Hopeless Rescue Challenge Help, Please

piddy3825

Not sure if I missed something, but is there a time limit on Hopeless Rescue to complete the mission, not sure if I somehow missed that or else I wouldn't have been surprised when all of the sudden out of nowhere I get the Challenge Failed Screen and that's it.    i was just in the middle of shedding some weight in the bunker prior to climbing the rope and getting onto TimberWolf when just all of  a sudden it just pops up Challenge Failed.  Kinda angers me as I was having a good run...

Any feedback would be appreciated!

if you press the radial thing that displays food water heat and tiredness their should be a counter for 7 days. so you only get 7 days to get to the top of two and then haul you ass back to desolation point to shot the flare. to be honest its a hard challenge and I myself have never completed it. but don't be discouraged as many people have been able to do this challenge. it just takes a lot of the long dark knowledge. so yeah in a recap you only get 7 days to do it. good luck

The biggest thing with that challenge is changing your usual good habits. You just don't need to carry almost anything, as you're not going to need to store stuff for later. You'll find food as you go, so you don't need to carry a few days supply with you. Same with most tools. It's a very different play experience! 

cullam is right... you barely need to carry anything...you can find food / liquids on the way and decent warm clothes that DON'T hinder your mobility.. I think my best is 4 days 23 hours.... love this challenge

10 hours ago, Cr41g said:

cullam is right... you barely need to carry anything...you can find food / liquids on the way and decent warm clothes that DON'T hinder your mobility.. I think my best is 4 days 23 hours.... love this challenge

12 hours ago, cullam said:

The biggest thing with that challenge is changing your usual good habits. You just don't need to carry almost anything, as you're not going to need to store stuff for later. You'll find food as you go, so you don't need to carry a few days supply with you. Same with most tools. It's a very different play experience! 

after my slow start the first time around when i didnt realize i had a time limit... this last go round puts had me traveling well under weight but still carrying a rifle as i just shot anything that got in my way... got to a choke point in my route and could not evade the bear.  Shot him of course but he ripped me a new one.  died with two plus days remaining at the hollowed out tree on the last rope climb to the summit... pretty much sure hypothermia took me on that, as i didnt bring an axe this run, just a knife in case of wolf.  not enough sticks to stay warm enough... 

so if you dont mind sharing, what's a good load out and what is your strategy for dealing with aggressive wildlife?

^^^ I can't even remember how many times I tried before I had a successful run...but I have had four since. If you are only going to carry one tool make it the axe and not the knife...the axe will get you wood faster when you need it and is effective enough against wolves... and keep it sharp if you happen upon a whetstone. Both don't really add to your overall weight enough to matter.

Coffee is your friend...make lots of it...all of it you can find...it will keep you from getting tired and you can extend your awake time before needing to sleep... don't bother carrying much of anything... except a spare toque, mittens...for some reason when I get attacked these two are always the first to go...just eat what you find...

As for the rifle...I only ever use it to get food...never for defence against wolves... occasionally against the bear IF I can't skirt around it and I have no other choice, but 1 round is usually enough to send it running off... my last run I didn't even take one with me.

other than that.... just keep trying... sometimes it's frustrating but it so rewarding when things go right.

A flare or two can be good to just power your way through wolf territory. Stims are your friend! You don't need to save them for emergencies, so they're a good way of forcing yourself up additional climbing ropes. I'm definitely a fan of wasteful rifle usage for this challenge, too. 

• 3 weeks later...

I recommend keeping your fatigue bar above the half way point at all times (sleep when it is below this) especially when climbing TWM as a low fatigue will significantly reduce the speed at which your climber can climb ropes and move. Keeping this high not only means you move faster up the climbs but also means you get a smaller effect on your fatigue from the climb allowing you to carry on.

If you get to the summit always search through every container. Do not bother repairing clothing (unless you have to) as this cache should provide your survivor with plenty of warm clothes. 

From the summit, travel carefully down the mountain using the rocky side by the plane. This should allow you to reach the mountaineering hut from the summit in an hour or two. 

Before you set out plan your exact route and set targets for how long you want to take to get somewhere. For example, I will start with a survivor only if they start on the sunrise time and will then aim to get all the way to teh Farmhouse in Pleasant Valley before I sleep. You should always rest in caves or shelters in order to regain condition and stamina until neccesary.

Avoid wolf and bear areas as much as possible. I recommend taking the unamed pond to the logging camp to the track to the dam in ML, navigate the ravine, take the waterfall path and follow the river on the right to the farmhouse. Sleep. Then use the river to navigate to picnic place and then up to the rope climb (there is normally a Wolf here so either avoid it or kill it with a knife as this will be useful on the return journey). Go directly from the turbine to the first cave passage via the rope climb (avoiding the wolves). Sleep in this cave. Take the rope climbs up to secluded shelf then rest in this cave. Climb to the first shelf on the final climb then rest with a fire before finishing the climb. 

If possible, always bring coffee to reduce fatigue when climbing the mountain. 

Get the pistol, search the crates, then descend the mountain as previously said and reach the mountaineers hit where you rest. Only try to travel in good conditions. Once you re-enter PV use the picnic area to return to the river and navigate along the right hand side of this (look out for wolves) before crossing over and climbing to the road and then track. Navigate the cave system, enter CH. 

Avoid Quonset completely. Stay on high ground and cliffs using the trailer to sleep rather than entering the town as it is choc - a - block with wolves. Follow the road to the left to the crumbling highway. Here, travel along the ice rather than the road as the wolves here are very close. Get to the mine, navigate through it (rest to recover condition if attacked by a wolf) before quickly proceeding along the path to the church then down, cross the road (check for wolves) along to the lighthouse. Then enjoy the sunset and fire your flare. 

My record for that path is about 4 days. 

Also, don’t sprint. This will drain your energy way too fast and it is really not needed when you have warm clothing. If your clothing is good enough, you should just be able to walk without stopping unless for rest or coffee or whatever. 

Finally, remember that when you have the pistol you have about ten rounds and only 1 is needed at the lighthouse. Use the flares as they are very effective for scaring all wildlfe (wolves and bears) away. 

Just walk, enjoy the beautiful game and leisurely confirm to yourself that you are the last human alive. Good luck. 

Kind of an eye opener on the problem Hinterland is facing regarding the diffrent kind of players. I remember that most people here in the forum always discussed how to make things more challenging, now i see that for "new" players it is a diffrent story. I've also seen some youtubers trying TLD after the release and although story mode was Pilgrim-like, they struggled and thought the game is brutal.

The sad thing is that a few players (me included) couldn't enjoy the game anymore because we always wanted the new challenge and didn't see that for most of the players tld was challenging and fun enough.

Whatever you do, try to play without help/spoilers from others. The real reward is to complete challenges / survive  on your own and not to beat a record time.

Archived