V1.30 Stalker Achievement Run II

Hotzn

I am aware of the advantages of Jackrabbit as a base, but my only experience with it (on interloper) is getting jumped and killed by a wolf right on the island - I didn't even know where it came from. Was it just bad luck? What is your experience with wolves in the area?

Also, I'm told that the local bear likes to watch survivors craft at the table at the fishing cabins, then eat them. That didn't happen to me, I only had a few unpleasant nose-to-nose encounters with him when leaving the cabins. But I always managed to turn around and get back inside.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

I am aware of the advantages of Jackrabbit as a base, but my only experience with it (on interloper) is getting jumped and killed by a wolf right on the island - I didn't even know where it came from. Was it just bad luck? What is your experience with wolves in the area?

Also, I'm told that the local bear likes to watch survivors craft at the table at the fishing cabins, then eat them. That didn't happen to me, I only had a few unpleasant nose-to-nose encounters with him when leaving the cabins. But I always managed to turn around and get back inside.

He always rolls by at the same time of day; right around noon. Once his predecessors hide has finished curing, I just go wait at the good kill spot for him to roll on by, then it's bang bang kiss kiss new bear hide for the collection. You just want to be careful at that one time of day he patrols on past.

10 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Your bear question has already been answered, so on to this one: I am proud to say that no wolf has ever killed me on Jackrabbit Island. I have been jumped though - rabbits had lured wolves onto the island and I disturbed them eating their prey. But that was a couple of versions ago when we had more interaction between wildlife. As things are now - at least to my perception - the areas where deer & rabbits roam have less overlap with wolf areas. So there are less wolves chasing other animals around the map (as long as I don't herd one into the other), which again means less unexpected wolf encounters in places where they have brought down their prey. A shame really.

Currently, there are no wolves roaming around on Jackrabbit Island. Exiting the cabin after a long night's sleep is perfectly safe, I have NEVER encountered a wolf when exiting the cabin under these circumstances. The closest wolves are down the slope to the left (to your left if you exit the door from the living room). There is something like a tiny bay down there, with a big boulder blocking your view into the center of the bay. These wolves can easily smell or see you, and I have the suspicion that on the rare occasion they may detect a rabbit and pursue it up the slope. But that would be rare, and remember you still have a lot of options when you hear the wolf bark.

Day 40:

I strike a wide arch, collecting more sticks and returning to Jackrabbit to pick up the cured gut. Upon arrival, I eat a pice of venison from the veranda and notice a strange bug: My calorie-o-meter does not go up. What the…? I eat another piece, and now it works. One piece wasted. My storage suddenly does not seem so excessive, and with my next achievement in mind (don’t let the calorie-o-meter go down to zero) I decide to do more hunting first. This time I want to use the bow. I chase a deer around the ice and miss it several times (really am not used to the bow), but fortunately manage to retrieve all my arrows. One is broken, guess I’ll craft new arrows soon. Then I decide it’s easier to let a wolf do the job. Double kill is better anyway. I chase a deer into a wolf, sneak up on the wolf from behind and give it an arrow. The arrow strikes home, I see blood splutter, but the wolf takes off. I am not in the moos to pursue it, so I quickly open the radial menu and pass time for an hour. The wolf drops dead on the spot, not too far, and my arrow is there as well, of course. This is another exploit, of course, and should be changed. Not sure how exactly – maybe there should be a high chance to lose both animal and arrow if we don’t pursue it right away. But then again, the pursuing mechanisms would have to be improved. I mean the blood trail should then only disappear with the next snowfall of after 24 hours. Something like that.

Anyway, I digress. It is now late afternoon, but I want to start harvesting deer (high priority) and wolf (low priority). I return to the Fishing Camp, but realize I have not stored any sticks there. So I hack apart a wooden pallet for 12 reclaimed wood, return to the deer carcass on the ice, light a fire and start harvesting (looking back now, I might have tried the quartering mechanic which I have never used so far, but the idea didn’t occur to me). I harvest 2 kg of meat apiece, then cook it and drop it to reduce smell. Rinse and repeat, hide and guts come last. Darkness has fallen and it starts snowing, then the wind picks up… now where exactly was which… in which direction… I mean…

screen_(-374, 25, 752)_1c756645-99db-49bc-bbd2-c49044bc44e2.png

Of course a blizzard starts now. Collecting my memory, I think I remember where the road is, so I head there. Damn, can’t see a thing! Did I hear a bark there? Urm… that was a bark for sure! I light a flare and walk backwards… where is the fiend?

