True Simple Arrows

VoidCamel

Would it be possible to get a crafting recipe to make fire hardened wooden arrows? they would not be very adept at taking down anything larger than a rabbit, and would in fact not damage bears at all, but it is more practical then throwing rocks but also marks a survival mile stone. You have survived long enough to create simple arrows, making your life a little bit easier until you advance further to metal arrows.

Would they still cost saplings?

While I do agree a variety of arrows to choose from would be a nice touch, if fire-hardened arrows cost saplings I'd wait to make metal arrows anyways. Saplings are pretty hard to come by.

However, perhaps we could do with a way to make arrowheads without the forge? Perhaps stone ones or use the hammer to flatten out spoons? 

I think throwing rocks were a step in the right direction, we needed an early means of food procurement, especially for interloper. They just take practice.

Perhaps bone arrows could be your answer. 

or use the hammer to shape stones into arrowheads. You could limit it to only a 10% chance of getting a usable arrow vs hammer wear to make it a stop gap or emergency option, rather than spamming 1000 rock arrow heads and negating the need for metal arrows.

or something.

This is definitely a topic that has come up before. Many suggestions very similar to the ones that have been posted above have been forwarded, however at this point nothing is been implemented. I think it's a good idea, even doing something such as fletching of Flint or such things as that  to create arrowheads. 

Another thought I had on this was this, if you can use a hacksaw to cut up a fir branch into firewood, then why not be able to use that hacksaw to make rough arrow shafts out of fir?  You could then use the current arrowshaft mechanic to turn those into finished shafts. And I understand that that would require implementing some new mechanics and Hinterland may not be excited about such an idea, but it is a thought. 

I think its about balance as we all know, well maybe players that have played this game for years!

I think it might be a great idea to add some type of pre harden arrow. Though they would only last 1 or 2 shots? but how do you limit the use of this new arrow? it will make all other harden metal tip arrows useless? I think they devs know where they are going.

What I want to see is the quiver? to store our arrows?

I think its about balance as we all know, well maybe players that have played this game for years! ... I think they devs know where they are going.

Agreed, @nicko, you're spot on there.  I as well have played TLD for years and if nothing else, Hinterland has had a steady eye on the horizon, while also keeping there eyes on the immediate path before them.

I think it might be a great idea to add some type of pre harden arrow. Though they would only last 1 or 2 shots? 

Again, I completely agree.  They need to be transient so as to prevent them from supplanting the primary arrows. Hence the thought of making them from an inferior wood source (and a readily available one).

but how do you limit the use of this new arrow? it will make all other harden metal tip arrows useless? 

I think the best way to limit their use and to prevent them from rendering the primary arrow moot is to limit their use to small game...rabbits.  Just my take on it, of course.

What I want to see is the quiver?

I could not agree more! Maybe then arrows would not be as much of a weight burden as they can be now.

My roommate (who doesn't play the game) constantly brings this up whenever I mention making arrows in-game. "Why can't you chip stone to make arrowheads?" he asks. I keep telling him it would be a balancing issue, but honestly, I think he's right. The mentions above about quivers and arrows that only kill rabbits were pretty cool . . . my question is this: what use are arrows that only kill rabbits when we already have stones? What if we made it so stones couldn't stun rabbits like they do (I mean, how realistic is that really?) and replace that mechanic with easily crafted arrows? But, then, making a bow would be a little harder without rabbit guts as an option (yes, I'm aware of deer carcasses--that's why I said "a little harder").

Archived