Faithful Cartographer Achievement Locations in The Long Dark [SPOILERS] - Updated for VIGILANT FLAME

Admin

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any chance this will be fixed for games that were started with v1.08? When I zoom in on the map the icon text for Stone Church triggers but there is still no icon and it only triggers when zoomed in, when zoom out only the text of the visible icons (leave dp and so on) triggers.

305620_screenshots_20180325121800_1.thumb.jpg.e29454278728c502b33762e5887a752e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The coal mines had nothing to do with the Church bug we, the old savers, are witnessing here. You can map those mine entrances by some creative "sliding" around and getting a bit above the "huts" (did someone mention sprains?) even in old saves. But the Church is a different thing, it seems the save retains some older world properties from a previous world version. There's that faint circle instead of an icon (seen in the screen above), and it feels Hinterlands have given up on adding backward compatibility for this very situation. So, basically, the way I see it, there is no valid Church icon in old saves that would contribute to the achievement, you do need a new save where the icon is available  to be revealed via Cartography.

I do really wish my old 500-day achievement-related stalker save would be viable to finish off the Cartographer achievement, but it's been at least half a year, and no success so far. I'm frustrated enough to make this my first post on these forums.

Welcome to the forum ashein!

Yes it's frustrating, I just got my hopes up because I did indeed miss the 2nd "Leave Ravine Icon" but I still didn't get the achievement after mapping it. Tripple checked again every location and they are all there except for the Stone Church. But I still got 220 days left to hit 500, so one can always keep hoping ;)

@ChillPlayer, thanks for the warm welcome.

----

Re-ran through all locations again on latest 1.29, running a mapping action and comparing against the list in this thread. Everything's mapped except that glitched Stone Church. Seeing plants and some scattered loot reset. The Ravine is fixed at last for me, the Basin reveals fine now.

How do you know the initial game version of your save? I think mine is from November 2017, but I might be mistaken. People seem able to finish with the saves that old..

Noticing some plants and loot reset, but still no luck otherwise. Stone Church just doesn't want to yield.

the church, agrh

On 4/14/2018 at 4:08 AM, Alaqella said:

I remember my save being this old because after I finished the story, I wanned to finish all the challenges and achievements and I did. There weren't many updates in-between until the December one.

All I was missing were 500 days, lvl5 of everything and Faithful C., so I started a new safe somewhere in september/october.

Really try the icon again. It gave it to me after the  first try standing at the front of the church

Is this PC, PS4, or Xbox?

On Xbox, Stone Churxh is not showing. Still.  Neither is the east transition icon in Ravine.

Going back several posts (months), will this unlock in a custom game?  As much as I (and my girlfriend, she might be more impatient with this than I am) don't want to do this again on top of my 540 day run, I guess I will if it has to be.

The missing locations in Wintermute were fixed retroactively. I don't see why this can't be the same thing, to those saying old files won't work. For that matter, our game log shows where we've been, and Stone Church is definitely on that list.

Double post, but anyhow...

I finally got the achievement. B|

I revisited my older Stalker run for which I had 100% locations, and re-mapped a few places where the 'named location' wasn't initially showing on the map. They still weren't showing, so I exited the game (I don't use the Steam overlay or whatever pops up when you get an achievement) and viola! Done. Seems there are a few places where names just won't show up. Wish I could say for sure what exactly what changed; I just went to a few places I thought were buggy and re-mapped, tried to fill in some of the black areas and somehow that seemed to do it.

Anyhow, I'm happy about this because my character endured a heck of a lot of suffering (and I put in a fair few hours!) to get everything mapped but it just wouldn't pop.

So, yay!

19 hours ago, Carbon said:

Double post, but anyhow...

I finally got the achievement. B|

I revisited my older Stalker run for which I had 100% locations, and re-mapped a few places where the 'named location' wasn't initially showing on the map. They still weren't showing, so I exited the game (I don't use the Steam overlay or whatever pops up when you get an achievement) and viola! Done. Seems there are a few places where names just won't show up. Wish I could say for sure what exactly what changed; I just went to a few places I thought were buggy and re-mapped, tried to fill in some of the black areas and somehow that seemed to do it.

Anyhow, I'm happy about this because my character endured a heck of a lot of suffering (and I put in a fair few hours!) to get everything mapped but it just wouldn't pop.

So, yay!

Which platform?

Edit: Oh wait, you said Steam.

Oh, the silly things one does to get an achievement badge... After the latest patch, I one again tried to map the DP church in my old 250+ days Stalker game, started about September '17, to no avail. So - started up a new Pilgrim mode game and went through the maps, and finally got the achievement. 45 game-days of relaxed boredom - could have been less if I had not been foolish to take on a moose, just as I needed to climb a rope to move on.

2 hours ago, norup said:

Oh, the silly things one does to get an achievement badge... After the latest patch, I one again tried to map the DP church in my old 250+ days Stalker game, started about September '17, to no avail. So - started up a new Pilgrim mode game and went through the maps, and finally got the achievement. 45 game-days of relaxed boredom - could have been less if I had not been foolish to take on a moose, just as I needed to climb a rope to move on.

Which platform?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2018 at 11:22 AM, Sashamorning said:

Going back several posts (months), will this unlock in a custom game? 

Yes.  I just completed this on a new Custom game (Steam, v1.30).  I chose to do it on Pilgrim settings but also wanted to turn off the character chatter and sprains -- hence Custom mode.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add a note here about the Faithful Cartographer achievement on XBox One -- after additional testing we've confirmed it does unlock and is functioning on that platform, using the list of locations we've provided. The only chance there might be an issue is if you are playing on a very old save game still. We are investigating ways to mitigate the issue of the achievement not triggering on those older saves, however. 

20 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Just to add a note here about the Faithful Cartographer achievement on XBox One -- after additional testing we've confirmed it does unlock and is functioning on that platform, using the list of locations we've provided. The only chance there might be an issue is if you are playing on a very old save game still. We are investigating ways to mitigate the issue of the achievement not triggering on those older saves, however. 

Hi Patrick,

is this on a developer's build or the actual live version of the game?

Because I started a brand new (custom) game on v1.30 35398, mapped everything according to the list, yet no achievement. I can post screenshots if helpful.

Xbox Live says "Only 0% of gamers have this achievement" - it should be at least 0.01% if there is at least one person who successfully unlocked it.

1 hour ago, derechtegraf1 said:

Hi Patrick,

is this on a developer's build or the actual live version of the game?

Because I started a brand new (custom) game on v1.30 35398, mapped everything according to the list, yet no achievement. I can post screenshots if helpful.

Xbox Live says "Only 0% of gamers have this achievement" - it should be at least 0.01% if there is at least one person who successfully unlocked it.

The test was on v1.30, yes. One thing to check first is to make sure you have logged the Forlorn Muskeg locations correctly, as that seems to have tripped some players up, and was noted by the testing team. 

@derechtegraf1 I found I had particular problems with Icons (vs locations).  Twice I thought I'd mapped them, and even checked the map for them immediately after surveying, but somehow they weren't there later.  For me the problem icons were Hibernia in DP and the Cinder Hills Mine in CH.  In addition the "Leave Crumbling Highway" icon at the mine end of Crumbling Highway was really tricky to map... took me about 10 attempts to get it to show.   Once I re-surveyed these Icons I finished the achievement.  v1.30, steam, custom game, live branch.

If you still can't spot the missing location/icon, I'd be happy to review your map screenshots.  I have a lot of practice staring at them now.  ;)

On 5/15/2018 at 4:25 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

Mr. Carlson,

Can you confirm that this is also an issue with PC/Steam? I'm dealing with the icon issue on a file that was made the day of the save wipe (June 2017?).  Would that meet your definition of a "very old save?" And are you folks looking into mitigating the issue on older pc files as well? When will we know more about those efforts? 

Also, I'm mildly confused why backwards compatibility is an issue. New features. New achievements (with more to come I assume). That are incompatible for older or existing saves -- that is, older files where players have survived (at least thus far). There's a 500 day achievement, which can take a fair amount of time to accomplish. So I assume that HL has it in mind that folks will have older saves in their arsenal. Is that not right? Was it always intended that Long Dark would be a game where players would continually flush their old saves and just move on after a rousing 10-20 day experience (except for 1% that pursued The Will to Live?). Not trying to pile it on or be disrespectful.  Far from it. It's just hard to know what to read of this. This is far from the only instance where people who have met the challenge are on the short stick of the stick  -- to the point that it can feel like the survival, longer- or shorter term, is disincentivized by virtue of having future avenues closed off to you . Again, no disrespect intended. These are questions asked in earnest. 

Thank you,

RB

Ok, so I only started playing a few weeks ago, so I know its not an old save issue.  I'm pretty sure I've gotten all the locations, with one possible exception.  In forlorn muskeg, theres two icons apparently for "leave forlorn muskeg"  I have two of them, but I'm pretty sure there should be a third, because there are three exits (mountain town, broken railroad, and mystery lake)  I can't get one to show up for the broken railroad exit though.

I'm attaching links to my maps, let me know if yall see something I'm missing, or if I'm bugged.

https://ibb.co/ktDjLo
https://ibb.co/dbx5RT
https://ibb.co/gVWAt8
https://ibb.co/dCNGY8
https://ibb.co/ikpVt8
https://ibb.co/c1XGY8
https://ibb.co/fbA3D8
https://ibb.co/mT8emT
https://ibb.co/cAVmY8
https://ibb.co/kiePLo
https://ibb.co/dNQaRT

3 hours ago, bobbybob said:

Ok, so I only started playing a few weeks ago, so I know its not an old save issue.  I'm pretty sure I've gotten all the locations, with one possible exception.  In forlorn muskeg, theres two icons apparently for "leave forlorn muskeg"  I have two of them, but I'm pretty sure there should be a third, because there are three exits (mountain town, broken railroad, and mystery lake)  I can't get one to show up for the broken railroad exit though.

I'm attaching links to my maps, let me know if yall see something I'm missing, or if I'm bugged.

Just a data point, but I know of people who only got the two "Leave Forlorn Muskeg" icons you mentioned and still got the achievement. Further, Hinterland's Guide only mentions two icons. So it seems like you're on the right track. Any other icons/location triggers you might be missing? 

On 5/19/2018 at 7:05 AM, RationalBassist said:

Mr. Carlson,

Can you confirm that this is also an issue with PC/Steam? I'm dealing with the icon issue on a file that was made the day of the save wipe (June 2017?).  Would that meet your definition of a "very old save?" And are you folks looking into mitigating the issue on older pc files as well? When will we know more about those efforts? 

Also, I'm mildly confused why backwards compatibility is an issue. New features. New achievements (with more to come I assume). That are incompatible for older or existing saves -- that is, older files where players have survived (at least thus far). There's a 500 day achievement, which can take a fair amount of time to accomplish. So I assume that HL has it in mind that folks will have older saves in their arsenal. Is that not right? Was it always intended that Long Dark would be a game where players would continually flush their old saves and just move on after a rousing 10-20 day experience (except for 1% that pursued The Will to Live?). Not trying to pile it on or be disrespectful.  Far from it. It's just hard to know what to read of this. This is far from the only instance where people who have met the challenge are on the short stick of the stick  -- to the point that it can feel like the survival, longer- or shorter term, is disincentivized by virtue of having future avenues closed off to you . Again, no disrespect intended. These are questions asked in earnest. 

Thank you,

RB

I don't know if this issue with older saves and the FC achievement is specific to Xbox exactly, but I can check up on it. Plenty of players on Steam and PS4 have reported getting the achievement at this point. And in terms of Xbox players, as I understand it, the issue with older saves doesn't affect all those players, but is simply a potential obstacle if it isn't triggering. 

We always work to ensure fixes and updates apply "equally" to both newer and older games saves, but in this case, with this single achievement, there was a potential complication. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 16.5.2018 at 9:38 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

The test was on v1.30, yes. One thing to check first is to make sure you have logged the Forlorn Muskeg locations correctly, as that seems to have tripped some players up, and was noted by the testing team. 

Here are the screenshots from all maps - I believe everything is covered, yet no achievement. Appreciate if someone could take a look to see if I have missed anything. If I have, I'll try to map it ASAP to see if the achievement pops.

Thanks in advance!

6-2-2018_10-03-16_PM.png

6-3-2018_6-20-25_PM.png

6-3-2018_6-20-38_PM.png

6-3-2018_6-22-00_PM.png

6-3-2018_6-22-13_PM.png

6-3-2018_6-22-25_PM.png

6-3-2018_6-22-45_PM.png

6-3-2018_6-23-14_PM.png

6-3-2018_6-23-30_PM.png

6-3-2018_6-23-46_PM.png

6-3-2018_6-24-00_PM.png