More Canada in TLD !

StrayCat

Hello all,

I really like the idea that hinterland highlights the canadian background. This really creates an unique atmosphere, that other games don't have. TLD has its own personnality : if the country wasn't depicted, I guess TDL would be blander and more flavourless.

So I would like to get more "canadian power" in there ! By example by adding some good items, not overpowered, but still in the top tiers. Some examples here :

- Add maple syrup bottles : high energy manufactured food, maybe 700 kcal for 0.2 kg. That would be the same ratio as beef jerky (3500 kcal /kg).

- Add poutine "ready to eat" meal : heavy but good calories, maybe 1000 kcal for 0.3 kg : that would be a ratio of 3333 kcal/kg, slightly the same as an MRE (3500 kcal/kg).

- Upgrade the mackinaw jacket ! It has a ratio of 1.67 °C/kg. Meanwile, the down vest has a ratio of 2 °C/kg , the same as a ski jacket ! Mackinaw could be boosted to 3°C warmth bonus (same as mariner's pea coat), instead of 2.5.

- Add ice-hockey sticks and skates, and other ornamentation items. This is the local sport, show it !

So hinterland, be proud and show your difference !

btw, i'm french, so no chauvinism or excessive patriotism here  ;)

And, of course....

Where are the Mounties, eh?  

We need to come upon at least one frozen Mountie.  ....should even be able to loot the red jacket and teh sexy pants with the flared cuff.  The whole outfit is boss.  

Wait!  Gotta find him next to a frozen horse.  I mean, for us Yanks, the Mounties are synonymous with Canada.

It's hard enough making a poutine from scratch in real life, how are we going to get our hands on it in a survival situation? I may sounding a little -too- Canadian here, but I don't quite like the idea of potatoes that have been somehow preserved in a questionably styled poutine, haha. But yeah, I agree with you, that jacket's description makes it sound so warm, but doesn't offer much stat-wise. As for the hockey ornaments, I'd like to see that too.

On 16/01/2018 at 3:51 AM, StrayCat said:

Something like this ? It doesn't have to be a pristine homemade poutine by a great chef...

Sorry to possibly disappoint you, but. The ''poutine'' you show us is only poutine sauce X'D 

in my opinion, I don't think it should be realistic to found poutine in The Long Dark. First of all : how the cheese could not spoil through time ? ahah : P

7 hours ago, StrayCat said:

Yeah you're right @TheGoldenFox1968, that's so sad... But they have no reason not to add maple syrup at least !
(Note that the cheese can be frozen, and not spoil at all ! :) In France we sometimes store some cheese in the freezer for "raclette").

Concerning the cheese : For real ? I didn't know that cheese can be good after been frozen. But cool ! 

I'm from Quebec and my uncle got a sugar bush (érablière) and I'm agree with you that maple syrup could be add. I love it ! It must be a good source of simple sugar, but not providing more than 500 calories in my opinion ;) 

15 hours ago, TheGoldenFox1968 said:

I didn't know that cheese can be good after been frozen

In fact, after being frozen, we make it melt and put it on potatoes,  with ham, dried ham and other cold meats. Something like this.

Going back to topic, can you canadian guys tell us what are the other specialties of your country we may have forgotten ? We're trying to get some ideas for hinterland developers !

6 hours ago, StrayCat said:

In fact, after being frozen, we make it melt and put it on potatoes,  with ham, dried ham and other cold meats. Something like this.

Going back to topic, can you canadian guys tell us what are the other specialties of your country we may have forgotten ? We're trying to get some ideas for hinterland developers !

Cool stuff ! ;p I love raclette ! 

And for answer you about specialities, it's difficult to telling you about ''canadian specialities'' because as a canadian from the province of quebec, the country is as big that I don't know all the specialities of each province and regions x'D So... You already mention about the Quebec classic ''poutine'' and maple sirup but... Maybe pea soup also.  And it sould be a good add as a can of pea soup ! Easy to preserve. We also eat '' pâté chinois'' a simple recipe containing three layers of  chopped steak, corn and mash potato ;p According to history, this recipe is from the chineses railway workers in the 19e century. For the rest, I'm gonna need help from my camarad of western canada :P

On 1/22/2018 at 11:55 AM, TheGoldenFox1968 said:

Concerning the cheese : For real ? I didn't know that cheese can be good after been frozen. But cool ! 

I'm from Quebec and my uncle got a sugar bush (érablière) and I'm agree with you that maple syrup could be add. I love it ! It must be a good source of simple sugar, but not providing more than 500 calories in my opinion ;) 

325 ml of maple syrup has 819 calories. It's the main reason the First Nations kept at it- it's a survival food.
Heck, level 5 cooking should let you make bear/moose pemmican. Mix with rosehips for flavour and you're set!

I heard there *were* plans for advanced cooking.. They got axed? Too bad. Making pemmican (food that never degrades, super-high energy density 2800 cal/pound!), jerky, soup, etc, would be great. Finding a thermos to keep your soup hot in would be as good as finding the mountaineer's coat!

Maple syrup would be nice. 600 kcal at 0.3 kg sounds reasonable and not overpowered (Lets just say that it's contained in a glass bottle which adds to its mass). Ice hockey equipment also sounds like a good idea. But I'd also like to add beaver lodges in the muskeg, as well as birch bark canoes near rivers and lakes.

I think maple syrup would be a great addition to the game.. for a quick high calorie fix... and the beaver would make a nice trappers hat... and by make I don't mean sew... but be one...

It would actually be nice if we had some more use for the hides, especially wolf hides...I got a mountain of them after 114 days.. and stopped taking them ages ago..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived