Muscle Mass

GreyPilot

So when you're playing I've noticed that the top limit you can get for carrying (their "soft limit" since you can still run when you're a bit over but still the top number that it shows). It's at 30kg (not sure if anyone else has it in lbs; they probably do) but no more.

This is fine generally - but I was wondering after a few loot-everything runs through Wintermute where I kept Will fed and watered at the max (and was still like 20kg over) for days on end - if it was possible to gain muscle mass. I mean you lose how much you can carry when you get tired etc - so why not gain over time of carrying a lot every day while fed and watered at the max for the absolute majority of the time for three or four days straight a few numbers on what you can carry? You build muscle over time and in-game, we're doing a  LOT of physical activity - so if we're constantly well fed and watered so - why would we not increase the maximum we can carry over time as we develop more muscle?

It's not entirely a cheat just a suggestion for a mix of realism and making some of it easier for beginners/people not good at games/people who suck at weight management.

A 30 kg backpack is heavy. Very heavy. It is already a feat that Will is able to carry it everywhere on long distances, and he can even run and climb ropes, without specific training ! He really is already a muscle monster. One has to hike for several days to understand it, a 10-15 kg backpack is fine, 20 kg is really heavy, and 30 kg is unbearable (except by well-trained soldiers). The 30 kg limit is balanced, lets us carry what's needed, but still forces us to make choices and leave things behind.

• 3 weeks later...

Trappers often carried/carry loads over 50kg. For hundreds of km. When I was in the army I knew a little filipino guy who would routinely carry a 45kg pack that weight as much as him. I am honestly in favour of Will getting "harder" as time progresses. A high protein diet combined with constant exercise builds huge stamina and huge carrying capacity.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah with regards to the muscle loss element this would make a great counter to the starvation strategy. For example the recommended calorie intake is roughly over 2500 for males i believe I've also read that serving marines in Britain can go through 5000 a day during training. But the strategy in this game is to starve oneself and eat enough to promote recovery during sleep which is usually 6-800 calories. I'm not an expert but surely this would lead to the body cannibalizing its own muscle tissue and fats within a few days to weeks which would lead to a reduction in strength and stamina.

Archived