Then I get stuck… ah, behind me is the road! I turn and run along towards the left where I hope to stumble upon the Fishing Camp. Did I shake the wolf? Then I see my orientation was correct. I slip inside the cabin by the workbench and slam the door shut behind me. I’ve got some food and water here, and there’s a warm bed. Let the blizzard rage outside and the wolves howl in frustration. Old Hotzn has made it to safety tonight.

Day 41:

This day goes into further harvesting the wolf and salvaging the skins and guts to cure in the cabin by the workbench in Fishing Camp. I also make more water and cook all the wolf meat. It still feels wrong to me that – given the current game mechanics – it is a viable (or even good) strategy to just leave the cooked meat lying around on the ice. I am passing by here anyway, so I don’t have to carry it around. And that wolf over there – probably the one which barked me up in the blizzard – won’t touch it, although it is lying around right in its face…

screen_(-374, 25, 744)_20080734-cb2e-4afb-bbe2-7bd919b8c062.png

But hey, the sunset… just beautiful.

screen_(-629, 25, 692)_58c7e981-2744-4969-be78-f925edcdfc12.png

Day 42:

While I am on my way back to Jackrabbit, I contract parasites from my 1% risk. Granted, I am continuously running that 1% by eating one piece of wolf meat all the time until the risk wears off again, so I can’t really complain about the rng. My antibiotics should be sufficient to treat the affliction, so now I have 10 days of eating wolf meat at will. Back on Jackrabbit, I make a fire and cook a lot of water. That’s it for the day.

Day 43:

Day is dominated by a blizzard. I find out that I cannot read books while infected with parasites. That seems adequate. I fully repair and then inspect a light wool sweater and the wool shirt I found.

screen_(1, 2, -3)_229e2ea3-ac19-473a-8fb2-c36cc8f72a8c.png

screen_(1, 2, -3)_cf79ac7c-4c1e-44da-b7db-ea29b2c6beb9.png

The wool shirt is superior in all aspects, and although ist advantages are mainly lost on the immer layer, I put it on on the innermost layer and put my sweatshirt in the cupboard. Some more mending this and that and the day is over.

Day 44:

Back from Jackrabbit to the Fishing Camp, this time with all those cured goodies in my backpack. Of course I do some little side missions (like checking out one of those ice-fishing huts I had not yet visited), but finally arrive at the workbench in Fishing Camp. This time with enough food, water and raw materials. Only have t o wait out a blizzard, grrr... when it's over, I make some arrow shafts, then an arrow. Then three snares. I have enough wolf skins (still from the TWM summit) to make a wolf coat. Hmm… it’s heavy and would slow me down considerably. I check all the crafted clothes… they are all kind of combat clothes. There used to be times when the crafted clothes were superior to prefabricated clothes in all aspects, making and wearing them was a no-brainer. Now they seem to be better in some aspects, but inferior in others. I like that very much. What else… I could also either craft the deerskin boots or deerskin pants. Same here – tough and warm, but would slow me down. It’s already getting dark, so I postpone the decision what to craft next until tomorrow.

Thanks @stratvox, @Hotzn about the security situation information in that part of CH. I'm probably just being paranoid about the place.

12 hours ago, Hotzn said:

The arrow strikes home, I see blood splutter, but the wolf takes off. I am not in the moos to pursue it, so I quickly open the radial menu and pass time for an hour. The wolf drops dead on the spot, not too far, and my arrow is there as well, of course. This is another exploit, of course, and should be changed. Not sure how exactly – maybe there should be a high chance to lose both animal and arrow if we don’t pursue it right away. But then again, the pursuing mechanisms would have to be improved. I mean the blood trail should then only disappear with the next snowfall of after 24 hours. Something like that.

How about this: the time needed for the animal to bleed out could get extended by the amount of time passed. So after your 1-hour wait, the wolf would have an extra hour to live, and would continue to run around until you actually pass the amount of time needed for it to bleed out in real in-game time.

On 11.6.2018 at 5:01 AM, Drifter Man said:

How about this: the time needed for the animal to bleed out could get extended by the amount of time passed. So after your 1-hour wait, the wolf would have an extra hour to live, and would continue to run around until you actually pass the amount of time needed for it to bleed out in real in-game time.

Yes, that seems like a decent fix to the drop-the-wounded-animal-on-the-spot-by-passing-time exploit. Although it brings along an immersion problem - why do some animals drop within an hour (as you would expect) and others only after, let's say, 12 hours (depending on your sleeping/resting patterns)? The source of the problem lies in time passing as normal while you conduct certain activities which speed up your personal time (like harvesting, cooking etc.). But I am unsure whether this underlying problem can be touched upon without seriously altering core mechanics.

Day 45:

Lazy day. I collect some wood in the morning, it’s snowing and my clothes get wet. Back into the cabin by the workbench, clothes on the floor, rest in bed. Put clothes back on, now dry, back outside. Chase a deer into two wolves. Interestingly, the deer does not run away from them, instead grazes… on the ice. Wolf comes from behind and bites the deer into its behind. Keeps biting… deer just ignores it… then drops dead. Hm, something is off with the timing here. Well, now the deer is there with two wolves – one eating, one patrolling. I don’t want to get into double trouble, so leave the deer and wolves alone. Go to my wolf meat stash on the ice and eat two more pieces of wolf meat. Collect more sticks. Then turn to the workbench, but only craft another arrow. I don’t feel like crafting too much today. Then suddenly the „Don’t Starve“ achievement pops up. Apparently I have already kept my calorie store above zero for ten days. Nice. I‘ll go back into starving mode now in order to spend less time hunting and more doing other things.

I return to Jackrabbit, collecting more sticks there. At nightfall I’m completely exhausted. Bedtime. I wake up in the early morning hours to an aurora, lights are flickering. Outside, the lamps outside the cabin are flickering as well. Back inside for a final little nap.

Day 46:

On second thoughts… I will NOT go back into starving mode right now. Because the parasites are still there. And I’m not sure whether I can recover lost health while struck with parasites. I need about five more days to get rid of them. Which means I should procure more food. Ah… the snares. Forgot to set them up, so I do that now. They go right behind the hut:

screen_(-280, 76, 279)_2de34062-d43a-4c54-947c-d0fe8ba79f72.png

Then I set off to hunt another deer on the ice. I herd it into a wolf, and then there is a second wolf again. This time I want the deer, so I have to shoot arrows into both wolves. They run off in opposite directions. I follow one to Log Sort where it collapses. I light a fire and harvest it, eat a lot of meat on the spot. Returning to the deer carcass, I realize I have used too much firewood on the fire by the wolf. Not enough sticks left. Can I quarter the deer? No, it seems this only works when it’s below 50% frozen. So I head back to Jackrabbit, collect more sticks, do some mapping and harvest a rabbit from one of my traps. In the evening I wonder whether I need to wait until the next day until I take the next antibiotics against my parasites. I took pills in the morning, so maybe I can take more in the evening? No, no effect. Then the day is over.

Day 47:

I wake up with the subtle feeling that someting has changed... life is different somehow... it has been... updated! Invigorated, I jump out of bed... what... where... open the clothing menu... surely they have clarified that one of the headgear slots is outer layer, and surely it will be the left one… no. Both slots say „inner layer“, and the optically „inner“ one – the one on the right – is still factually the outer layer. Hm. The confusion here persists.

Okay, go outside… it’s snowing heavily, with fog. Looks nice, but as before. Look around… ha! What’s that? Someone has visited my veranda last night, placing rocks around my burnt-out campfire! Spooky!

screen_(-276, 77, 285)_22d9d5ea-37b7-4981-81a2-c3b991cb3acc.png

Surely, this must have been the spirits of Jackrabbit Island in an attempt to prepare me for new cooking habits. Should I try it out right away? Hm… I have a deer carcass waiting for me on the ice from yesterday, and I should harvest that first. And then there is the second wolf which took off with one of my arrows. Should try to find that as well. Equipment ready? Hey – who put THAT in my backpack?!

