Question about mapping

Yaki

Hi everybody,

I´m currently trying to draw a complete map of the costal highway in my sandbox game. While drawing the map I wondered why certain spots would not appear on my map though I know, they are there. I attached my map to illustrate what I mean. You can clearly see that I mapped the western part of the bay but the fishing huts are not drawn onto the map. This is also true for other landmarks.

On the other hand things like dead wolves and deer are drawn. Is there a way to get all landmarks onto the map? Repeating the mapping process doesn´t seem to help. Can anybody help?

screen_25c3e83e-bc8e-45f2-9cbc-509a5fd1e13f.png

Nope, because not all things are classified as landmarks. The whole point of the mapping system was to give only a general idea where what is, not give the player a proper, precise map of all the surrounding areas. 

However, things like carcasses and wood limbs are a resource. This is why I believe that the map is not really meant for "navigation" but more like a tool. For example, when exploring, if you were too encumbered or in a rush to harvest certain item you found, you could scribble it down into your map, and come back later.

Quite often when playing the game, and trying to go for a long run, I will not harvest most of the natural resources I find - instead, I will mark them down in my map. Things like saplings, rose buds and reishis or cat tails will always be there, till I go there to get them in the advanced game, because I will need them. And at the same time, these things will help me navigate around, as a sort of "landmarks" that are on my map. 

However, carcasses and limbs will disappear in time. These can be marked into the map, if for example, you know the weather is going bad, and you cant afford to harvest the animal, you will be able to scribble down its exact location on the map, and harvest it later. If it doesn't disappear in the meantime (btw, if it does disappear, it will still show up on your map - the only way to remove it this way is to stand on that exact spot, and update your map with another charcoal.

Some spots on the map are left black. Why, I cant tell you - like that middle piece you have in there. This is related to "vision obstruction" - the player will not mark down on the map what he cant see from the spot where you are. Which is why you need to use high ground to update the map, but I am sure you know that. Some spots are inaccessible, so they will always show up black on your map.

Some things, like natural shelters, campfires and hollowed out trees are not marked on the map on purpose, to make their locations more hidden - this forces the players to still learn the map in some time, and if ever in a bad situation, they know that their particular location has that shelter somewhere in there.

There are many other landmarks - fallen down trees, rocks, ruins or roads - which are not actually marked on the map. Not always. Again, rewards for players who learn their locations by memory.

Thanks for your thoughts on this topic.

@Mroz4k: I really like the idea of sketching resources onto the map and I think that your idea of the map and how it is intended to be used is totally sensible. But to me this would also mean that shelters like huts and containers should appear on the map. This is why I think of a bug. I sketched the rest of the map now and somehow any man-made structures are not drawn onto my map any longer. I attached another screenshot to illustrate and you can clearly see the differences to the map of @mystifeid. I came from desolation point and the eastern part of the map is fine. But on the whole western part of the map there are no huts, cars etc. drawn anymore.

screen_ddc686f4-9896-495d-963e-6a7693c19cba_hi.png

Did you also notice that the map can be zoomed in? 
If zoomed out, only the major landmarks will be visible. If zoomed in, all will be revealed - well, most of it. Some things are, like I said, left out, I assume on purpose.

I don't believe cars, in particular, are noted on the map, pretty sure that is one of the shelters that are not marked down at all.

I also believe that there used to be a visual bug, when you scribed into the map, it showed the map, zoomed in, and all the resources around. But if you zoomed out, the rest of the map looked vain. Try to close the map and open in again, and zoom in on the other end - perhaps the resources will show up again.

But maybe it is that they changed it and the temporary resources will disappear after a while. But if that is the case, it is strange that you can still see the occasional log on the western part of the map.

I think its more likely that if you were to go there, and zoom in with the map, that the "other resources" would show up.

I dont rightly know, I am not that much in touch with the game anymore, since its a bit too difficult for my PC.

Looking more on the map you have here, it appears to be zoomed out, but for some reason all the resources nearby are shown on it regardless. Interesting, might be that it is intended this way.

Looks like bug. I think I had a couple of trailers in Coastal Highway not show up - at Train Unloading and the one down from there but maybe I just have to try harder.

Unfortunately the whole concept still seems to be flawed. Pretty sure I just mapped the last location (in Interloper) and no achievement.

9 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Makes me think of a possible WishList idea:  a new skill: Cartography.  As you advance in levels, more and more detail on the map is displayed.  At some point, also show the player location on the map.

If they were to implement that, then the map would need to have much more of an important role. Right now I only draw maps because it's something to do. I know all the regions well enough.

I've had some fishing huts show up on some maps and not show up on another map.  I've also noticed that the likelyhood of a hut not showing up increased when there was a container in the hut.  I've also had the same car show up in some and not in others.  Ditto caves.  I haven't been able to link the commonality.  Right now I'm going thru and see if its a location issue.  As an example, some people have reported that they couldn't get an icon to mark if they were looking at the left of a transit point, but could get it to mark if they looked at the right.  Still standing in the same spot.  If I can figure out the pattern, its off to bug report land. :)  This is of course if I don't get eaten by wolves, stomped on by bears, tossed about by moose or just freeze to death. 

К сожалению, на нескольких картах существует ограничение на отображение значков. Например, в PV и CH это равно 31. Я не думаю, что разработчики встретит вас и отменит лимит. Но вы можете попробовать Photoshop :)

6 hours ago, Turbolovers said:

Unfortunately, on several maps there is a restriction on the display of icons. For example, in PV and GH, it equals 31. I do not think that the developers will meet you and increase the limit. But you can try Photoshop

Try counting the things marked on @Yaki's maps - there are a lot more than 31items. And many more items are shown on the second map than the first yet still no extra man-made structures.

Archived