Is there any way to hang stuff from the walls?

piddy3825

I've been able to stick a bow into a wall - so maybe - but I'd bet it was a fluke, like my bow ( and for those wondering, alas it did not also show on the otherside of the wall :D )

Of course, I now have to go kill a bear and experiment.  ;) 

• 1 month later...

I just put this on the wishlist forum, but it feels relevant here: 

I would absolutely love for us to be able to improve wind shelter, and up the temp bonus of outdoor locations, by being able to nail up hides over cracks and walls. It would make those spaces seem much more "ours" as we could slightly customize these little outdoor bases. To keep it from being overpowered, I think it would make sense to be able to forge nails from scrap mettle, and then place hides on walls via the nails and the heavy hammer. And if it slightly increased the temperature bonus of these places, it would open up play styles, as more spots could become viable bases/camps, if you were willing to commit the time and resources. 

I had a happy accident happen a few years ago when I was moving a black bear hide via RMB. It was at 99%, but it hit 100% mid-move and when the "fresh black bear hide" became a "cured black bear hide", it instantly froze where it currently was, resulting in it being stuck halfway through a wall.  I would imagine, if you timed it very very carefully, you could exploit that ability to position anything that has a cure time in some strange locations.  Of course, you'd have to wait for it to hit 99%, then RMB, position it, then just sit there and stare at your screen for however long it takes to reach 100%.

Might test it myself, if I get bored later.

2 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

I had a happy accident happen a few years ago when I was moving a black bear hide via RMB. It was at 99%, but it hit 100% mid-move and when the "fresh black bear hide" became a "cured black bear hide", it instantly froze where it currently was, resulting in it being stuck halfway through a wall.  I would imagine, if you timed it very very carefully, you could exploit that ability to position anything that has a cure time in some strange locations.  Of course, you'd have to wait for it to hit 99%, then RMB, position it, then just sit there and stare at your screen for however long it takes to reach 100%.

Might test it myself, if I get bored later.

Please let me know if you decide to experiment with the "curing in place" potential positioning exploit.  I for one would "exploit" the sh*t outta something like that and have the coolest man cave ever.  In my current survival sandbox I nearly have the entire back area of the Quonset gas station carpeted in deer hide and the shop area is sporting a giant moose, bear, wolf and rabbit area rug covering 70% of open flooring.  The real challenge is placing and dropping skins for pattern and coverage.  Holding something and curing it in place would be the next best thing to be able to do.

Yep, still works!  It has a tendency to partially clip through surfaces as you slide it around while RMB-moving it, so it's probably not terribly ideal for wallpapering your house.  Unless you used a lot of them, to ensure you had every gap covered.  Like...probably hundreds of pelts.

20180710194545_1.jpg

On 7/10/2018 at 5:49 PM, ajb1978 said:

Yep, still works!  It has a tendency to partially clip through surfaces as you slide it around while RMB-moving it, so it's probably not terribly ideal for wallpapering your house.  Unless you used a lot of them, to ensure you had every gap covered.  Like...probably hundreds of pelts.

20180710194545_1.jpg

finally a real way to position hides on walls.  I think the discovery and subsequent manipulation of the mechanics deserves to be noted to your credit @ajb1978, I am just thinking that you may want to start a detailed post on how best to implement this process.  I am sure you spent a fair bit of time getting the timing right and I for one would really like to hear more about how you pulled it off.  you didnt by chance record your gameplay when you did this?  I believe a lot of players would love to know about this and how to make it work.  

anyway, now that i see it can be done, I gotta go kill something again... and again... and again...  lol!

42 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

finally a real way to position hides on walls.  I think the discovery and subsequent manipulation of the mechanics deserves to be noted to your credit @ajb1978, I am just thinking that you may want to start a detailed post on how best to implement this process.  I am sure you spent a fair bit of time getting the timing right and I for one would really like to hear more about how you pulled it off.  you didnt by chance record your gameplay when you did this?  I believe a lot of players would love to know about this and how to make it work.  

anyway, now that i see it can be done, I gotta go kill something again... and again... and again...  lol!

Well I appreciate the vote of confidence there, but it really didn't take too much of my time.  Like I said before, I discovered it by accident, while repositioning a hide that fully cured while I was dragging it around.  I just repeated the process here on purpose.  I waited until it hit 99%, then RMB, dragged it around for a while until I found a position that didn't look completely terrible.  Then I just got up, went into the kitchen IRL, and threw a burger on the Foreman.  When I came back, the hide was stuck to the wall.

That's really all there is to it.  Wait until a hide hits 99%, RMB and slide it around until it's where you want it, then just wait out the timer until it hits 100%.  No special tricks, no secret, just patience.

Well now since I feel like I'm on the spot, I would suggest that if you intend to stack multiple hides, pick them all up when they are at 99%.  Go outside, drop all but one on the ground.  Go back inside, position the one you have in your inventory and wait until it sticks.  Then go back outside, pick up another 99% hide, go back inside, position it, and wait until it sticks.  I didn't really employ any finesse this time, since I was just testing it with a single wolf skin, but if you intend to wallpaper your base with it, you will probably need to employ some strategy with the cure time.  Just putting that out there!

2 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Yep. I had thought of that. And... I will make you pay. Somehow, someday, I will make you pay for inserting this crazy idea into my head.  xD

Will you take a check?

Edit: Hey wait, aren't I the one braving Interloper for your own crazy request?!  Why do I feel like I'm getting the short end of the stick here?!

