[Idea]Snowmobiles

SirGregory

Considering Canada is 3.855 million sq miles (9.985 million km²) and currently as of 2014 there are 594,276 registered snowmobiles in Canada. I was contemplating the theoretical possibility of uncovering a snowmobile burried in the snow that would have to be repaired due to the geomagnetic storm frying anything that wasn't in a faraday cage. The snowmobile can be fueled by jerry cans and repaired by scrap metal. Traversing the current map is tiring, tedious, and time consuming. Concidering the current Alpha v1.3.8 Map "tiny" in the eyes of the developer. I see huge future expansion and walking may just not cut it.

It's a great idea, and I have mentioned bulk transport in my own posts, but as you mentioned, and other forum members pointed out to me, Technology has been laid waste by the geomagnetic apocalypse, reducing all complex technology to scrap metal, so I'm not sure what the devs would make of snowmobiles.

I like the idea of using the deer, since they are non hostile and likely be more easy to tame.

Sure... Let's just fine some reindeer now and make a Santa sleigh. No jk. Deer would be a stretch though.. Maybe in the secret bunkers you can find usable electric circuit parts since the bunker is enclosed in a faraday cage I would assume. I would like to see snowmobiles implemented..

As of now, I kind of dislike the idea. Since then you'd simply use your snow mobile to drag everything you found along. right now, part of what I like about this game is having to decide what to take along and what to leave behind. This will gain even more relevance in bigger maps that may even be connected. But transporting another 50-80kg on a snowmobile would not be a problem at all, removing this very interesting part from the game, once you have repaired the snow mobile. So: Sled to carry more from place to place, why not? Snowmobile, I'd rather not.

At least for me, part of the game is having to walk to most places, rnjoying the scenery, trying not to get lost or mauled by wolves.

No working vehicles is part of this game by design. Many of the mechanics, like deciding what to take and what to leave behind like @Trandor already mentioned, are tied up to this. Using a vehicle you could move around much faster, having to spend less time in the cold, easily evading wolves etc. It would make TLD a completely different game...

Also, as you mention yourself, the geo-magnetic disaster that happened has killed all mechanical transportation. But an assumption is made here that it is a one time thing that fried all electronics and anything in a Faraday cage has survived. But there are several flaws in that line of thinking:

1. There is no Faraday cage in the current level, except maybe for some places in the dam. The bunker has cinder block walls, so that not a Faraday cage. And why would any electronics you might find be usable for repairing a snowmobile?

2. The geo-magnetic event may still be happening or a reoccurring thing, frying the electronics you found as soon as you take them out of the Faraday cage.

3. Who says the geo-magnetic disaster actually fried the electronics? Maybe it's something completely different, something that just suck all the power out of things (like in the Revolution TV series, but not man made, or maybe it's even man made who knows?). Then you could find all the electronics you want but never have something working.

Personally I don't think working motorized vehicles should be a part of TLD. Having to brave the weather is what this game is all about. I am an advocate of ways to move more items over distance, like sleds, but they should not be motorized and come with a price (higher calorie burn, slower movement speed, things like that).

That said, I do think broken down vehicles should be part of the game and should be harvestable. Other than the train cars, there are no vehicles on the entire Mystery Lake map. If you think about it, that doesn't make sense. Would the trapper not have some form of transportation, or the loggers? I've watched this show on Discovery channel about an Alaskan railroad (I think it was Alaskan, not sure, it was in a very cold mountainous region with lots of snow, like TLD) where homesteaders are living along that lifeline. Most of them use snowmobiles for transport.

So it makes sense to me to find broken snowmobiles and broken trucks (used for transporting the cut logs to the train). Even broken logging equipment, but I get that making those models takes time and the models are not very reusable.

Archived