Make Jerky

virgo0223

HI i want to say how much i love this game. it has kept me entertained for hours. i would like to know if your team  will add a way to preserve food. like racks that you could dry meat to make jerky. just a way to keep food for later use. after i kill a deer i find myself eating the meat when im not hungry cause the meat goes bad before i can eat it all. so i hate using bullets for anything other then defense be cause of this reason. Thanks.

Mmmm, Jerky.  I hope if they ever begin supporting mods, some nice modder like Wulfmarius will do some work on something like this.  Heck, if they had a creation kit of sorts, I would work on this!  Some jerky and salted fish.  Yum.

I think the best thing about jerky would be the weight savings.  Remove water from something and it suddenly becomes a crapton lighter.

Maybe cut the calorie number if fresh meat/fish is made into jerky to maintain balance.

Or maybe a strong dehydrating effect.  /shrug  Lots of things possible here.

Yea, we discussed this many times before. I think many people want to see player-made jerky. But truth is, the meat will spoil very slowly outside, and any more preserving means that the player can just make huge stores of meat that never goes bad, and than don't have to do any hunting at all, and that that's not what Hinterland want for the game, at least it seems so.

So I doubt they have plans to make food more preservable. If there is something of a "bonus" to idea of making jerky, it would be that the "produced jerky" would be much less smelly than the cooked meat. So it would attract predators less. Besides that, I don't see much point to it, because the spoiling factor is kind of what keeps the players focused on the need to hunt, regularly.

I hope they decide to rework the cooking system instead. It would be great if the players could get more of a variety of food from cooking, then just steaks. I wouldn't mind if the jerky did appear in the game, but it provided less calories, made the player thirstier, but it would have greatly reduced smell, and it would take longer to spoil. At the same time, there could be food which would be rich, provide other bonuses (mostly effects like coffee or tea) but would instead spoil fairly quickly.

• 2 months later...

On 12/22/2017 at 1:10 PM, Sunwolf said:

I think the best thing about jerky would be the weight savings.  Remove water from something and it suddenly becomes a crapton lighter.

Maybe cut the calorie number if fresh meat/fish is made into jerky to maintain balance.

Or maybe a strong dehydrating effect.  /shrug  Lots of things possible here.

All of this. The weight savings from steak-to-jerky yet preserving calories would be the only benefit but a big one. There are few lightweight foods in the game as is. 

Make a dried/smoked meat and fish food option, make them dehydrating. It seems fairly simple tbh.

• 9 months later...

I would not be suprised if jerky got into the game at some point, even if it might not work the way people would hope... simply because this is one of the most often requested ideas out there, and Hinterland has tendencies to listen to what community wants. I am guessing they would just have to find a way to nerf it to prevent non-spoil food hoarding. Like I said before, I think the homemade jerky has its benefits - and I wouldnt mind to have it in the game.

Being able to dry meats would be a wonderful addition to the game and to balance it, make raw ruined (0%) meat inedible even after cooking. To make life even harder allow for meat caches outside to be eaten by wolves and bears. 

By curing vs. cooking, they could simply slow the decay rate on it.  I really like this idea - they could start off with a simple structure made from sticks that you place over your fire that takes....oh, 3 times longer to cook/cure but lasts 3 times longer than normal cooked food.  This would encourage more planning of which food items to take for your particular excursion (e.g. going out into an unknown area?  Pack that jerky!)

Guest kristaok

I'd also love to see jerky implemented, they could make jerky last longer, but make it drier so it causes thirst. Also since the Jerky is dehydrated they could reduce the calories some, and make the jerky not have a smell like regular meat does. 

Archived