Dev Diary — May 2018

Admin

I'm hoping it's either by the broken bridge in broken railroad or through the ravine by mystery lake. I wouldn't want to explore a location Astrid has to go through before episode 3. I want to experience the new story mode maps for the first time while in the story mode.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

I'm hoping it's either by the broken bridge in broken railroad or through the ravine by mystery lake.

I haven't yet got around to descending the ropeclimb that goes down somewhere into the ravine below the broken bridge. But I guess it could go from there?

Hinterland isn’t a major game-producing factory like EA likes to turn companies into. Hinterland is a studio that makes art, polished art, admittedly sometimes slightly buggy art but that always gets squashed in a few days. Hinterland have done an awful lot and added a huge amount to the game since I joined the community a few months prior to the Forlorn Muskeg update. 3 new regions. A completely new clothingysten complete with new items. The aurora. Episodes 1&2. Mapping. More music. New items. New crafting options. A completely new UI that looks and feels so much better for console gaming. The moose.  Customisable survival settings just to name a few things, not to mention the hundreds of bugs that have to be squashed by the team to keep the game working.

The Long Dark is a piece of art, an insight into another world, and so much more than your typical everyday EA factory built games.

On 5.6.2018 at 8:36 PM, MueckE said:

My concern is, that there is no test branch update. Normally it took at least a weak and a few patches in test branch to make an update ready for release. I don't trust any outsourced bugtesting anymore but have confidence in the community. So either Hinterland is risking again a buggy release or the release still is far away.

On 5.6.2018 at 9:03 PM, cekivi said:

Also note that Hinterlands has an internal testing pipeline too that updates proceed through. They've recently expanded their in-house testing by hiring new QA testers in the past few months. 

Arrows disappearing in the snow, Xbox release failed, people who can't even start the game because of a crash... and i haven't had a closer look because i'm one of them who can't play. As i said, with a test_build this wouldn't have happened. The new staff seems to be as good as the last one. If only Hinterland could be as small and dedicated like in 2015. Regular big updates, immediate hotfixes, communication with the community, progress.

• 1 month later...
  • Admin unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived