Let's talk about The Long Bright

Fellow Survivor

So in a nutshell we all love the the beautiful, deadly wilderness that is the long dark and we want more, right? So why not - The Long Dark in a the desert/savanna instead as a stand-alone game or an expansion.

-explore a deadly expanse of desert/savanna with quicksand, sandstorms, deadly predators
-manage your temperature so you don't overheat
-use shadows(shade) to keep cooler
-keep your hunger, tiredness and thirst to keep your condition up
-hunt, repair clothes, explore, craft - just like the long dark
-lots of options for both predator and prey
-

Prey(?):
-camels
-elephant (rare and kind of like the moose - only aggressive if provoked - stampedes)
-armadillo (tough to think of something small like the rabbit)
-

Predators(?):
-hyenas
-crocodiles would be cool if you had to collect water from oases(oasis plural)/rivers 
-lions
-

Miscellaneous features/topics:
-vultures (crows)
-boomerang(?)
-cacti for sustenance(?) 
-sunburns(don't know too many heat related afflictions - headaches/nausea??)
-jungle biomes(?)
-

Possible problems (I know my idea isn't flawless):
-collection of water
-how clothing would work
-using buildings to cool down? (electricity would probably have to be available but difficult to attain - fuel for generators?)
-

Thank you for (hopefully) reading through my idea!
I am most definitely open for all feedback (let me know of extra features and whether or not this idea would be realistic); hence why i have left dashes in each subsection for extra features.
Finally, if you loved the idea, please spread the word and link this forum as an original ; )

:::Note::: (?) - not sure if possible/unfinished list/idea ) :
:::Note 2.0::: - I am no expert in deserts or the like and that's why some ideas may not be the best/fully developed

13 hours ago, Seshins said:

I believe the old roadmap had seasons planned - so the area would obviously go through spring, summer and autumn (fall for you heathens) so you would have to face the challenges associated with those seasons.

Yes i have seen the roadmap but I don't think that a summer in Canada would turn loads of snow into sandy dunes, although I do still look forward to seasons feature : )

On 14/02/2018 at 4:10 PM, Fellow Survivor said:

Could you please explain what you mean, I didn't quite understand ) :

In northern Canada, during the spring and summer, there are many carnivorous insects: mosquitoes, black flies, horse flies, and deer flies, etc. They are very numerous and their bites are painful and will cause lesions that last for a few days and are painful and itchy.

Did I say numerous? Maybe legion would be a better term. The mosquitoes will pretty much drive you indoors at dusk; it is possible to have several hundred of them on you at once. You have to experience it to understand it. Deer flies are well known for taking a particularly large hunk of your flesh when they bite you, and their secretions mean that it will not heal up for a few days. Quite painful. Summertime insects in the Canadian north are not to be taken lightly.

10 hours ago, stratvox said:

In northern Canada, during the spring and summer, there are many carnivorous insects: mosquitoes, black flies, horse flies, and deer flies, etc. They are very numerous and their bites are painful and will cause lesions that last for a few days and are painful and itchy.

Did I say numerous? Maybe legion would be a better term. The mosquitoes will pretty much drive you indoors at dusk; it is possible to have several hundred of them on you at once. You have to experience it to understand it. Deer flies are well known for taking a particularly large hunk of your flesh when they bite you, and their secretions mean that it will not heal up for a few days. Quite painful. Summertime insects in the Canadian north are not to be taken lightly.

@stratvox Ouch! Sounds pleasant ^_^. But thanks for telling me, it makes me realise how much actual research you'd have to do to pull my idea off. What do you think about a similar game in a different environment?*

*Not that there's anything wrong with Canadian wilderness, wouldn't be here if I didn't love the current game! 

7 hours ago, Fellow Survivor said:

@stratvox Ouch! Sounds pleasant ^_^. But thanks for telling me, it makes me realise how much actual research you'd have to do to pull my idea off. What do you think about a similar game in a different environment?*

*Not that there's anything wrong with Canadian wilderness, wouldn't be here if I didn't love the current game! 

Oh it's beautiful up north here in the summer and on a nice sunny day with a nice breeze to keep the bugs off it's extremely pleasant, but at dusk when the mozzies come out it's really something else. Mind you I'm talking in the bush here; it's not so bad in our cities because there's not a lot of habitat for the bugs... but every summer you'll see ads on TV reminding people to keep track of any standing water to help keep the mosquitos under control; they're generally done under the "ruin a mosquito's sex life" line as they need stagnant water to reproduce.

I like the idea, but that'd have to be a separate game... personally, I'd love to do "The Long Dark: Killarney" based on the Killarney region of Ontario just north of the Georgian Bay on Lake Huron. It's a beautiful area.

It'd be awesome to have a region-making utility for people to create their own regions and full maps. You'd probably need to do a bit more generalisation of the overall engine to really get that going... handling the opposite of freezing to death (heat exhaustion) would be necessary for example, but then folks could create their own areas and create mini-games like TLD: Sahara! TLD: Devil's Island! and so on. And yeah... some way of modelling insect predation on a survivor would be necessary.

All this is highly speculative... one could call it wishful thinking! :D

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 1:00 PM, hozz1235 said:

@stratvox, while you were talking about mozzies, I couldn't help but notice your avatar picture as well - looks like you are scratching a bite! :D

Nope, I wasn't... I was actually having a chat with someone down at my local when that pic was taken :)

Mind you, I've scratched my fair share of insect bites, that's for sure.

On 2/12/2018 at 10:52 PM, Fellow Survivor said:

So in a nutshell we all love the the beautiful, deadly wilderness that is the long dark and we want more, right? So why not - The Long Dark in a the desert/savanna instead as a stand-alone game or an expansion.

Pretty sure Hinterland commented on this ages ago, saying that would require and different game and story. So I wouldn't expect this to happen in TLD, maybe the TLDX, x being whatever you think sounds good lol.

Archived