Disappearing Wildlife

Jolan

So the first 4 or 5 times this happened I figured "eh, I must be mistaken" but this time I was up in a tree with a moose in my sights and it disappeared.  Which was really disappointing and disconcerting.  That bugger had stomped me twice, I really wanted its hide.  So - is any one else experiencing this? I haven't seen this sort of thing for ages. 

oh and all the rabbits scrammed at the same time

Two possibles:

- Moose disappear whenever the aurora starts.  They return when it is over.  I think rabbits and deer may too.

- All animals periodically get sucked up into a redistribution algorithm that drops them all into new places.  The program is supposed to wait until you are not looking to make the changes, but sometimes it just can't wait.

On 27.1.2018 at 10:15 PM, Jolan said:

So the first 4 or 5 times this happened I figured "eh, I must be mistaken" but this time I was up in a tree with a moose in my sights and it disappeared.  Which was really disappointing and disconcerting.  That bugger had stomped me twice, I really wanted its hide.  So - is any one else experiencing this? I haven't seen this sort of thing for ages. 

oh and all the rabbits scrammed at the same time

Was the moose moving away from you and already quite distant?

4 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Was the moose moving away from you and already quite distan

no he was coming close to me - I had him lined up for a head shot.  But I think I've narrowed down when things like this happen.  Its when the game transitions to a state the wildlife wouldn't be out in.  In this case, the pre-aurora glow had just started when I took my sighting.  

So I'm not going to bug report - its really a quality of life issue.  Unlike those pesky game animals sinking into rocks when they die. :)

14 hours ago, Jolan said:

no he was coming close to me - I had him lined up for a head shot.  But I think I've narrowed down when things like this happen.  Its when the game transitions to a state the wildlife wouldn't be out in.  In this case, the pre-aurora glow had just started when I took my sighting.  

Weird. The last time I played animals that were already present were not auto despawned by a blizzard until I went inside.

On 29.1.2018 at 2:10 PM, Jolan said:

So I'm not going to bug report - its really a quality of life issue.  Unlike those pesky game animals sinking into rocks when they die. :)

Hm. So no despawn because of distance. I watched this once with a wolf chasing a deer away from me, I was on top of a cliff and they were down there. At some point the wolf despawned and the deer went from running into walking mode at once, turning around and walking towards its original spawn point. My further observation at the time was that the spawning/despawning distance of deer is higher than that of the wolf. So if the two run away in unison, the first to disappear is the wolf. Unless it catches the deer first.

Anyway, I digress, and all that was some versions ago. Seems like your despawning moose had other reasons.

On 1/29/2018 at 10:41 PM, cekivi said:

Weird. The last time I played animals that were already present were not auto despawned by a blizzard until I went inside.

I had been experiencing the same things, which is why this one stuck out.  All the rabbits disappeared too, like they were snuffed out.  But next day - the wildlife was back.   Including that really irritating moose.  I mean how many bullets does it take to kill one of those?  I had 7 actual hits on it, 4 before and 3 the next day and it mocked me.  MOCKED ME! :)

It went from 3 to 4 while I was plonking away at the moose.  I did manage to accumulate a number of broken ribs before I figured out the whole "moose can't climb" thing. The first one was because when I went over the ridge I pretty much stepped on the moose, the second set of ribs was while I was limping away.  :D  Unfortunately, a wolf found me limping around trying to bag a deer so I had food to rest and sent me off to the long dark.  

Archived