New region- location?

EricTheGreat12

As per described in the last dev diary, we are getting a new "nature region": no man-made structures. What I'm curious about, is the size of this region as well as where it will be located.

In February's dev diary, the image shows Astrid on the other side of the bus, on the side that is currently inaccessible. Arguing with members on Reddit, I think that this new region will connect Pleasant Valley and Mountain Town, located north of Mystery Lake; I say this due to the fact of Astrid's photo as well as the fact that the area is currently developed, although unfinished. However, others point out it could be anywhere. 

Where do you guys think this new map will be located? 

I do t know if the devs would show astrid's region before her episode came out. Maybe its connected to broken railroad by that strange fence. Or perhaps its connected to a glacier coming down from the back of Timberwolf. Ill have to check the maps and take a look at what looks like probable places.

16 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

I do t know if the devs would show astrid's region before her episode came out. Maybe its connected to broken railroad by that strange fence. Or perhaps its connected to a glacier coming down from the back of Timberwolf. Ill have to check the maps and take a look at what looks like probable places.

In the last 2 dev diaries, they've only mentionned 1 new region being developed, also saying that Episode 3 will take place in an area larger than Episode 2. Looking at the current island map, River Valley could only be located to the North of Coastal Highway and East of Pleasant Valley, or could be located between Mountain Town and Pleasant Valley. The problem with it being next to Broken Railroad, is that there isn't enough space to connect that area to the River Valley (it could be connected to just 1 region, but would make it a lot less attractive map to stay in if it's poorly situated).

Ps. Keep in mind that the image of Astrid only shows the other end of the caved in bus, not the region itself.

@EricTheGreat12, What Im trying to say is I dont think they will incorporate the region astrid will be in until that episode is released. One wouldnt want to have the community already explore the region before story mode takes place in it. That is why I dont believe it will be the region on the other side of the bus. I could be wrong however. 

I was wondering the same and if you think about the way story mode developed we are still missing a certain town up north, if you catch my drift. 

That is why I'm betting RV connects to the northern portion of the map so either north of ML connecting to PV and MT, or north of Mountain Town itself. The new region might serve as a transition zone as well to Perseverance Mills. BR is a minor region and I'm betting the Hunting Lodge remains the westernmost inhabitable builing of the map until the game is complete. 

Even more exciting, is the possibility that we get the Abandoned Prison in the future, in which case it would make sense for it to be surrounded by pure wilderness. This of course is purely whishful thinking on my part, but one can dream. 

Yes I've been wondering this too.

Due to this topic I got reminded about the map of Great Bear Island we received 2 years ago.
Although not everything we have today is on it, it still makes me wonder if the new region will be the red/orange one at the top right. Back in 2016 they stated that this region would be the storymode region for episode 3.

I know things like these change over time but if you look at the road of the tunnel collapse where the prison bus is located you can see that the connection with this new region and Pleasant Valley would make sense. Although this is entirely speculation since we don't know how the story would involve.
Interesting to think about though. :D

Great Bear Island map from 4 April 2016 Road to Story Mode content preview.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Given that there's already a small connecting region between ML and PV, I'm guess that it won't just be that. My guess would be that it will be somewhere near timberwolf, just because that area is both the least influenced by humans, and the most remote dead-end. 
And I think it's safe to say at this point that the old Great Bear Island map is no longer much use for predictions. The charcoal one probably represents the new state of the world. 

I bet it runs out of BR and heads north... long and narrow (you're in the river valley, right?) and will eventually terminate in Perserverance Mills when it's ready.

I bet that you'll get to it by going down that rope climb into the gorge on the western side of BR.

2 hours ago, stratvox said:

I bet it runs out of BR and heads north... long and narrow (you're in the river valley, right?) and will eventually terminate in Perserverance Mills when it's ready.

I bet that you'll get to it by going down that rope climb into the gorge on the western side of BR.

Keep in mind that the way through to Perserverance Mills according to Story Mode  is by going to Pleasant Valley, so I don’t think that situation to be plausible. 

Here’s why I disagree with the idea of having River Valley being connected to 1 other region only: as a region with no man made shelters to be found, it will be hard to survive there in the long term without having gathered enough supplies from other regions. If you limit the region’s access point, it will seem less tempting for players to explore and they wouldn’t want to survive in the region for more than a few days; there has to be benefit for going into the region knowing full well that it doesn’t have any man made shelters to be found nor will it have much resources.

If the devs could make River Valley an alternative to Mystery Lake ( since if you currently want to travel between various maps across the island, you will be forced to go by Mystery Lake map ) then more players would want to be walk into the new region. 

The thing is, if it's the region that eventually leads to Perserverance Mills, then it's going to be near the edge of the current maps and leading away... it won't be something that'll be used to be a connector among multiple regions that already exist. We already know it's north, but that's all we know... given that the only place to connect to it via PV is the Waterfall Cave, and that would mean it goes around TWM (and TWM's geography doesn't really look like it lends well to connecting to other regions. Further, the river near waterfall cave is flowing in the wrong direction for it to be a river valley going north.

