Clothing and fire mainteinance.

writeright1

Hello everyone,

I've started a new run and I've been wondering about maintaining the clothing.  Is it better to wear the regular clothing until it can no longer be repaired and then switch to crafted or go with crafted as early as possible?  And how do you start fires very late into the game?  After matches and flares have run out.  I know about the fire striker, I've never used it so I don't know if it can be repaired, but the magnifier requires repairs and eventually the tools to repair it will wear out.  I'm going to try for the 500 day achievement and I'd like to know what I should be preparing for.

Also, should I be hoarding whetstones for later in game?

Maintain the existing clothing you are wearing and any backups you want.  The move to crafted can come when you need (depends on difficulty).  You may not even need it.

I have over 500 days in one game and still have plenty of matches left over.   Like you said, there is the MG and FS too.

Can't hurt to keep the WS and use them only when you need to (no backup tool). 

The Heavy Hammer is IMO one the most valuable tools in the game - used to break down stuff and easily repairable with Fir.

Good luck!

5 hours ago, writeright1 said:

but the magnifier requires repairs and eventually the tools to repair it will wear out.

In Interloper the mag glass never decays and cannot be repaired (ie it lasts forever). I thought this was the same in all modes but maybe it has changed. Quite often too I find two firestrikers - in this game, one on the Summit and one in the Broken Railroad Hunters Blind - as well as multiple mag glasses.

Also in Interloper you tend to make the crafted clothing asap simply because it's better/warmer than anything else. I like the wolfskin coat since it scares some wolves. Many times I've heard a wolf that was just around a corner waiting to ambush me flee in terror.

And whetstones are like gold to me.

39 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

What sort of condition are they in?

Usually one good and one bad. I suspect it doesn't really matter as I remember (from some time ago now) that Interloper was supposed to have a reasonably consistent number of fire lighting chances available in the form of firestrikers and matches. So, assuming you have searched everywhere, if you don't find so many firestrikers you should find more matches.

• 2 weeks later...

Maintain the clothing you find that's the best you can have for each given slot. Keep spare articles at your "base." You will find that you need lots of cloth. Remember also that fights harm clothing very quickly. Keep a repair kit and cloth with you always, since a fight can be totally by surprise, even when you know the patrol routes of the predators. When or if you switch over to crafted clothing, you will need to always be thinking about obtaining more deer skins or wolf skins or whatever your stuff is made of, since that is how you will repair those items.  As far as matches go, on difficulties of stalker or lower, as long as you are travelling to other maps, you will find loads of matches and fire strikers. Mag glasses are also plentiful. Interloper is another matter entirely, but I will assume we are not talking about that mode or you wouldn't be asking these questions. Use wood matches when your survivor first appears into the world instead of cardboard matches, as it gives a 5% better chance to light the fire. Later in the game those cardboard matches will do fine since your fire making skill will be much higher then. End game thinking has your survivor building fires outside using the mag glass, pulling a torch out and bringing that inside to light a fire in the stove when inside fires are needed.

Archived