Hunting Moose

Cattleman

So the other day I stumbled upon a moose in ML near the small cabin just north of Unnamed Pond.  He was milling around the clearing with the rabbit grove. I was able to creep up onto one of the partially fallen trees rather close to him. I then waited in a crouched position until he presented a close head shot. I shot him in the head with the rifle, he shook his head and took off running. A short distance away he turned around and started to calmly walk back to the clearing where he began milling around again, but he definetally acted as if he was wounded (different noise, and body movement). I was still crouched in the fallen tree and again waited for a close head shot. And again I shot him in the head, this time he dropped in his tracks.

So my theory is that if you shoot a moose from a concealed location and then do not give chase or reveal yourself he will return shortly. Thereby presenting you with another shot. This is of course not tested as I have only ever seen one other moose that I was forced to shoot 3 times in the head (killing it) as he charged me.

So has anyone else had similar experiences like this with moose? Or has anyone figured out some other way to reliably and successfully hunt moose?

On 2/13/2018 at 5:26 AM, Prestermatt said:

I'm still just trying find one of the &@$#% things.  Camping out in Milton Basin was fun at first, but the excitement is wearing thin.

But I will try to remember to report back when I've succeeded.

Try to find a location with scratched up trees. From what I've observed, moose spawn more frequently in those locations. You still need to be patient though, moose are supposed to be rare so be prepared to wait for about 10 days or so.

So I just got a moose on my custom play through... It was on the pond in front of the Hunting Lodge in BR. And my theory holds true. My first shot I was standing on the ground at quite a distance and I believe I hit him in the neck, and I must have been out of his visual alert area. He ran off a short distance then returned. At which time I snuck a little closer, the second shot hit in the ribs, since I was much closer he charged and a third shot to the head dropped him.... 

So I believe that if you shoot and don't kill a moose from a location that he can't reach OR from hiding he will run off a short distance but will return if you don't reveal yourself. This will allow you to get another shot.

So I got another moose in the same play through... It was by the wing in TWM... I was actually hunting bear and saw the moose. So I climbed up on a downed tree and was waiting for him to get closer, while waiting I turned around to see my bear very close. Be fore I could get an arrow ready the bear charged the tree and ran around beneath me while I shot him with arrows, I finally got a head shot and he went down.

Then I turned back around to see my moose was getting closer but still some distance away. He was lined up and walking straight at me so I took a hailmary shot with the bow and it landed on target. He then got mad and charged (I believe this was cause I was directly in front of him, even though I was some distance away). I got a second arrow in him Before he reached the tree, then he ran around beneath me just as the bear had. It took a few tries to get a good head shot and he went down.

The following pic is the end result. Between the bear and the moose I shot all 12 of the arrows I had with me. You can still see a few left in the bear but I had already started to pull them out of the moose before I decided to take this pic. I had been directly above them on the downed tree that you can see some of in the upper right of the pic.

0219181536.thumb.jpg.be7ffaa98b4d70c3a632c2d827aea7f7.jpg

10 hours ago, Cattleman said:

<snip>

The following pic is the end result. Between the bear and the moose I shot all 12 of the arrows I had with me. You can still see a few left in the bear but I had already started to pull them out of the moose before I decided to take this pic. I had been directly above them on the downed tree that you can see some of in the upper right of the pic.

0219181536.thumb.jpg.be7ffaa98b4d70c3a632c2d827aea7f7.jpg

I've had a great deal of success at that exact spot.

As funny as it sound, I saw a moose only once ... like 20 minutes after starting the game for the first time.  I saw it walking around near the barn at the Trappers Cabin in the Mystery Lake region. I was like, "wow nice moose" ...without knowing that those were that rare. I was naked like a worm and running to the cabin for some heat at that really early stage.

Now like 60 hours in the game, I never cross the path of another one LOL. I saw that one once ...that's it.

Same here.. Shoot a moose while not well hidden and you're in for a stomping.  Highly recommend you climb a downed tree, or a large rock that prevents charging, in case you are spotted.  Shoot a moose from a hidden location and don't reveal yourself (shoot while crouched, stay crouched?), and the moose will retreat after being hit but wander back to roughly same path it was on when hit.  Takes a couple or three shots, depending on how well you hit it each times, it seems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived