I great but depressing idea

Blazepup

OKAY I know this sounds bad but what if you added the ability to kill yourself with painkillers. Because sometimes while exploring you can find dead people with painkillers around them like 4 bottles of the stuff and I assumed they killed themselves with painkillers by accident or on purpose ( I mean thats what I assumed )   KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK YOU GUYS!!!!!

This was discussed a long time ago on the steam forums. Whilst it is somewhat realistic (ODing on painkillers as far as I know is actually fairly unpredictable) being able to commit suicide by ODing in a computer game could be quite controversial and publicity you just don't want.  It's no joke either, people do find themselves in these situations and emulating it in a game is in poor taste. 

It would also probably raise the certification of the game and TLD is a fairly non violent, all ages game.

• 2 weeks later...

If Hinterland or another company ever wanted to get into the dark grittiness of the dark city life, trying to survive day by day doing work for gangs and drug dealers, this would definitely be something to include and I would be interested. Of course, such a game would require stoic players who could handle such a dark theme.

But this is not a feature for TLD.  There's already enough out there on Great Bear ready to do you in. Don't need the ability to OD, as well.

If you have the urge to kill yourself off, just jump into a ravine. I don't think suicide by painkillers would fit in a game like the long dark.

Besides that, I have never seen a corpse with 4 bottles of painkillers next to it, just one max. Long dark places loot items at random, but finding 4 bottles of painkillers next to it would be really  weird...

Archived