Stacks, and quick drop

Doc Feral

I'd love the chance to create stacks of stuff that could be searched and interact like containers. Carrying too much weight? Wanting to establish a temporary camp somewhere? You'll surely drop a bunch of stuff in one place. Maybe extra tools, torches, charcoal, antiseptic bottles, or simply a load of firewood. If you don't have a container nearby you'll see everything on the ground (obvious), and if you need to pick up something in particular you'll have to move the mouse one pixel at a time waiting for the name to appear or simply pick up a dozen sticks before starting to see other things. If, say, ten objects are dropped without moving they should create a "stack" which should interact like a container.

Or at least: if you dropped 5 or more equal items (sticks, cat tails, tinder bundles, cloth...) in the same place you should have the chance to pick them up in bunches as it happens when dropping them or interacting with containers.

Quick drop. That's a quirk of mine. Selecting an item type and a key to drop one instantly would be great. I don't think I'm the only one marking a safe crossing of ice with some tinder bundles on the shore and on the middle of the ice, or using tinder bundles as makeshift path markers. Going through the menu is annoying.

10 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

Or at least: if you dropped 5 or more equal items (sticks, cat tails, tinder bundles, cloth...) in the same place you should have the chance to pick them up in bunches as it happens when dropping them or interacting with containers.

This would be great... I once dropped 100+ rosehips because I tought they would stack.... It was fun to pick them up. 

The quick drop also would be a great addition to the game!

I wish there was a way to decide which items go into backpack and which into pockets, belt, your back etc. Then you could quickly drop off the survivors backpack if needed which can give like -10 kg max weight penalty without it or limit to the number of items you can carry without backpack. Then when you don't carry your own survivors backpack you can take the ones that are found here and there which only gives +5 kg max weight to be fair. And then of course moose sacks -- a way to quickly drop those on the ground be good too. Instead of giving a bonus of +5 kg for a moose sack (and there is no real use of the second sack and more because that would be somewhat too much), I would better give like a 0.66 weight multiplier for everything that goes in every moose sack survivor has and apply a maximum weight limit for each sack like 6 kg: the survivor can effectively carry 6 kg which weights only like 4 kg per sack. And then again an option to quickly drop the sack (hotkey maybe?) on the ground is of a convenience.

• 7 months later...

Doing some necromancy.

I fell prey to fear for the possible collateral effect of the upcoming update/redux so I picked up all my humongous stash from the camp office and packmuled it all to the ravine cave. I can barely think at the horror of having to pick everything up from the ground.

Anyone else would like a "stacking" mechanic?

Archived