Moving to different areas

Mixxut

I am currently in Milton and I have looted it completely. I would like to have Milton as my home area. I would also like to explore ML, CH and PV but I have problems with my loot. What/how much should I take with me? What am I gonna leave behind to wait till I come back? Should I make a second base somewhere in ML? When and how am I gonna my stuff back to Milton? There is that rope that I'm gonna have to climb. 

Should I Just leave Milton behind and make my base somewhere else?

Every single tip that you have about moving to different maps and what to do in there is big help to me!

Hey @Mixxut.

There's many posts of how to move and different opinions about what's necessary to take and leave behind. The biggest consideration for me would be the difficulty level you're playing on. Pilgrim, Voyager, and even Stalker (if you know the spawn points) will have more than enough loot to be able to leave most of your equipment behind and simply find copies in the new area. With Interloper though you have to be more careful.

For instance, when I travel I usually just grab some food, 3L of water, my bedroll, and make sure all of my clothing and tools are repaired. 

In Interloper, I also take the kitchen sink - 55kg+. Ropes mean you need to ferry loads but both exits from Milton have a cave near the bottom of the first rope/s. The exit to FM (Milton Basin) only has the two rope descent which makes it maybe a bit easier except that then you end up in FM.  I like to leave enough hides behind to repair clothing if I return and unless I'm taking the time to clear out wolves on the path ahead, try not to carry meat or uncured hides/guts.

I usually set up bases in each area I like (usually CH, ML and PV) - move the loot for that area to the base.  I put some survival loot at the transit points (food, bits of cloth, water, wood and coal).  I strip the surrounding areas of whatever I can carry and move it to the nearest base.  While I'm doing that I may leave any heavy items specific to that region in place.  Like a bearskin coat when I'm wandering around TM.  I leave that there while I'm schleping stuff.  Once I'm done - the coat may be scrapped to become a bed roll.

Then I just move back and forth between the three as my whim and the animal spawns take me.  Until I die a hideous death of course :) - as a cavaet - for interloper, this question is moot for me - just saw day 21 haven't been able to live past it.  So I've never accumulated enough gear to worry about having to leave anything behind. 

21 hours ago, Mixxut said:

I am currently in Milton and I have looted it completely. I would like to have Milton as my home area. I would also like to explore ML, CH and PV but I have problems with my loot. What/how much should I take with me? What am I gonna leave behind to wait till I come back? Should I make a second base somewhere in ML? When and how am I gonna my stuff back to Milton? There is that rope that I'm gonna have to climb. 

Should I Just leave Milton behind and make my base somewhere else?

Every single tip that you have about moving to different maps and what to do in there is big help to me!

I have a base in all locations, when i first moved from ML which was my starting point, i only brought with me some water, food, bed roll, axe, knife, crowbar, 5 cloth, 6 pain killers, 2 bandage, 50 (cl?) antiseptic, sewing kit and that was it i think, you will find all these things when you move on and more, depend on which level you are playing on, i'm playing on voager difficulty.

So when i came to costal highway and i stayed there for a while, i went back to ML to pick up some pelt to repair my clothing, so now when i have been everywhere, i usally travel randomly to the other locations, because now i have cured pelt everywhere :D and can repair my clothing in all locations, i even need to climp up the mountain again, i left everything i found up there behind :o.

• 6 months later...

Hi @Mixxut, I'm a bit late to this thread but hopefully this will still be helpful to you or other new players. I find that there's a lot of joy and exploration in charting unknown territory. Here's a perspective from an ordinary player on custom settings (between Voyager and Stalker) where the game is a lot kinder on players with lootable items.

Being a bit of a nester myself, I understand the psychological comfort and desire to build a home base and just keep coming back to it, a haven where you can stash all of your gear, food, tools. That's definitely how I played many of my earlier games. As time passed, I've evolved into a more nomadic play style that continues to satisfy my need to nest and feel secure. I do so by building safehouses along the way.

Typically, I will spend no more than 20-30 game days in each map, depending on what my goals are and what the weather/resources available allow. Some maps I might blaze through faster. Some areas (like Mystery Lake or Coastal Highway) might be a lot more comfortable and I might stay longer to finish up perishable fresh meat, or to craft a fur coat, for example.

I like picking about 2-3 prime locations around a map and make sure I stock it with the basics before I move on. Building safehouses also help me reduce the weight I carry on me, so you don't make a big move encumbered, which will tire you out, making an activity like climbing up ropes a very risky endeavour.

Basic things I typically stock up my safehouses with are items like some bandages, at least two painkillers and antibiotics, bottles of antiseptic, at least a bottle of water, at least two canned goods, basic fire starting items (at least a box of matches and some tinder), at least two pieces of fire wood. Other items I leave behind, if I have any to leave behind, are excess clothes, extra pelts, cured guts and saplings and excess super high condition food items (I will consume or take the lowest condition consumables with me). I also tend to leave behind heavy gear like rifles, hammers, simple/quality tools and ropes (unless I know I'll absolutely need it).