screen_(-276, 77, 286)_b037029c-9858-4fbb-a0b9-29543a42ea8d.png

A giveaway for me to use with the new cooking mechanics? Thank youuuu. I pick up a lot of sticks from my reserve stash next to the veranda and head down the slope towards the ice… now what is this:

screen_(-246, 40, 359)_f1ac4cbe-f77d-4c78-a0e4-604cfed5df9d.png

I seriously cannot remember dropping a ruined sewing kit in this place. Nor doing any mending here, either. This is really a bit spooky. Anyway, out onto the ice… while wandering over to the deer (which is on the ice the near the road) I see the remains of two other campfires. Whoever placed the rocks on my veranda adorned these fires as well. It makes me feel uneasy that the landscape is now even more cluttered that before. How I wish these burnt-out campfires would disappear again – after a couple of days or after the next blizzard. Anyway, I start one of the new rock-surrounded campfires next to the deer carcass, harvest 1 kg of venison and click on the fire to cook it… and do not see the cooking menu. Okay, this must have been moved. But where? In the inventory, I can „use“ the raw meat. Hmmm… „use“ the meat. What the hell does that mean? Sometimes I am mystified by Hinterland’s decisions. I can also drop it, maybe I can then right-click and move it over the fire? Lessee… ah! Cooking surfaces seem to get highlighted on two of the rocks surrounding the fire. Honestly, I found this out fairly quickly, but it is not exactly intuitive. Why not keep the old cooking menu? Whatever, closer inspection… aha.

screen_(-324, 25, 816)_ae75bac2-916c-4382-a95a-89a932328ed9.png

Cooking time is indicated… what? One hour and 24 minutes. That’s… long. But on the other hand… for cooking 1 kg of meat in cold environment next to a campfire it seems adequate. Good. I like it! I harvest another 1 kg and put it on the second cooking slot. A third slab… doesn’t fit. Can I place it on another rock? No. Near the fire? Yes, but it seems it won’t start cooking like that. Hotzn, think! Before the update, you could cook 1 kg in 20 minutes. So 3 kg in one hour. Now 2 kg take about 1.5 hours. So your cooking is now a lot slower, and comsumes more wood per kg of meat (or whatever else is cooked, presumably). That doesn’t seem wrong to me at all. I like it. Now… can I create more cooking slots on the fire… maybe by adding the recycled can? Hmmm… doesn’t seem like it… I can place it next to the fire (the two rock cooking slots are still occupied by venison), but can’t put anything inside. Now the first piece of venison is ready… aha… says 30 minutes until burned now. So I can’t leave food on the fire forever. Makes sense. I take it off and put on the next one. Then, trying to optimise and synchronize my harvesting and cooking, I let the fire go out… and learn that half-cooked venison becomes raw again when that happens. Relighting the fire, I want to make use of cooking-waiting-time by transporting the deer hide & guts to Fishing Camp, but realize that the scent bar springs up as soon as I pick up two of those items. That seems new as well. I am quite tired already and do not want to attract any wolves, so I carry the hide and guts one at a time, which of course is inefficient, and I only get them some 70% of the way, dropping them on the ice there (afraid to burn my venison, I return quickly each time to check the cooking progress). At some point night falls and I run out of sticks. I leave everything as it is (some raw venison lying around on the ice and such), just grab 2 kg of cooked venison and return to Jackrabbit for the night (my antibiotics are there).

screen_(-280, 76, 279)_2de34062-d43a-4c54-947c-d0fe8ba79f72.png

Day 48:

Waking up, I still suffer from parasites. I take more antibiotics, now it says 3 more doses to go. Parasites is quite a long affliction, and that’s how afflictions should be. Some more raw deer venison is waiting for me from yesterday, but I also still need to find that other wolf (and my arrow). I’ll go for the wolf first this morning, lest it rot away and I will never find the spot where it took my arrow. But, alas… a blizzard starts. Luckily, I find two rabbits in the snares behind my Jackrabbit cabin, so I take them inside and harvest them while the storm is blowing. Put the meat in the fridge for now, it will likely rot for lack of time to cook it. In the late afternoon, the blizzard dies down, and I set out to look for that wolf. Looking around, I see crows circling above Fishing Camp, and really – that other wolf has dropped almost at my doorstep – in front of the cabin beneath the workbench. I light another campfire there and set up a cooking scenario, but – trying to make use of the time by crafting an arrow – I manage to burn one of my wolf steaks. Strange, I thought the time to craft an arrow was much shorter than the hour the steak still needed. Anyway, some raw wolf mear remains, but I return to the deer carcass on the ice as I dropped some water bottles there, light another fire there and resume cooking the deer venison left there. I discover I can click on the cooking meat and an option „pass time until ready“. That’s a convenient and very welcome feature. I use it right away, works like a charm. The last raw venison goes into the second cooking slot, and I finally try out the recycled can in the first slot. Aha, I can only make 0.5 litres at a time. So I presume there will be pots out there which are heavier to carry around but have more capacity for cooking. Excellent – decisions to make with upsides and downsides. I cook the remaning venison and make some water. An icy wind springs up from the darkness and tries to blow out my fire. I feed it stick by stick, keeping the flames alive until everything is cooked to my satisfaction. Then it’s back to Fishing Camp and off to bed.

Day 49:

In front of the door of my Fishing Camp cabin (the one with the workbench behind it) there are still two pieces of wolf meat waiting to be cooked (or to rot). I decide to cook them, relight the burnt-out fire and align the burning time to the cooking time. Let’s see – maybe the meat will finish cooking like this and I can collect it later.

Hitting the road, I head towards Coastal Townsite, determined to find a supreme cooking pot (the cabin on Jackrabbit did not contain one… or I may have harvested it before the update). Lots of sticks go into my backpack on the way, then I climb the cliff to my left a little to gain some overview… at least five wolves are hanging out in town. Should I really go there? Of course I do, ha! Wolves, wolves, who is afraid of the big bad wolf, hm? Alright… hug the hillside… slowly… it’s a bit intense, I have to admit… I almost make it straight to Quonset when I am barked, so I run for it and make it inside. Phew.

Quonset Garage holds plenty of loot – almost all the basics, hatchet, hacksaw, bedroll, storm lantern, prybar… lots of food, some clothes… all that stuff I don’t need anymore. The best things for me are indeed another whetstone (these are quite rare so far) and another firestriker. No cooking pot, and on second thoughts the garage was not exactly the location one would find cooking utensils. I need to search the houses. Let’s hope I’m not caught in here now.

But then I see this:

screen_(-2, 2, -7)_6942ffea-c7c2-41a0-8f7e-f2714867aa70.png

And I’m happy to be here, since I really want to know if this fire barrel is better than a campfire at cooking efficiently. In other words: How many slots does it have? I brought some 80 sticks here, so there's room for experiments... lessee... hm. The barrel has two cooking slots and is therefore none better than the regular campfire.

screen_(-2, 2, -6)_52c528d2-3ed3-4b7a-b4fd-8c3f1d3d8db6.png

Night has fallen and there's not much else to do - I cook some water and then stay here in the Quonset Garage for the night.

3 hours ago, Hotzn said:

I decide to cook them, relight the burnt-out fire and align the burning time to the cooking time. Let’s see – maybe the meat will finish cooking like this and I can collect it later.

Genius idea! I shall be stealing that one.

8 hours ago, Hotzn said:

In the inventory, I can „use“ the raw meat. Hmmm… „use“ the meat. What the hell does that mean?

In modern Hinterlandish, it means the same as "eat". Never "use" raw meat now, please.

7 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Luckily, I find two rabbits in the snares behind my Jackrabbit cabin, so I take them inside and harvest them while the storm is blowing. Put the meat in the fridge for now, it will likely rot for lack of time to cook it.

Why not drop them outdoors? They will rot very fast in the fridge.

7 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Strange, I thought the time to craft an arrow was much shorter than the hour the steak still needed.

I think an arrow takes 1.5 hours to craft, so you probably just exceeded the time you had to salvage your steak.

6 hours ago, Hotzn said:

I decide to cook them, relight the burnt-out fire and align the burning time to the cooking time. Let’s see – maybe the meat will finish cooking like this and I can collect it later.

It works! The meat will wait for you on the stone to collect it later. Just be careful - the remaining hours/minutes indicated by the fire can be up to 2x longer than normal in-game time, due to the fire duration bonus that depends on the air temperature. From what I've observed, cooking time is normal in-game time. So you could burn your stuff easily if you don't take this into account!

One more tip: You can place a drink (coffee, tea) close to the fire, outside of the cooking slots, and it slowly warms up. When it gets hot, it stays hot there and doesn't burn or anything. A great way to keep a drink hot while you are working at the fire, and then drink it before leaving, for the warmth bonus it gives.

11 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

In modern Hinterlandish, it means the same as "eat". Never "use" raw meat now, please.

I am not an expert on modern Hinterlandish, but did notice that we now "use" clothing items as well. I would therefore claim that "use" may mean "eat" under certain circumstances, but may have different meanings under different circumstances, like "wear" or "take off". It's baffling that the Hinterlandians are able to communicate successfully with a very limited vocabulary. It may be possible that pronunciation plays a great role here.

Why not drop them outdoors? They will rot very fast in the fridge.

I know, I know. I can't help it, but I somehow have that feeling that they belong in the fridge. If Hinterland ever introduces wildlife stealing unprotected meat and outside containers, any cabin with an old fridge outside will become my favourite just for that putting-it-in-the-fridge feeling.

I think an arrow takes 1.5 hours to craft, so you probably just exceeded the time you had to salvage your steak.

It works! The meat will wait for you on the stone to collect it later. Just be careful - the remaining hours/minutes indicated by the fire can be up to 2x longer than normal in-game time, due to the fire duration bonus that depends on the air temperature. From what I've observed, cooking time is normal in-game time. So you could burn your stuff easily if you don't take this into account!

That'll be it. My memory was that an arrow takes 30 minutes to craft. I should pay more attention to what I'm doing. The time deviations you are talking about is what I had in mind when I was unsure whether I could leave the fire and meat alone.

One more tip: You can place a drink (coffee, tea) close to the fire, outside of the cooking slots, and it slowly warms up. When it gets hot, it stays hot there and doesn't burn or anything. A great way to keep a drink hot while you are working at the fire, and then drink it before leaving, for the warmth bonus it gives.

That's a useful hint - it didn't work for me with excess venison, but good to know it works for the drinks.

Day 50:

When feeding the fire last night, I clicked down my sticks too quickly and almost fed an unread book into the fire. Almost. Because the game recognized that I was going to burn an unread book and asked me whether I really wanted to do that. That’s a little feature which is very nice, and I was glad to see it. Thanks, Hinterland!

The morning sees me at 85% condition – somehow I am losing a little to the parasites here and there despite taking my 2 pills of antibiotics every day. Maybe if I exceed 12 hours between the doses I start losing condition? I won’t do any further testing of this now, but would welcome any substantial input from the TLD science community concerning this point.

Now… to get out of Quonset without getting bitten… I crouch and exit out the back door. Stay still and listen… my current headphones are crap, so I DO hear wolves stalking about, but can’t make out the distance and direction. I sneak towards the car, enter and exit on the other side. No bark so far. Now there is more or less open terrain ahead… hmmm… I have two standard stones on me and throw them off into two different directions I do not plan to go, and I hear wolves going after them. Good. I sneak out the back (towards the mountainside) and plunder two houses (no cooking pot unfortunately) until I reach the trail behind the town, then turn right and walk up the slope until I’m out of sight of the Townsite Wolf Gang. There is that other „Coastal House“ up here behind Coastal Townsite, and here, at last, I find what I’m looking for:

screen_(-4, 2, -2)_4c407e98-f1ef-48c6-a192-93f5a8cdb13a.png

It’s late afternoon, and I am quite exhausted, so decide to stay here. Harvest a pair of trail boots I found here and use the leather to bring my own trail boots back to 100%. Then it’s off to bed.

Day 51:

Waking up in the early morning hours, my condition has gone down from 85% to 83%. I presume it is more than 12 hours since I took my last antibiotics, which should qualify me for the next dose. Medical screen says I just need one more dose (of originally ten). I take it, and my parasites are gone. It’s interesting to note that no more sleep is required after the tenth dose… which somehow makes sense, since it is not sleep which is healing me, but the antbiotics. So far, so good. My maximum fatigue (or rather exhaust-o-meter) was lowered while the parasites were doing their work, so now I am not fully rested. Which, in the world of „rest as a resource“ is a good thing, since it allows me to immediately sleep 4 more hours and heal almost back to 100%.

