on? (Steam, Xbox One, PS4 etc)
-Do you recall how long ago (in real time) you placed these items in the Rikken?
-Have you noticed items disappearing from any other locations in the game?

Hello Support,

thanks for taking the time out to respond to my predicament.  So, playing PC version via Steam and currently playing a custom game.  Cannot easily say with any certainty when i placed the hammer aboard the Rikken in real time.  I honestly play this game at least 2-3 hours each day almost seven days a week...  you guys got me addicted...  But it would probably have been maybe a day or two in real time before i made my post, subsequently having discovered the hammer was missing then spending the next two sessions of 2-3 hours looking for it.  Never did find anything. 

Back to Coastal Highway, dropped items on the ice between the log yard outer pylon and the fishing shack, about 10 kilos of stuff ; cloth, metal, newsprint, clothing, a considerable pile of stuff and when i go back the next day in game time to retrieve it, missing.    Now in this case probably a week goes by in real time and this time today as i was playing when i got home after work,  I am heading back towards Jack Rabbit Island, all of a sudden all the missing gear is materialized back on the ice.  I didnt pick it up as I was running lean and didnt want to be over encumbered, i figured I would pick it up on the way back.  anyways, I had to end my gameplay abruptly so I had to quit without saving.   When i was able to resume, it started me back out in the Quonset and as I made my way back out on the ice to retrieve my rematerialized gear, it isnt there anymore, again.  lol

Other similarly strange conditions are the my character is stuck at 87% health with no afflictions after repeated days of full rest, hydration and satiation.    makes it a challenge to survive when you might need that 13% of life to survive.  

Let me know what you think.  

Thanks!

Thanks for your reply, @piddy3825! When you have a chance, could you email us at support@hinterlandgames.com with a copy of your Debug Log and your Save game file so we can take a closer look at what is happening?

Info on how to locate both of these files is posted in our Technical FAQ: http://www.hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/3982-the-long-dark-technical-faq  Let us know if you need any help finding or sharing these files!

Also if you haven't done so yet, please verify your Steam files and reboot your system (this helps rule out issues with local game files and is a good first step for any technical problem.) 

Hi again Piddy3825. Just following up on your issue.

Thanks for sending us your debug log. We didn't see anything unusual in it, but are working to  see if we can replicate this issue on our end and will keep an eye out for similar reports. 

Quitting without saving will certainly impact any recently dropped items, but shouldn't have any effect on items that were placed before your most recent save.

If this issue was related to missing or corrupted game files, verifying your game with Steam should have resolved the issue, but please let us know if you see it again!

3 hours ago, Support said:

Hi again Piddy3825. Just following up on your issue.

Thanks for sending us your debug log. We didn't see anything unusual in it, but are working to  see if we can replicate this issue on our end and will keep an eye out for similar reports. 

Quitting without saving will certainly impact any recently dropped items, but shouldn't have any effect on items that were placed before your most recent save.

If this issue was related to missing or corrupted game files, verifying your game with Steam should have resolved the issue, but please let us know if you see it again!

Hello Support!

thanks for taking the time out to look over those debug files.  I will certainly continue to watch for these random anomalies and will try to better document those circumstances when they occur.  

Archived