What's The Purpose Of Balaclavas?

Aagje

... other than being all spooky-looking, that is. After all, if you've found a balaclava, you almost certainly have multiple wool toques lying about the place, and since the toque is on the outside, you won't be getting the benefit of the balaclava's extra wind resistance or protection. (And why is that? You'd think wind resistance would be the highest of any gear on a given body part, not just the "outside" piece.)

I suppose I can see an edge case where a wolf attack destroys your toque, and you can then get that little extra wind resistance and protection from the 'clava, but that seems rare.

Personally I prefer to run with a wool scarf and wool toque, unless it's really bloody Baltic out there. But YMMV.

Balacavas do have more warmth than the wool scarf, and since the wolves seem to enjoy chewing on your head, you may very well end up with it as the only layer. :D  I have.  And since that wasn't a pilgrim or voyager game, I didn't have a bunch of toques lying around.

But his initial point is correct: The Balaclava has the "best" stats of any headgear in the game, and as such is pretty rare. But those stats don't actually do anything different from a wool toque, as they are made redundant by the layering system. Most clothing items in the game have some trade-offs, but this one effectively doesn't - it's exactly the same as the far more common team Canada hat. 

• 2 months later...

I see both "head gear" inventory slots are considered an inner-layer...but the left slot acts as the outer-layer. My observation is the "Long wool scarf" is the ideal head gear and the game stats for the balaclava add only +1 degree F for wind resistance. I have used carbon balaclava gear in both the fire service and law enforcement and the wind resistance and protection benefits are a must to avoid frostbite/windburn...not so much in-game. Also I totally agree with the OP that the look is unpleasantly spooky-looking. :ph34r:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You may have a point. Just to make things worse, headgear has little to pathetic damage resistence. This may bring up another question, Great Bear is full of woodcutting camps, construction sites and large poorly lit underground facilities with lots of pipes everywhere, why in Cthuhu's name there isn't a single hard hat in all the island? Wearing one on top of a warm wool cap would be so healthy...

On 1/21/2018 at 9:40 PM, Jolan said:

Balacavas do have more warmth than the wool scarf, and since the wolves seem to enjoy chewing on your head, you may very well end up with it as the only layer. :D  I have.  And since that wasn't a pilgrim or voyager game, I didn't have a bunch of toques lying around.

@Jolan Hahaha I love this. I've always wondered why the wolves enjoy chewing on my head so much. I've lost 2 good wool toques to those hair munchers.

On 6/22/2018 at 7:12 PM, bighara said:

As nice as the balaclava + maple leaf toque combo is, I still want craftable headgear. Where's my rabbit skin cap?! :)

+1 for rabbit skin cap!!! I have like 10 cured rabbit pelts sitting in a safe somewhere right now.

2 hours ago, scuttlebum said:

@Jolan +1 for rabbit skin cap!!! I have like 10 cured rabbit pelts sitting in a safe somewhere right now.

Gloves are frequently eaten too. And why is Jeremiah's picture showing a riduculously awesome wolf pelt hooded cloak? I want one too!

Besides, wolves and rabbits are the most frequently killed animals in the game (apart from survivor wannabes on the first day) and their skins only have one use!

Maybe it's just my play style, but I frequently end up based out of someplace like the Camp Office or Trapper's Homestead, where I am close to rabbit populations. Sometimes snare lines are a big part of my getting enough calories, especially if ammo has run low. As a result, I can end up with a pile of rabbit pelts and no use for them. Wolves less so, but I usually end up with more than I need.

Deer, Bears, and the Moose all have multiple uses. It just seems fair to have some versatility for wolves & bunnies. Maybe a wolf hood and a rabbit cap? Then each head slot could have a crafted item!

On 7/3/2018 at 10:14 AM, bighara said:

Maybe it's just my play style, but I frequently end up based out of someplace like the Camp Office or Trapper's Homestead, where I am close to rabbit populations. Sometimes snare lines are a big part of my getting enough calories, especially if ammo has run low. As a result, I can end up with a pile of rabbit pelts and no use for them.

I am quite fond of Lake Overlook cave..close to good fishing and hunting, rabbits right at your doorstep... and you never have to worry about cabin fever. I am currently camped out there on day 226 of my hopefully 500 day run. I have a tonne of rabbit pelts and wish i had use of them as well... maybe some nice rabbit slippers, head and ears on... for relaxing at the cave after a long day out scavenging..

lake overlook.jpg

On 6/22/2018 at 7:12 AM, bighara said:

As nice as the balaclava + maple leaf toque combo is, I still want craftable headgear. Where's my rabbit skin cap?! :)

Or they could add Raccoons to the game so we could craft a proper Davy Crockett coon skin cap.

Archived