Post your "Mystery Games" here!

JAFO

As all old hands at TLD know, the game is at its best when you don't know what to expect.. we envy newcomers the suspense and terror they experience due to unfamiliarity with the maps and mechanics. It's why we love it so much when Hinterland release a new map region to explore, as it brings back some of that old feeling.

So when @Wade approached me recently with a request for a custom game, I was struck by the brilliance of his idea.

He wanted a game where, apart from a few basic settings, everything else would be completely unknown to him.. to bring back something of the element of having no idea what to expect when he played. I loved the idea, and thought it so good that it really ought to be shared. Hence, this thread. I'd like it to be a repository where people can request others to create a mystery game for them, and/or people can post game codes where only a few basic settings are pre-determined/disclosed.

Here's what Wade asked for..

I am looking for a game with:  Freezing Rate= High or very high  Cabin Fever= NO  Recovery Rates= Stalker

After that I am welcome to twists.  I enjoy playing semi-random codes because you don't have any idea what to expect.  Will it be really cold???  Will there be any animals?  Etc, etc....

And here's what I sent him.. as requested, Freezing Rate= High or very high  Cabin Fever= NO  Recovery Rates= Stalker, and everything else whatever I decided on to make things "interesting" for him.

8E3c-vWLN-PAoa-jSTO-LAEA

I hope others of you decide to participate in this little project by requesting/contributing codes of your own..

I'd been pondering a semi-similar idea but it's more of a player generated story or campaign mode.

The basic idea is somebody:

• Generates a code to set the game world and states which zone players should start in
  • They then set some mission for the first phase, like reach such and such location or obtain X amount of some resource (like rabbit pelts or fish or birch twigs)
  • After a suitable amount of real world time, at least a day possibly days or even a week to give everyone playing a long a chance to catch up the next goal is posted.
  • Screenshots or just regular honor system are sufficient evidence that players reached the goal.  It's not like there are real prizes.

This can go on and on for as long as whoever is running it wants.  It can be as involved as that person would like.  For instance maybe you have to get 24 bits of coal to Milton by such and such a date.

There's really no limit to the complexity of the mission.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Recommended for people (like me!) who find Stalker a bit too comfortable, but don't enjoy Interloper so much. I prefer random starting locations and no feats, but obviously that's up to you!

8t+Q-lh4O-Lw+H-y8Bu-rAAA

(where it says lh4O, the "l" is a lower-case "L", and the "O" is an upper-case O-for-orange, just in case that isn't clear!)

Well I tried Pillock's code, I didnt last long, got myself turned around in FM and ended up in the caves instead of the farm, no matches or bedroll, I died of cold on the way to ML.

Then I tried Cattlemans was much easier start,   but a single wolf att left me at really low health and I stupidly hadnt picked up disinfectant,  infection set in,

and death followed.

Good fun!

Archived