Bear is BS

dairko83

It is a lot of annoying.  So the quest is shoot the bear one time in each of 6 map locations.  That's not really clear and a lot of players get confused and spend a lot of time figuring it out.  So you should not be shooting the bear more than once at each spot, nor should you be shooting it before you get to the next spot.

The easiest way to avoid a mauling from any charging bear is to fire off the distress pistol.  Good luck.  

On 28.1.2018 at 5:42 PM, dairko83 said:

Jerimiah's bear quest is the biggest pile of bull. Have you guys actually completed this without cheesing? 

What do you mean? It was simple.

Shoot the bear on six different locations and if you get mauled, go heal yourself up and go to the next location.

I fired at the bear when he started to charge at me from far away. Then fired the flare gun at him. It always scares him off. Also, you should remove your clothing when getting near the bear... if you think you'll get attacked of course.

2 hours ago, Raf109 said:

I fired at the bear when he started to charge at me from far away. Then fired the flare gun at him. It always scares him off. Also, you should remove your clothing when getting near the bear... if you think you'll get attacked of course.

As I understand it, once the bear goes into terminator mode, the only way to stop it from attacking you is to break its pathing to you. Jumping off a cliff seems to work... and fortunately it doesn't have to be a big cliff.

Taking off your clothing in the early game might make sense, but later on if you're using natural clothing and have accumulated lots of hide and guts it doesn't. Just repair it afterwards.

21 hours ago, stratvox said:

As I understand it, once the bear goes into terminator mode, the only way to stop it from attacking you is to break its pathing to you. Jumping off a cliff seems to work... and fortunately it doesn't have to be a big cliff.

This is a well-used technique that you will utilize throughout the game - master it.

21 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

This is a well-used technique that you will utilize throughout the game - master it.

Yes, I have. I remember very well the first time I used it, completely inadvertently. That cliff was rather high, so I sprained both ankles, major bruising, etc, and I remember thinking "I can't run... I'm screwed" until I realised the bear had switched into panic running mode.

That was a "oh thank gawd" moment right there.

I find it works better to climb trees because the bear thinks it can get you but can't so it'll run around you in circles letting you put arrows/bullets into it (I'm a bow guy, myself). This is useful for helping to develop the archery/firearms skill, even if it does cause unnecessary wear on your bow and arrows.

5 hours ago, stratvox said:

I find it works better to climb trees because the bear thinks it can get you but can't so it'll run around you in circles letting you put arrows/bullets into it (I'm a bow guy, myself).

I remember a time I did this in FM - bear was running in place directly under me.  I was actually shooting him with arrows, pulling the arrows from his back and shooting him over and over!

Archived