Building safehouses reduces my anxiety because I know I have a few safe spots to run to where I can find some water, food and supplies in case of bad weather/luck. And when I eventually return to the area after a long period away, I have some basic survival items, tools, clothes and pelts to rely on.

It also keeps me moving and scavenging. It gives me a purpose, which helps stave away boredom.

After looting the surroundings and setting up safehouse(s) in the area, I typically move on with:

- My best clothes: All mended or above 90% condition as much as possible. I try to balance warmth/protection with weight, no more than 25% sprint loss.

- Bedroll: Vitally important. Mended to highest condition.

- Food and water: 15 cat tail stalks, 2 litres of water, 2x herbal tea, 2x coffee are my basics for moving. If I find an MRE ration, I typically keep it for a big move too.

- Medication: 1 bottle of painkillers, 1 bottle of antibiotics, 2x bandages, 5x lichen bandages, 5x prepped reishi, 5x prepped rosehips (reishi and rosehips tea can also be taken to slake your thirst and give you a calorie boost!)

- Some firestarting items: 3x tinder, 2 logs of Cedar, 2 boxes of matches, 1x accelerant. If I found a firestriker it's coming with me!

- 15 sticks and 5 cloth: To build an emergency snow shelter, or to light a fire / fix my clothes if needed.

- Lighting sources: 1x newly made torch at 100% condition, 1x Flare, a storm lantern if I have one.

- 1x Knife and 1x Hatchet: Sharpened to tip-top condition if I found a whetstone.

- 1x Prybar

- Weapons: 1x Survival bow and 3 best arrows.

- 2x sewing kits

- 6x arrow shafts, 6x crow feathers, 2 extra arrowheads if I have them.

If I have some weight to spare, I usually bring a bit more food, fire wood and more pain meds with me in case of sprains etc. Which somehow happens to me a lot! I walk on slopes a lot to avoid wolves.

I try to leave some breathing room in case I find anything useful enroute. Though once you eat/drink/make a fire, your weight burden drops along the way.

To the more experienced players, please feel free to give me / us your advice if the above list is lacking or if any advice rendered is not sound. I might still be a bit of a packrat :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I'm so jealous of @scuttlebum, sounds like she's going on holiday :P

Because I know you're planning to play Outerloper next: Gear for moving on Outerloper:

• Your clothes - they're not much
  • Cattails - all you had time to pick
  • Water - if you've amassed more than 5 ltrs you must have two much time on your hands.
  • Matches (and if you don't have any, you're on your way to get some before you die)
  • Can for boiling water
  • Any food you have that won't make you sick. Including meat. (Don't travel with meat right? I said that yeah. Not anymore! You need food constantly because condition loss is coming from every direction).
  • Hacksaw - for delicious cold cuts of deer.
  • Knife - you've got a knife? You're winning.
  • 2/3 good condition (35%-45%) torches.
  • 1/2 cups or prepped stacks of both rieshi and rosehip
  • Bedroll - winning!
  • Maple sapling - one day.. one day it will be a bow..
  • Magnifying glass - you've reached end game.
  • Coffee - saved for your TWM accent.
  • Med supplies, tea, etc - if you've got these, try not to think of the warmer clothes you'd happily trade them for.
  • Rest of your pack: stuff to burn. Take coal with you, find sticks on the journey.
  • And, most importantly, skill books - to read while waiting for the day to be slightly less freezing.

49 minutes ago, Stone said:

Wow. I'm so jealous of @scuttlebum, sounds like she's going on holiday :P

Because I know you're planning to play Outerloper next: Gear for moving on Outerloper:

• Your clothes - they're not much
  • Cattails - all you had time to pick
  • Water - if you've amassed more than 5 ltrs you must have two much time on your hands.
  • Matches (and if you don't have any, you're on your way to get some before you die)
  • Can for boiling water
  • Any food you have that won't make you sick. Including meat. (Don't travel with meat right? I said that yeah. Not anymore! You need food constantly because condition loss is coming from every direction).
  • Hacksaw - for delicious cold cuts of deer.
  • Knife - you've got a knife? You're winning.
  • 2/3 good condition (35%-45%) torches.
  • 1/2 cups or prepped stacks of both rieshi and rosehip
  • Bedroll - winning!
  • Maple sapling - one day.. one day it will be a bow..
  • Magnifying glass - you've reached end game.
  • Coffee - saved for your TWM accent.
  • Med supplies, tea, etc - if you've got these, try not to think of the warmer clothes you'd happily trade them for.
  • Rest of your pack: stuff to burn. Take coal with you, find sticks on the journey.
  • And, most importantly, skill books - to read while waiting for the day to be slightly less freezing.

Well it sounds like a too heavy back bag shouldn't be a big problem in outerloper:D

Thanks for the list, this will be an intresting (and probably short) challenge!

Archived