Cabin Fever forever??

SforzandoPoco

I've started playing TLD again for the first time in several months, and I seem to be permanently stuck with the cabin fever I developed when I last played the game. I've been spending days on end outside, and I sleep outside every night, sometimes just in the middle of an empty field, hoping that will finally get rid of it. But nope! No matter what I do, the cabin fever won't go away!!

Is this a bug or am I just not doing something right??? Please advise!!

Well, the same thing has happened to me, I was playing, going from house to house and always sleeping indoors. Then I generated a risk for cabin fever, so I was like, ok lets sleep outside tonight, I did and when I woke the risk got even greater! Ever since I haven't been able to get it to go away.

The addition of cabin fever to the Long Dark is one of the worst decisions in the history of video games and has caused several of my friends who used to play this game to quit and they have never come back.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in the developer meeting when that idea was proposed. 

The only reason I ever came back was because of the custom sandbox difficulty where I can correct several horrible design decisions made by the developers.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's how cabin fever works:  It calculates the risk based indoor/outdoor time during the past 6 days.  If you spent 100% of your time indoors during the past six days indoors, a single night outside won't be enough to clear your cabin fever risk.  When you get enough outdoor time, the risk starts to fall.  Until then, it continues to rise.

So how much is enough?  25% of your time in the past six days (approximately).  Note that a few places that look outdoors actually count as indoors -- for example, some caves.   It's easy to check for yourself whether your spot counts as outdoors: Check your journal and make a note of your total indoor and outdoor hours, then pass time for an hour.  Check the jourmal again and see which one incremented.

• 1 month later...

Since posting this, I have spent literal real-life hours outside in TLD. Like, just passing time in the middle of the woods, spending as much time as I can afford to without dying, for days at a time. I'm definitely past that 25% threshold, but I'm still afflicted with Cabin Fever, even after the most recent update on PS4 that purportedly "fixed cabin fever icon appearing in story mode, even though the player can not get cabin fever in story mode."

It's just a real shame, because right now the only way I can think to fix it is to reload a really old save and lose hours and hours of gameplay.

Archived