So... any news?

Hotzn

42 minutes ago, Blinkin said:

I'm expecting news in about 2-3 months from now.
Dev cycles will become longer and longer the more content the game gets. At least for most development projects this is a normal thing. :)

Raph said he was working on a status update post for release soon, I'm hoping by the end of the weekend.

After checking his Twitter I find this hour old update on the update:

test branch? I presume that is their internal one? pretty sure HT said they will not be having any new public testing branches? can HT confirm this?

200 plus bugfixes = awesome can't wait.

How about sand box updates? love an update on this, still play sand box most.

On 2/16/2018 at 12:33 AM, nicko said:

test branch? I presume that is their internal one? pretty sure HT said they will not be having any new public testing branches? can HT confirm this?

I was also confused by this part of his tweet. I can't find any mention from Hinterland about the test branch since December 2017 :(

Something has gone terribly wrong with this project, based on the last 3-4 updates I can say that the development team has given up on TLD, maybe they expected more sales with Wintermute maybe they are tired  who knows?  However I am grateful that they made it this far, TLD is still great game but maaan it has so much potential to be much more ... Imagine if we had more tools more survival aspects like rubbing sticks to make fire, making spears or different traps  like that show on VIASAT EXPLORER where people go in the wild to catch fur, they come up with all these crazy ideas how to get warm how to place traps and where and so on......

11 minutes ago, vancopower said:

Something has gone terribly wrong with this project, based on the last 3-4 updates I can say that the development team has given up on TLD, maybe they expected more sales with Wintermute maybe they are tired  who knows?  However I am grateful that they made it this far, TLD is still great game but maaan it has so much potential to be much more ... Imagine if we had more tools more survival aspects like rubbing sticks to make fire, making spears or different traps  like that show on VIASAT EXPLORER where people go in the wild to catch fur, they come up with all these crazy ideas how to get warm how to place traps and where and so on......

I agree that this game has a huge amount of potential, which is why this game is , to me, one of the best games on the market today. 

But I don’t understand your point that the last few updates show that something has gone wrong with the game; the last few updates have been fine by the look of it, and they’ve been releasing great content so far. Could this game use more updates and more dev diaries? Yes, but the lack thereof is not a sign of failure on their part

I don't think the story mode is up to the level that they originally envisioned it would be. Early development diaries talked of things like moral choices and meaningful decisions that affect your game, with the tagline of "How far will you go to survive?". There isn't really any of that in Episodes 1 and 2, and certainly none at all in the sandbox. In Wintermute, you go as far as the NPCs tell you to, and if you deviate from their instructions you can't progress to the next stage - there is no decision-making for the player to do, moral or otherwise.

But that said, I don't think for a moment that they've given up on the game - quite the opposite. The last I heard they were planning to revamp Wintermute episodes 1 & 2, as well as working on 3, 4 and 5 to complete the series. I hope it gets better, and that they can include more of what they previously talked about - but as long as they complete the Wintermute series they will have fulfilled their obligation to people who've bought the as-yet-incomplete game, regardless of any new features for the Survivor Mode.

1 hour ago, Pillock said:

The last I heard they were planning to revamp Wintermute episodes 1 & 2, as well as working on 3, 4 and 5 to complete the series.

Where are people hearing about this? 

Based on how our launch went, I feel that Episode Three now has to answer for the issues with Episodes One and Two, to some extent, so while we couldn’t do anything about the August 1st date once we were locked in on it, we’ll now take the time we need to ensure Episode Three, and beyond, have a more solid foundation to build on, and set the bar for what The Long Dark will be. This refers not only to systems and content, but internal processes and tools, as well as people. We have to rethink some aspects of how we’ve approached our story mode, and that goes beyond cosmetic changes. The fixes have to go deeper.

(Dev Diary September 2017)

When did Raph ever say that they were going to redo Episodes 1 & 2? I would love for them to do this, but I'm pretty sure that it isn't going to happen

Sorry, just read the October update:

I’m not yet fully sure how we will do all these things, but my aim for The Long Dark is to ensure that by the time we launch Episode Three, not only is that Episode a much stronger expression of The Long Dark as a narrative survival experience, but that Episodes One and Two have also been substantially improved.

Yeah, those quotes you highlighted show to me that there is still a lot of exciting potential in the future of TLD, as well as explaining why it's taking longer than people (including Hinterland themselves) perhaps expected.

Looking forward to the imminent (we hope!) new Dev Diary for more information!

Archived