Multi player / co op mode

Supermarioman1

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, raginglion00 said:

Wat would be cool is if it spawned you and your friend in two random locations so that it would allow you two to survive on your own with the goal of finding each other.

This is the first time I've ever seen a multiplayer concept that had any appeal to me.  Trying to track each other down, leaving clues, etc.  would be kind of fun.

Multiplayer threads are always the worst part about this community....

First of all, wrong forum- please refer to the Wishlist Forum next time around. 

It’s not going to happen because Hinterland has stated a billion times already that they won’t be doing it. This is not my word- Hinterland has said that multiplayer isn’t happening on these forums and on Twitter. Modders may do it later, but until then it isn’t happening.  

I get it but in a world dominated by multiplayer games its a bit of a change for some people especially new players. And like i said its just a thought that some people have that they think would make the game better or friendlier to the video game community as a whole. Like i mentioned i know this game will likely never have multiplayer but its just a fun thought to have. I mean imagine it you get dropped in the mountain town and then your fruend gets dropped in forlorn muskeg but you two have no idea where each other are and voice chat would be proximity so that you can't just tell each other where you are and move there. You two would have to survive on your own until you tracked each other down and since the game would still be PvE work together to survive. It might also be cool to make the injury system even more severe so that if you break or sprain you leg or crack a rib you can do even less and your friend has to take care of you by bandaging you and bringing back food making it harder for the both of you. If one of you die your gear can be taken by the other guy to survive and it becomes normal survival mode you can't invite the person back in you would have to start a whole new map or wait till you died. Thats how i imagined it going at least.

The idea that you would have to track your friend down in a multiplay / co op would be awesome, except of course you could chat over voip and tell each other were you are. but i do like the idea of tracking another human down rather than just your ex who crashed in the same place as you but could not be bothered to try find you. Hell she only had to check out the wreckage ! Last favour i do for the woman !!

On 2/23/2018 at 11:17 AM, raginglion00 said:

I get it but in a world dominated by multiplayer games its a bit of a change for some people especially new players

If you are mad at a game for not conforming to your ideas yet it has been said that this game is not going to have the things you want in it, then why bother? You are just being an ignorant consumer who doesn't do their research and is acting entitled. If you want a multiplayer game, go find something else

8 hours ago, Supermarioman1 said:

The idea that you would have to track your friend down in a multiplay / co op would be awesome

So you find them... then what? This aspect of finding someone else in the game gets stale very quickly considering that this can get boring very fast. I really don't understand how some people find value in this in the long term.

On 2/23/2018 at 3:52 PM, EricTheGreat12 said:

Yet there’s one that pops up every week

These threads get very annoying very fast

So go read something else. no one is making you read this. it was meant to be a discussion to see if people like or dislike the idea. nothing more. sorry i didn't buy the game instantly and havn't been on the forums long. 

Hinterland has stated fairly clearly that MP won't be part of TLD. However, they don't have anything against the community discussing concepts, that could be used for future games. This is what I have understand so far and I've been around for a while. 

This said... while I do not support the hostility in general, I do understand the annoyance that @EricTheGreat12 expresses, and I think its more based on the trend to build a new thread everytime. Why not pick any of the gazillion posts about adding multiplayer and keep the discussion centered in one point? Why do people feel the need to start over the same discussion? I'd say this topic would be much richer if people could read what has been said in the past first, and elaborate forward. Otherwise we are just stucked in the same 1-2-3 secuence everytime ;) 

Of course, this is not an exclusive problem of this forums, is widespread about the net, but it certainly add to the annoyance factor. 

2 hours ago, Supermarioman1 said:

So go read something else. no one is making you read this. it was meant to be a discussion to see if people like or dislike the idea. nothing more. sorry i didn't buy the game instantly and havn't been on the forums long. 

(Breathe in ... Breathe out...)

If I click on the Wishlist Forums or the Discussion Forums, I expect to see productive conversations, conversations that encourage me to engaged in them. If I see a topic that’s been talked about again and again, I notice it and then move on. 