Now what? I want to try out the cooking pot. Although I can imagine that it will be just like the recycled can… only with the difference that it will hold more snow/water. But trying out the cooking pot will come sooner or later anyway, since I will be taking it along. This feels good – a cooking pot or similar container is essential for any camping/survival trip and complements the available equipment in the game very well.

So I turn my mind towards the next achievement. I’m missing Deep Forest, so the task at hand is to keep a campfire burning for three days straight. Obviously, I want to do that in a place where it cannot be blown out. I think I would prefer a cave. Now which cave should I choose? I have never really established a base in a cave, and I have never really spent any substantial time in the Ravine. There used to be a cave there, and although there were deer bones in front of it it was uninhabited. WAS uninhabited. Aaand – I have never been to the bottom of the Ravine. So the Ravine it is.

Does this trip need further preparation? I think so. I should take along some snares to catch rabbits, because that will likely be the only renewable food source in the Ravine. Some matches to make fire, some cloth to repair my clothes and the bedroll. I need to return to Jackrabbit to collect the snares… so let’s go.

Nothing unusual happens on the way. Back on Jackrabbit, I collect some sticks to restock my base there. Also collect three rabbits from the three snares, and collect the snares as well. I harvest the rabbits inside the cabin, then relight my campfire on the veranda to cook the meat. It takes almost as long as a piece of wolf or deer meat. Hm. Considering the calories I get from rabbit, I’m not sure whether it’s still feasible to „use“ rabbit meat at all. On top of all the rabbit efficiency business, the wind changes direction and blows out my fire while I am cooking the second round of rabbit and reading Wilderness Kitchen at the same time. Whatever, a blizzard starts now and I get back inside. Night is falling anyway, so it’s off to bed.

Day 52:

I still have some water and cooked deer venison lying around on the ice where I harvested a deer, so I go out and collect that. Heading towards Fishing Camp from there, I am barked up by a wolf which lured behind a boulder. It goes for a decoy, but I lose a full kg of deer venison. At the Fishing Camp, I see my cooking experiment worked:

screen_(-758, 28, 679)_050972fd-baf4-4062-a84a-f65902b32203.png

Crafting another arrow and a fourth snare here at the workbench, I head back out onto the road towards Coastal Townsite, but head up the mountainside before reaching it. Then I reach the trailer above Coastal Townsite which will be my shelter tonight. Inspecting the surroundings a bit, I come upon a climbing rope. Hm… have I seen that before?

screen_(925, 106, 896)_b3f9a376-8868-4852-977c-3022ae2a2b9c.png

Too tired for today to climb it up, I check out Silent Clearing and do some mapping, then return to the trailer and go to sleep.

9 hours ago, Hotzn said:

I won’t do any further testing of this now, but would welcome any substantial input from the TLD science community concerning this point.

I've never contracted parasites myself, but what I've learned from the forum is that it lowers your condition even when properly treated.

8 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Considering the calories I get from rabbit, I’m not sure whether it’s still feasible to „use“ rabbit meat at all.

use :D During the 1000 days run I concluded that the sub-1kg pieces are best discarded, considering the time they need for cooking. The new cooking times can make rabbit usage entirely uneconomical.

On 10.6.2018 at 4:43 AM, Drifter Man said:

Coming back to this question - in my current "achievement" run, I have now spent quite some time in and around the Fishing Camp, also crafted a couple of things at the workbench there. Haven't seen a bear so far. Maybe the bear doesn't come to the Fishing Camo anymore in the current version.

6 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Coming back to this question - in my current "achievement" run, I have now spent quite some time in and around the Fishing Camp, also crafted a couple of things at the workbench there. Haven't seen a bear so far. Maybe the bear doesn't come to the Fishing Camo anymore in the current version.

There are several bear spawns on each map, but whether a bear spawns at a specific spawn is determined at the start of the game by RNG. For example, sometimes I get the bear at Trapper's, sometimes I don't. On my current run when I made it to ML I didn't have any bear on that map whatsoever.

Archived