@ajb1978, Here's to you and your happy discovery!

How do you like my custom deer hide window treatment?  Been trying different skins against different back grounds, so far deer hides been showing the best coverage against "flat" backgrounds like walls and desktops covering fairly flat with less clipping as compared to other hides.  Really wanted to see if I could patch the ceiling of the Mountaineers Hut on Timberwolf  but it seemed impossible for the hide to "cure."  Maybe I didnt wait long enough, but this time around I feel like I got pretty good placement and coverage on the window.  Got a few more curing hides, let see if I can get them to stick too!

screen_c533a01c-532b-488e-927e-1d2130b00158_hi.thumb.png.0b9148d6e4cd6abbd809082e8447a8d9.png

16 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

@ajb1978, Here's to you and your happy discovery!

How do you like my custom deer hide window treatment?  Been trying different skins against different back grounds, so far deer hides been showing the best coverage against "flat" backgrounds like walls and desktops covering fairly flat with less clipping as compared to other hides.  Really wanted to see if I could patch the ceiling of the Mountaineers Hut on Timberwolf  but it seemed impossible for the hide to "cure."  Maybe I didnt wait long enough, but this time around I feel like I got pretty good placement and coverage on the window.  Got a few more curing hides, let see if I can get them to stick too!

Nice placement--that's pretty well centered!  With Mountaineers Hut, I wonder if the area near the ceiling doesn't count as an interior location.  Since MH is kind of unique in that it's an indoor location located right in the outdoors map, I wonder if the "interior" section only extends so far off the ground.  It may be that the ceiling of the hut is beyond that range, thus being considered outdoors, and preventing that hide from fully curing.

Maybe try waiting until it's snowing, then RMB a piece of clothing and hold it up near the ceiling for a few minutes.  Then check if it's gotten wet from the snow.  If so, then we know the engine is treating that as "outside".  If not, while that doesn't necessarily disprove the hypothesis since ice huts also provide wind/snow protection without allowing curing, it does present something of a dead-end.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2018 at 6:46 PM, ThePancakeLady said:

Alright. Now I am going to waste a ton of time trying to get a bunny fur padded headboard and footboard, with wolfhide curtains in the Fishing Village cabin with the big, comfy bed. Just to play with this. And because... Martha Stewart, eat your heart out.

Hey, you got me inspired... I never much considered the Fishing Village as good home base, but your mention of it made me wanna check it out, so I spent a little time there, (too much, frankly to the point of obession) and here's my animal hide headboard in your honor.

screen_66e18127-66b5-465a-a8a2-b22af3550b8d_hi.thumb.png.77c1e5abe8644917ee4b21084f9a5afa.png

Custom animal hide headboard, took 10 rabbit pelts to line the top of the headboard and the legs, 3 deer hide to fill in the back and lower sides and 3 wolf pelts to give it an arch.  I'm just starting the foot end but it takes a lot of effort to catch rabbits.  I use 10 snares at a time to catch 3-5 rabbits at a time and the juggling of the curing time whew... it's like a job.   

1 minute ago, piddy3825 said:

Hey, you got me inspired... I never much considered the Fishing Village as good home base, but your mention of it made me wanna check it out, so I spent a little time there, (too much, frankly to the point of obession) and here's my animal hide headboard in your honor.

screen_66e18127-66b5-465a-a8a2-b22af3550b8d_hi.thumb.png.77c1e5abe8644917ee4b21084f9a5afa.png

Custom animal hide headboard, took 10 rabbit pelts to line the top of the headboard and the legs, 3 deer hide to fill in the back and lower sides and 3 wolf pelts to give it an arch.  I'm just starting the foot end but it takes a lot of effort to catch rabbits.  I use 10 snares at a time to catch 3-5 rabbits at a time and the juggling of the curing time whew... it's like a job.   

:x:x:x

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2018 at 11:20 AM, cullam said:

I just put this on the wishlist forum, but it feels relevant here: 

I would absolutely love for us to be able to improve wind shelter, and up the temp bonus of outdoor locations, by being able to nail up hides over cracks and walls. It would make those spaces seem much more "ours" as we could slightly customize these little outdoor bases. To keep it from being overpowered, I think it would make sense to be able to forge nails from scrap mettle, and then place hides on walls via the nails and the heavy hammer. And if it slightly increased the temperature bonus of these places, it would open up play styles, as more spots could become viable bases/camps, if you were willing to commit the time and resources. 

There's rugs all over the place, take one of those and use it to make a portable windbreak.  Say cloth to protect the fire from being blown out and hide would give a bonus to the human as well!  Note to the devs or folks who have actually read my posts - no I will never stop whining about the rugs. :D

screen_305977e0-2b99-4881-85cc-7ace5822860a_hi.thumb.png.5b2cf97df858e2cb0904e21b5ec74ad4.png

2 hours ago, greatwhitegamer said:

Wait, how did you get the Wintermute rifle model in survival mode (Picture 9)?

All that done using an unsanctioned mod. Photo easily fabricated or using unlicensed copy, cool never the less.

Here's a pick of the mountaineers hut using a game glitch that allows you to cure hides in place against walls, ceilings, just about anywhere you care to prop it up.  I used a bunch of deer hides to close the window to the outside by the workbench.  I hung hide above the fireplace  and I propped a bear hide against the wall by the hatch.  Currently have another bear rug drying and a moose hide which I am going to see if I can use to patch the ceiling.  wish me luck, lol.

Archived