The problem with multiplayer threads, is that they pop up over and over again almost every month! Only once did I find a multiplayer thread where the initial poster had constructive ideas to implement the concept; the rest of these threads are just people asking for multiplayer without having any solid ideas, and it makes the discussions stale, uninteresting and just frankly a copy paste of other multiplayer threads. 

I wouldn’t be talking like this if you had a proper list of ideas and concepts that would allow the Long Dark’s gameplay to adjust to multiplayer. Asking the community for ideas for a topic they’ve heard about hundreds of times previously and people aren’t willing to waste their time in discussion. 

Please i dont think this was supposed to start a whole thing like this. We are newer to the forums and we dont mean to annoy anyone. I did already know TLD would have no multiplayer but i dont think discussing ideas for it is as bad as you are making it out. I love the game as is. I play it often but i also like to play with my friends. And a lot of other people do 2. I understand that TLD will never have multiplayer. Trust me i did my research for years until the ps4 version came out cause i cant afford a pc. But going off on some people because they are using the wrong forum or might enjoy discussing a multiplayer feature isn't the way to settle this. The best thing is to just ignore them instead of wasting your time arguing over something you really dont care about. So plz if you want this community to continue to grow in a positive direction just accept that people make mistakes and dont know as much as you do about this game as you. This dude just wanted to see what people would want from multiplayer in the slim chance hinterland changes their minds about the game being purely single player. He was not demanding it he was just seeing if anyone else wanted it and how it could be implemented. I threw in my ideas to try and start a discussion on how it may be done and i havent seen you EricTheGreat attempt to add anything to it either. So i say again if you see a discussion about multiplayer on these forums dont click on it. It is probably new players like us that just would like to talk about the idea.

1 hour ago, raginglion00 said:

Please i dont think this was supposed to start a whole thing like this. We are newer to the forums and we dont mean to annoy anyone. I did already know TLD would have no multiplayer but i dont think discussing ideas for it is as bad as you are making it out. I love the game as is. I play it often but i also like to play with my friends. And a lot of other people do 2. I understand that TLD will never have multiplayer. Trust me i did my research for years until the ps4 version came out cause i cant afford a pc. But going off on some people because they are using the wrong forum or might enjoy discussing a multiplayer feature isn't the way to settle this. The best thing is to just ignore them instead of wasting your time arguing over something you really dont care about. So plz if you want this community to continue to grow in a positive direction just accept that people make mistakes and dont know as much as you do about this game as you. This dude just wanted to see what people would want from multiplayer in the slim chance hinterland changes their minds about the game being purely single player. He was not demanding it he was just seeing if anyone else wanted it and how it could be implemented. I threw in my ideas to try and start a discussion on how it may be done and i havent seen you EricTheGreat attempt to add anything to it either. So i say again if you see a discussion about multiplayer on these forums dont click on it. It is probably new players like us that just would like to talk about the idea.

If you want me to positively answer these threads, put in the effort and give a list of ideas. It’s not that hard

we know that the game wont have multi player or co op from Hinterland, but maybe the game could be thrown open to the modding community who do some fantastic work. I dont want to waste my time arguing with anyone over the merits or placement of comments so im not gonna.

I agree super mario man. And ericthegreat i did put out some ideas in an earlier post you know the try and find each other thing that was stupid apparently. God i should have never signed up to these forums cause of people like you who. This is how communities for games start to fall apart. 

46 minutes ago, raginglion00 said:

And ericthegreat i did put out some ideas in an earlier post you know the try and find each other thing that was stupid apparently. 

I never said it was stupid; read over what I said and start again.

Another thread 

started by a member called Space_Taco put in the effort and  I had a huge amount of respect for him, because he was not only open to discussion, he actually came out with an elaborate list of ideas. Instead of whining and complaining, how about you give me a list of constructive ideas so that we could have a constructive conversation? 

3 hours ago, Supermarioman1 said:

we know that the game wont have multi player or co op from Hinterland, but maybe the game could be thrown open to the modding community who do some fantastic work. 

On 3/2/2018 at 9:34 AM, Supermarioman1 said:

because it adds to the game. perhaps at some point you would be able to build your own house, after all with all the wood you should be able to do a log cabin. and not one of those tiny cabins with no use.

So let me try to counter..

