Throwing a hatchet/knife

Crazy

As the knife is one of the primary and easy to obtain tools, it would certainly be of use as a low-distance weapon. Hatchet would be brilliant in this role as well. Everybody knows this feeling of despair, when they're being chased by the pack of wolves but have no ranged weapon to protect themselves. A possibility to use the tools either as meele or low-ranged weapons could make the game even more realistic

First of all, welcome.

I disagree. Throwing a knife or hatchet, with the hope of the sharp part hitting something, is almost pointless unless you're a circus performer, and that with a still target. I've never managed to scare off a wolf with a stone, and I think the effect would be even worse. The damn things spin like crazy in the air and the chance the blade is facing the right side at the right moment is quite unlikely. Not to mention hitting a furry target: heavy fur can slightly but sufficiently deflect a blade which only relies on its own weight. For a knife you'd have to expect it to be facing correctly and strike the eyes, mouth or nose. The hatchet is heavier but the chance for the business end to connect is equally slim.

I'm good with knives (my fleshy self, not in game) but I'd never throw one. I'm not even sure throwing knives ever had some effect apart from making audiences cheer and looking cool.

This could bring up the issue of throwing stuff, apart from stones. If I have to go somewhere and there's a wolf in the way I'd surely prefer to chuck meat or guts far from me to distract the mutt while staying hidden, instead of going out and say "here wolfie wolfie wolfie, dinner's ready" and dropping the bait, because if that's the only solution I may as well go on a looting rampage for dog food and try to make friends. And throwing unbreakable things, such as bedroll, crowbar, firewood, extra ropes and so on, from a cliff before climbing down would help us to climb while reducing overload issues.

I've never found a knife in this game outside of the challenges, I couldn't imagine risking throwing it away. As an option sure, I'd also like to stab bunnies as I run on top of them. The question is is it worth their time to make it happen?

2 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

I've never managed to scare off a wolf with a stone

The trick is to smack 'em right in the face with it. Easier said than done, of course.

Far easier to use the stone to distract them, before they see you.

• 1 month later...

We are going to get a spear at some point in the future, according to the last devblog.

I don't think they've explained whether it's only for fending off attacks by stabbing, or if we're going to be able to throw it. But if we can throw it, it will lead to players to question the reasoning for not also being able to throw other things - like hatchets or hammers - at wolves as a deterrent. Because, I would throw something heavy like that at a wolf to try and scare it away if I had the chance, rather than wait for it to start biting my face so that I could strike back with the tool in my hand! (Especially if I had a back-up melee weapon.)

Unless youre carrying multiple hatchets, you best not miss... and throwing a lightweight hunting knife at a tough, thick furred, object will most likely be no more effective than a rock.

However, these days I seem to be getting detected by wolves even further than I can throw a rock for distraction. I used to never drop bait due to it always dropping the piece of meat I want, or the crucial guts I need, but now its becoming a necessity.  I didnt know hitting them in the face with a rock works though! Cool! Must be difficult though.

On 5/21/2018 at 10:35 PM, hoasd1 said:

i like throw a spear at the wolf not hatchet or knife.

but why not add sneak system to kill the wolf with melee tool.

Being able to craft a spear with one of the wood types and scrap metal would be a nice feature to deal with wolves. But the 'sneak skill' is completely unrealistic.

Archived