I guess maybe opening up the end of the Long Curve in PV could do it. The water is flowing out from there, not in like with all the rest of the river courses in PV. It could turn north there and go along the western side of TWM, maybe with a connector to the waterfall cave in TWM and then continuing on to terminate in what will become PM.

2 hours ago, stratvox said:

The thing is, if it's the region that eventually leads to Perserverance Mills, then it's going to be near the edge of the current maps and leading away... it won't be something that'll be used to be a connector among multiple regions that already exist. We already know it's north, but that's all we know... given that the only place to connect to it via PV is the Waterfall Cave, and that would mean it goes around TWM (and TWM's geography doesn't really look like it lends well to connecting to other regions. Further, the river near waterfall cave is flowing in the wrong direction for it to be a river valley going north.

I guess maybe opening up the end of the Long Curve in PV could do it. The water is flowing out from there, not in like with all the rest of the river courses in PV. It could turn north there and go along the western side of TWM, maybe with a connector to the waterfall cave in TWM and then continuing on to terminate in what will become PM.

North- do you think that it’s located in the North because of the “steep ridges” advertised in the dev diary? 

This could be located anywhere on the island; I just think that it would be better situated between Pleasant Valley and Mountain Town.

We are about to go into Episode 3, and so far we haven’t been in Pleasant Valley, Timberworld Mountain, Coastal Highway and Desolation Point. It’ll be a while until we get anywhere close to Perserverance Mills and would be doubtfull that the new region will connect to what seems to be “the final location”. 

18 hours ago, Hawk said:

Which waterfall cave are you referring to? The one near the always existing preppers cache and the rope to TWM, at the Mystic River Picnic Area?

Mystic River picnic area. It's a loading screen cave, just be a matter of having a "cave in" open up new areas that lead to the new region.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:16 PM, EricTheGreat12 said:

North- do you think that it’s located in the North because of the “steep ridges” advertised in the dev diary? 

I think it's north because Jeremiah said Perserverance Mills is far to the north. That means that any region that one would take to get up in that general direction would also have to go north.

It seems the World map has changed? I had a recent update and now it looks like there is a ton more space opened up near CH and DP. This makes me wonder if at some point there will be a new connection at that caved in railroad tunnel in CH - over by the trailer across from the Ravine connection.

• 2 weeks later...

Again, I dont think Perseverence Mills plays into this new location because itd be revealing a story mode location when they should just release those when the new episodes come out. Otherwise we have the locations already fully explored by the time they put the campaign in there and it wouldnt have a very good effect on our story experience. 

What if it actually goes south down past the ravine by mystery lake? Thats a pretty big river isnt it? With lots of steep terrain.

1 hour ago, MarrowStone said:

Again, I dont think Perseverence Mills plays into this new location because itd be revealing a story mode location when they should just release those when the new episodes come out. 

The new region isn't Perseverance Mills, simply because Raph has stated that there are no man-made structures in the new region. Perserverance Mills will most likely be a town/village and perhaps even the prison

1 hour ago, MarrowStone said:

What if it actually goes south down past the ravine by mystery lake? Thats a pretty big river isnt it? With lots of steep terrain.

I agree, it does make sense that I would be located there; it would geographically make sense, and would make the area around Desolation Point and Coastal Highway a lot more interesting. With a lot of "climbing options" brought forward in the dev diary, it will be interesting to see how the climbing is integrated into the map while not being too similar to Timberwolf Mountain's many climbing ropes.

I hope that this map is just one giant nature playground: plenty of places to go while having many hidden locations and places to discover; it would make such an interesting and great map.

@EricTheGreat12, exactly, but i also meant I dont think the new region will be a zone leading up to it either. Iam also excited for this new wild playground, Timberwolf Mountain is my favourite map so far.

Other than the ravine it could also be located at the very western tip of broken railroad North or South of that river the broken bridge used to cross. That's two locations Id guess it most likely be.

2 hours ago, EricTheGreat12 said:

With a lot of "climbing options" brought forward in the dev diary, it will be interesting to see how the climbing is integrated into the map while not being too similar to Timberwolf Mountain's many climbing ropes.

Somehow through the all excitement I missed the significance of this tidbit. Is Raphael talking about free climbing vertical cliffs, or is he alluding to a hike up a mountain? Both cases no ropes involved. 

On the location, reading through my post back on this thread I get the feeling I might have been over-analyzing. A cave sprouted near Trapper's for Milton, River valley could just be anywhere. The ravine region makes a lot of sense too, so does BR and even the PV by the Long Curve. I just wish we got a date to look forward to, I know it's close and anything goes with the closed beta, there might be game breaking stuff that needs to be addressed but there's a holiday here tomorrow  and I got no work to do! 

I think we could see it connect to pretty much any region, though, as previously stated, I think it’s going to connect to more than one. Mountain Town is definitely a possibility, and I’d say Coastal could also work, as there’s a few open-ended spots that could be good for a transition zone, like the tunnel at the other end of the tracks near the trailer and possibly even the Rockfall. Also, Pleasant Valley seems possible, and opening up Long Curve would make it perfect, as the river flows through that section. 

Archived