The Long Dark currently suffers from gameplay that encourages the player to rely on man-made structures, therefore making the use of snow shelters rare and the use of being out in the wilderness pointless. By making a big large cabin for you and the other player, you will always have a safe space to fall back on and you will have a weaker connection between player and nature. 

As I pointed out in another thread previously, this game could use a lot more nature based building (little tents out of sticks and branches for example) instead of custom made man-made structures. The game already has enough cabins, homes and various different buildings that we can use.

Sir we are open to duscussion but you are trying to shut this thread down because you find it annoying. The idea for tents sounds like a good idea but the problem i see with tents is they dont really offer wind protection. This could be countered simply by placing it next to a rick face. The reason the game is kinda man made structure based is cause it is an apocalypse game as well as wilderness survival. If multiplayer was added which it wont be they wouldnt have to change a thing it would add to the difficulty of having multiple people with limited supplies. The only downside to multiplayer would be the time system for taking things apart and building fires and stuff. They could set it on a fixed time but that could break some things like fires causing them to run out faster or lasting to long. As for taking things apart they could take time out of the equation and cause you to lose more calories as a result of breaking stuff down. Of course these both have upsides and downsides and im sure there would be a better way around it

11 hours ago, raginglion00 said:

Sir we are open to duscussion but you are trying to shut this thread down because you find it annoying  

Again, you aren’t understanding my last few posts; go back and start again. 

11 hours ago, raginglion00 said:

The idea for tents sounds like a good idea but the problem i see with tents is they dont really offer wind protection. This could be countered simply by placing it next to a rick face. The reason the game is kinda man made structure based is cause it is an apocalypse game as well as wilderness survival. If multiplayer was added which it wont be they wouldnt have to change a thing it would add to the difficulty of having multiple people with limited supplies. The only downside to multiplayer would be the time system for taking things apart and building fires and stuff. They could set it on a fixed time but that could break some things like fires causing them to run out faster or lasting to long. As for taking things apart they could take time out of the equation and cause you to lose more calories as a result of breaking stuff down. Of course these both have upsides and downsides and im sure there would be a better way around it

If you rely on man made structures, first you are relying too much on human structures and you might as well ignore nature all together. That is not what the game is trying to convey. 

This is not Minecraft; devs will never give us the ability to make castles

I think we are talking about 2 completly different things. Im trying to put up some ideas for multiplayer with how the game is right now. You on the other hand are talking about relying on nature. You do rely on nature. 85 percent of my play throughs are probably spent exploring  the wilderness trying to map out the next route to another area without getting mauled by a pack of wolves or a bear or now even a moose. The reliance on man made structures and items seems pretty balanced to me. I mean the game is pretty brutal. I remember when i first started playing i froze to death cause i couldnt build a fire and then again with those darn wolves. I only survived my third time because i found the trailers by the dam in mystery lake. My point is it seems the reliance on buildings is to even out the brutality of the out doors. Though i agree it could be a change in pace if buildings were fewer or there were tents i think that should be an option cause it would not be friendly to new players. And no im not saying the game should "conform to how i want it" but rather it should offer a challenge for new and expierienced players but should not be too hostile for those who might just pick up the game or bought it on sale or something. To sum up buildings and reliance on man made things may cause distance from nature in game it is necessary to balance the game and draw in more people. Though i do agree that adding in tents or making snow shelters more appealing to early players i do not think the amount of buildings should be lessened without an option to do so cause as said the game as is is very brutal.

Now as for more thoughts on how multiplayer might work, it would be interesting to see if players would share supplies some. It would be cool to add in a mechanic that let you divide like a piece of fish or break a protein bar and give it to the other person. Of course this means you both have food but now you only have half of what you had before in calories. Also additions to the injury system could be gun shot wound and arrow wound in case of hunting accident. Imagine it you and your friend havent found each other and you go out with your rifle and fire at what you think is a bear and it turns out you just shot your friend wearing bear fur in the arm and now you have to treat it! And about the time system difference i thought it may be best to allow the players to decide how long the day night cycle is in real time. Now again it would simplify breaking things down and crafting things to like 7 Days to Die level but it would be a good in between.

Archived