Can't cancel starting fires anymore

landoforpresident

As the title said, it seems you can't cancel starting fires anymore. Is it a bug or an intentional change? It was my main way to scare off wolves quickly, it's just annoying that you have to start a whole fire now, considering how long it takes. Also there's nothing realistic about being forced to stay by the fire when it's starting, one could always go away anytime (just like any other action in the game as far as i know), now instead you're basically trapped and hypnotized by those small flames.

I've also encountered this. I thought it was probably an intentional change in order to make campfire-lighting feel less like an exploit for scaring off wolves (because it now costs you 1 piece of fuel every time where it didn't before, and it takes an irritatingly long time)

But there are far better ways to achieve that aim, if that's what it is. And @cullam's post makes me think it could be a bug.

5 hours ago, Pillock said:

I've also encountered this. I thought it was probably an intentional change in order to make campfire-lighting feel less like an exploit for scaring off wolves (because it now costs you 1 piece of fuel every time where it didn't before, and it takes an irritatingly long time)

But there are far better ways to achieve that aim, if that's what it is. And @cullam's post makes me think it could be a bug.

You can use a stick as fuel so it's not a big deal. Also i just recently unlocked level 5 firestarting, so it's actually pretty fast at starting fires, but still it's annoying.

9 minutes ago, landoforpresident said:

You can use a stick as fuel so it's not a big deal. Also i just recently unlocked level 5 firestarting, so it's actually pretty fast at starting fires, but still it's annoying.

It' not a big deal, no. But you can now turn the stick spawn ratios right down in the Custom game set-up so I guess it might become a bigger deal, possibly?

But intuitively, I think you should stop lighting a fire if you decide you don't want it anymore, anyway. And I've argued for a long time that simply beginning the process of fire-starting should never be enough to scare away a wolf in itself: you should have to get the thing actually burning before it has any effect. That way, it'd be much less of a gimme and would make torches and flares much more valuable in that regard than they currently are; also it would bring accelerant into play a lot more, where now it's pretty negligible in its usefulness.

7 minutes ago, Pillock said:

It' not a big deal, no. But you can now turn the stick spawn ratios right down in the Custom game set-up so I guess it might become a bigger deal, possibly?

But intuitively, I think you should stop lighting a fire if you decide you don't want it anymore, anyway. And I've argued for a long time that simply beginning the process of fire-starting should never be enough to scare away a wolf in itself: you should have to get the thing actually burning before it has any effect. That way, it'd be much less of a gimme and would make torches and flares much more valuable in that regard than they currently are; also it would bring accelerant into play a lot more, where now it's pretty negligible in its usefulness.

Agreed'd, always found it funny that a tiny spark and smoke would send a wolf running :ph34r: 

One exception though: If you use accelerant even the starting process should scare the animal. 

Sam

3 hours ago, Pillock said:

I wouldn't mind, if torches and flares actually WORKED everytime. Right now i feel like they're too unreliable, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Maybe there's something i don't know.

19 hours ago, landoforpresident said:

I wouldn't mind, if torches and flares actually WORKED everytime. Right now i feel like they're too unreliable, sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Maybe there's something i don't know.

To get torches and flares to work, you need to land it in front of the wolf, then move left/right as necessary to ensure the wolf will step on it as it straight-lines toward you.. that'll make it run.

Alternatively, hitting them in the face with it works also, but is a lot harder to pull off.

Confirmed.  This one got my arse kicked but good by a wolf.  I could hear it growling on approach.  I wanted to move, I tried to move but I was transfixed by the flames.   So bright, so beautiful...

That experience was in 1.17 but I just checked in 1.19 and there's no way to abort once I hit "start fire."  Playing with matches outside appears to have consequences.

I almost died (or a least injured myself serverly) by this. I’m on Xbox  version 1.19, and I accidentally clicked on a burnt out campfire instead of a candy bar. The fire started lighting, and I’m standing directly on top of it, so it wouldn’t have been good if the fire starting didn’t fail

• 5 months later...

The fire making process should cancel.  Not sure why this was changed.  Could this issue be looked at before the next update.

Also scarring off wolves with starting a fire seems wrong.  Especially when using the magnify lens. 

Hold on there doggo I have to get the right angle of the sun onto the lens. and have the proper distance from the tinder just to start it smoldering.  Now go away please.

On 12/14/2017 at 8:40 PM, Pillock said:

But intuitively, I think you should stop lighting a fire if you decide you don't want it anymore, anyway. And I've argued for a long time that simply beginning the process of fire-starting should never be enough to scare away a wolf in itself:

I agree with this.

On the subject of fire; why does the fuel used in a fire completely vanish when the wind blows it out?  

On 15/12/2017 at 12:40 PM, Pillock said:

But intuitively, I think you should stop lighting a fire if you decide you don't want it anymore, anyway. And I've argued for a long time that simply beginning the process of fire-starting should never be enough to scare away a wolf in itself: you should have to get the thing actually burning before it has any effect. That way, it'd be much less of a gimme and would make torches and flares much more valuable in that regard than they currently are; also it would bring accelerant into play a lot more, where now it's pretty negligible in its usefulness.

Well said.

55 minutes ago, Ice Hole said:

On the subject of fire; why does the fuel used in a fire completely vanish when the wind blows it out?

That's another point - one should have the ability to extinguish a fire and recover some of the fuel other than tediously drawing torches and then turning them into sticks. Same for situations when the fire gets blown out. There might have to be a delay though because the thing has to cool down before you can touch it and put into your backpack.

I've been playing a Custom game with the animal detection setting on as far/long as possible, because I thought it would be an interesting challenge and possibly feel more realistic. But I've discovered that it just exposes the AI problems in a more glaring way than you get on the default modes.

If you light a fire to scare off a wolf, (or if you scare it with a gunshot) it runs away as normal. But the problem is that it doesn't run away far enough to be outside it's detection range, so as soon as it recovers from its 'fear mode' it detects you again immediately and comes straight back. This seems to trap the wolf (or wolves, if there's a group of them) into a frustrating and repetitive cycle of aggressive approach, run away, recover, aggressive approach. And you can't get away from them!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived