Eating Ruined Meat

mystifeid

Even though the option is not presented on screen it is possible to eat ruined meat when picking it up with left click -> space. Calories are added and as long as it has been cooked with level 5 cooking skill, does not make you sick. Well, actually, I'm a little unsure about that second part - maybe it doesn't make you sick no matter what cooking skill was used but I'm hoping someone else can test that out!

The inventory on the other hand, does present the option to eat ruined meat but nothing happens when it is used.

Boy, do I have a lot of stashes of ruined meat around the place.

8 hours ago, mystifeid said:

Even though the option is not presented on screen it is possible to eat ruined meat when picking it up with left click -> space. Calories are added and as long as it has been cooked with level 5 cooking skill, does not make you sick. Well, actually, I'm a little unsure about that second part - maybe it doesn't make you sick no matter what cooking skill was used but I'm hoping someone else can test that out!

The inventory on the other hand, does present the option to eat ruined meat but nothing happens when it is used.

Boy, do I have a lot of stashes of ruined meat around the place.

Not sure if this answers your question, but you can cook uncooked-ruined meat to get it to 50%.

12 hours ago, dead frozen dude said:

Likewise, this way it's possible to eat "ruined" canned foods, drink sodas, etc... I can say I do this a lot -  if you're a lazy explorer and running your sandbox long enough, you tend to find quite a lot of goods beyond their expiration date. I think I've never got myself poisoned from eating these.

Yep, finally found some 0% Pinnacle Peaches - this is my second time around the maps and canned food of any description is pretty scarce. Anyway, after cooking it was still 0% and I had to drop it and then eat it when I picked it up.

Strange that the game even allows opening and cooking the can.

26 minutes ago, cekivi said:

I'm contract teaching for the winter

My commiserations. But it's not the end of the world and it beats being cold and hungry.

26 minutes ago, cekivi said:

What I meant was it's funny logic that ruined meat can be made edible by frying it and with level 5 cooking (the right stats) you can eat it with no risks.

It's even funnier that ruined cooked food can be eaten at all. Day 218 now and I was stripping every bit of meat and cooking it knowing that even if I got back to it after it got to 0% I could still eat it. Don't think I'll bother cooking it now - just harvest the meat and drop it on the spot.

5 hours ago, Wade said:

Unless you are pooping on your meat, you won't get E-Coli.  Or maybe your outdoor hygiene just needs some work.  Wash your hands fella.

Shots to the torso of animals also runs the risk of rupturing intestines as does improper cleaning of the carcass. Suffice to say there are ways to contaminate the meat if you are not careful ;) 

Wow! Learned something new again.  Did not know that cooking ruined meat will raise the condition.   Thx Hozz!!

This strongly suggests you should always leave meat uncooked if you want to store it right?  Then you can revive it from "ruined" status, unlike cooked meat.

But, will ruined meat de spawn eventually?  Or does it remain in game in its ruined state?

54 minutes ago, Revantulet said:

So that means you should always store meat uncooked right?

Only until you reach level 5 cooking (say around 100 days) - after that it makes no difference since you can then eat ruined cooked meat (that was cooked with level 5 - which gives protection from food poisoning). At least until this is fixed.

However if you leave raw meat to be ruined before cooking it, again do not cook it until you reach level 5 cooking as it will only bring it back to 50%.

Eating meat that was cooked with anything less than level 5 has a good chance of giving you food poisoning when it's condition is less than about 70%. Or at least that's how it used to work.

Anyway I treat 69% level 4 cooked meat as being inedible and only good for use as a decoy. Not that I use decoys.

Wow did not know that!

guess I've been lucky.  I have'nt been watching meat condition and I've only gotten food poisoning a couple times -- once from a can of sardines.  Now I do not trust those things!

another time my hand just weirdly betrayed me and hit space bar for no reason while I was looking at a peice of raw wolf meat.  I wanted to eat the higher calorie peice of two pieces I had sitting out in the snow.  Got parasites and food poisoning at once!

oh and dog food -- got it once from dog food.  Managed to make eating dog food even less appetizing (and eating dog food is waaay not appetizing already because I have a dog and his food disgusts me)

1 hour ago, Revantulet said:

Got parasites and food poisoning at once!

Probably one of the toughest games I've played was when, after making a bow, I purposefully kept eating wolves until I got parasites in an Interloper game. Man that was hard. But it teaches you a lot about surviving with low health and stamina. My twenty days of hell are included in this thread.

Archived