Worked myself to death

Erutor

My 17th Interloper run was going well. I set up a home base on Jackrabbit Island, after a good start in Pleasant Valley (Radio Tower combat pants AND a hammer in the basement). In just over 30 days, I made a few successful fishing trips, and had a good rhythm of banking just a bit more food than I needed, and even splurged a few days to research a few books. I made my first rabbit glove and deer boots, harvested and cured saplings, and was ready to build my first bow. I loaded up with coal, and headed to the Riken, where I successfully crafted my first knife, axe, and 20 arrowheads.

Thrilled with my success, I thought I'd be clever, and do my crafting in the CH mine, instead of trying to work outside at Fishing Camp, or risk a deadly wolf encounter at Quonset. Oops... that's not a fire barrel in the mine, just a regular barrel. So, I head back to camp to re-stock and decide between Fishing Camp and Quonset. A blizzard rolls in. I've got plenty of coal on hand, so I shack up at the fishing hole near my island to stock up on salmon while the blizzard blows. I get tired, but the fishing is good. So good, in fact, that I decide to fish through the night after filling up on rainbow trout! As time passes, I notice my condition plummet, and cancel my fishing expedition.

What on earth? I'm warm, fed, watered, and under shelter, but my heart's pounding, and my vision is blurry.

I'm exhausted.

I had no idea that exhaustion would drain condition. I thought it only applied a penalty to maximum condition and prevented sprinting.

I'm doomed. I don't have a bedroll, and the blizzard is still raging. I drop everything in the hut, drink a cup of coffee, then another, and make a bee-line for my cabin. I almost make it. My heart's pounding, I'm freezing, and barely moving, but I see the familiar slope of the hillside, and the little cleft in the rock.

Then, through the snow, without warning, my death arrives.

It's a wolf, of course, and only a few yards away. I drop my last salmon, hoping to distract it, but the wolf has already decided to have the salmon and its bearer too.

I fade into the long dark, all for lack of a bedroll, and working myself into exhaustion.

Now I know... exhaustion WILL kill you.

Ah man! We've all been there in one form or another. And when you're on the cusp of making it to easy street - it's even more brutal to lose it all. Most people fall into two camps at his stage a) get angry-motivated and start another loper run right away or b) rage quit the game for a few days. Either way we all know the pain and can't wait to hear what the next chapter is!

Welcome to the forums :)

Archived