Can I play "The Long Dark" with Intel(R) Pentium(R) and 3.89GB usable RAM on my laptop?

Hello!

I want to buy "The Long Dark" for my son, but I don't understand anything about the technical requirements.

The minimum requirements for "The Long Dark" page on the forums says:  

• Processor: Dual-Core Intel i5 CPU @ 2GHz+
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Intel 4xxx Series w/ 512MB VRAM or better
  • Storage: 1 GB available space
  • Sound Card: Any on-board chip will work.

I have Windows 10 on my laptop, but the laptop's processor is:   Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3710 @ 1.60GHz  1.60GHz

Will I be able to play "The Long Dark" on my laptop then?

Also, my laptop says that its Installed RAM is "4.00GB (3.89GB usable)".

What does "usable" mean? Can I still play "The Long Dark" with such RAM?

Another question is  "Sound Card: Any on-board chip will work" in the minimum requirements.What does "on-board chip" mean? 

In short, will I be able to play "The Long Dark" on my laptop with the specifications I have pointed out above?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

P.S.:  My laptop's system type is:  64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Hi there! The specs you've got are pretty much the minimum system. Your son will probably need to turn the graphic settings to "low" to get decent framerates, but it should run.

Let me put it this way. You can actually get the program to execute on any system that has the minimum software requirements given enough swap space (swap is a disk file that is used to backstop RAM) but if you have less than that it won't really be playable as a game; your framerates will be so low that it'll be unplayable. The minimum system requirements are there to tell you if you've got enough hardware to actually play the game. Generally, with games, more is better... but it'll run. And, of course, as time passes and you upgrade your computers over time, performance of the game will improve.

TLD has a LOT of replayability (imho, of course ;) ), so your son should find it more enjoyable as he accesses better hardware over time (gets a job, buys a computer, and all that). I'd say go for it... it's a wonderful game.

Archived