Surviving with your sanity, any ideas?

s7mar7in

It is unmistakable, we create varied places in our mind while playing TLD, some that provide us a sense of contentment while others a sense of fear and defeat. We roam the maps and find shelter where we can…but there is a big difference between avoiding zero-condition and finding many days of happy existence in this harsh world of TLD.

For me it becomes much more than fulfilling the hierarchy of needs to survive in game…it requires daily activities that provide purpose to my continued survival. It can be a striking change mid-game; the basics are done and we must find a routine that brings happiness and beauty…or we will lose heart in a meaningless grind without any real hope or satisfaction.

So, maybe set your snare each night my friends, even if you are sick of rabbit meat for breakfast. Check your traps when the weather allows. Use these calm moments to take in all the sights and sounds of your surroundings. Stand still in the tracks you crunched into the snow and notice how beautiful the sky becomes between the storms.

And how would you suggest that the “will to survive” be implemented?

There was a similar mechanic brought forward in the Kickstarter campaign, but the devs didn’t feel that it could be brought into the Long Dark properly, and decided to remove it from the game’s future development     ; the locket was supposed to be an item that would have allowed a player’s character to continue their will to survive by opening it and looking at it every so often.

It’s a good idea, I just don’t think that the execution would be possible 

45 minutes ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

will to survive

I am hoping to hear of play styles that people use to keep the mid-game interesting. I should have called this post “what’s the best daily routine”.

Also, thank you very much for the nice information about the locket, I find it very interesting…and now my mind won’t stop trying to find a solution.

I've certainly stopped a few times, despite the cold, to stare at a particularly beautiful sky. Willing taking the hit to my condition, just to absorb a beautiful scene. I know at least one player on this forum (sorry, I can't remember who) said they always start their morning with a cup of coffee, preferably enjoyed outside. 

Sadly as far as I know this cup of coffee and two cups of herbal tea are the last three such cups anywhere in the world, and it depresses me so. However I found a stale candy bar in a tin the other day that had somehow gone unlooted and I ate it immediately - the first one I've had in almost a year!

And so I endure while all the world crumbles around me...

i started to go on camping trips to harsh locations (my first is in my survival thread).

I'd take a bow, knife, hatchet, some meat and water, basic medical and some matches and head off to live off the land for a week or two (this is also why i'm looking forward to the new region!) I found i'd light a fire each night and just sit under the stars and enjoy whatever view i had. Even though i've played this game for a while now i still saw some sights i wouldn't have otherwise.

3 hours ago, CaveDweller said:

I set many self-created challenges. Climbing mountains, having a bear-skin bedroll in every cave on TWM, harvesting every animal by hand etc....heck even this morning I posted up a weekly fishing challenge/contest!

This is the kind of thinking I was referring to. I also was reading the “Mt. Willow Post” last night and have much respect for that type of play-style also. The fishing challenge that you posted is a great idea and I hope to get in on that as well, but it also relates to another point of this original post. It is interesting to me as one who really likes to become immersed in a game world…how some areas of this growing map make me feel safe or happy while other areas make me just want to escape as soon as my objective is completed.

2 hours ago, Seshins said:

I found i'd light a fire each night and just sit under the stars and enjoy whatever view i had. Even though i've played this game for a while now i still saw some sights i wouldn't have otherwise.

While struggling in my earlier days of playing TLD, there are many similar small, quiet moments that had such a huge impact. The first time I survived a blizzard at night using the snow shelter is a good example. And like you said, if not for being scared and awake at 03:00 in the morning, warming by a fire that was just within my reach from the entrance of my shelter, I’d have missed it all.

I still like Fish O'Clock.

And I just restock the Quonset garage then reopen the place. In order to bring in the customers, We always have free water.

Then I go wander on down various parts of the maps and work on lore ideas. Finally got the last of the footage I need to confirm my theory about the corpse by the train in FM. Just finished editing the audio, so the next lore video should be done by tomorrow. Then I'm tackling the Aurora, I think.

Archived