Jeremiah's Folly is just not right

Masterfrog

I love this game and have played it for years, but this Wintermute quest, Jeremiah's Folly, is just not right at all.

Going into it, Jeremiah (our survival teacher and ostensibly an accomplished hunter) tells us to act in a certain way when we're up against the bear; wait for it to come to you and shoot it when it's near (when you can see between its eyes) yet this DOES NOT WORK and is in fact THE WORST thing you could do to try and complete this quest. So, acting in accordance with immersion is a bad idea. Already, this is terribly wrong, but it gets worse.

The BEST way to complete the quest, that is the way that the game effectively REWARDS us for acting, is to break all immersion and just abuse the pathing system. This is TERRIBLE. It goes counter to everything this game tries to be.

Please rework and fix this quest. As good as this game is almost all the time, this quest and the mechanics involved are a terrible low mark for the game and stains the entire experience from then onwards.

It's been said before that if you shoot the charging bear when it's REALLY close it will truly be scared off. Not that I tried. Once I shot if with the rifle from far away, swapped weapon and used the flare gun as it was near, which will surely scare it off. Most of the time I waited for it to see me and charge and just used the flare gun. And from what I've read I'm not so original.

16 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

It's been said before that if you shoot the charging bear when it's REALLY close it will truly be scared off. Not that I tried. Once I shot if with the rifle from far away, swapped weapon and used the flare gun as it was near, which will surely scare it off. Most of the time I waited for it to see me and charge and just used the flare gun. And from what I've read I'm not so original.

I did try exactly that, several times. Not once did it work, the bear just doesn't care.

Archived