Fishing Milton Basin

Wade

I was very excited to see Milton Basin but utterly devastated to find there is no fishing there.  That means NO fishing in Milton, BR, or FM.  I wish they would have put a fishing shack down there instead of some broken down hermit house.  It looks like a big lake, and there is even a boat there, so please let us fish down there!

It would be interesting if the Hermit's Cabin was made a legitimate long-term base this way. Although there are deer, moose, and wolves nearby, the complete lack of protection offsets this. If a fishing hut was added, that would be interesting, although it would probably be better simply to live in the hut rather than live in a ruined shack. To balance this, they could add a ruined fishing hut with a stove but limited wind blocking capabilities. Alternatively, they could add an abandoned prepped cache nearby, like the one in PV. A hermit is the kind of person who would prep.

Adding a fishing hut to BR is also a good idea. Fishing access would put the maintenance shed on the list of favored bases. Currently, there isn't really any reason to go to BR because there are tons of wolves, somewhat sparse loot, and a landslide I still don't know how to pass without glitching over. Adding a decent base location in BR might change that.

FM shouldn't have fishing, due to the water only being waist deep.

I would be happy enough if they just added some holes on the ice you could choose to break open.  Then you could build a fire next to it.  Fishing is my vacation activity during long survival periods, and none of the stated regions has any fishing.  That makes that entire side of the map basically a no fishing zone.

It seems that fishing is sort of mostly limited to coastal areas, and occasionally there is a specific spot on one of the maps.

However, seeing its location, I believe Milton could have one of those "lone fishing huts".

5 hours ago, Fuarian said:

I think we should be able to make a small hole ourselves instead of always relying on huts. 

Even if there were some limits to this, it would still mean that fishing becomes something you can easily rely on, because on most maps there are suitable bodies of water. Fish would become very common. I dont think thats a good idea - its easy as it is right now.

4 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

It seems that fishing is sort of mostly limited to coastal areas, and occasionally there is a specific spot on one of the maps.

However, seeing its location, I believe Milton could have one of those "lone fishing huts".

Even if there were some limits to this, it would still mean that fishing becomes something you can easily rely on, because on most maps there are suitable bodies of water. Fish would become very common. I dont think thats a good idea - its easy as it is right now.

Just make it so that you can outfish a body of water (if it's not on the coast that is)

I would like to see a fishing hut too. I mean, Milton used to be a small town and i am pretty sure that a fishing hut is a pretty common thing in these areas. Just put some wolves in this area too so it is not a safe place.

6 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

This could be balanced by limiting the amount of time a player can use a selfmade fishing crack. It is cold outside, so it will freeze eventually, forcing the player to reopen the crack. And fishing seems to be a very reliable strategy nowadays already. I don´t see that as a big issue.

5 hours ago, Fuarian said:

Just make it so that you can outfish a body of water (if it's not on the coast that is)

Nah. That doesnt change the whole point - anywhere with a big enough body of water, fishing now would be an option. Say you are desperate on calories but cannot rely on hunting for whatever reason (might be too far away from a weapon and too weak to get there) - as long as there is a body of water, you are fine. Even if that said body of water contained only 3 fish.

Quantity is not the problem, the rarity is. Right now, you can only fish in a predesignated spots. So, if you wish to do fishing, you must travel there. You should have noticed by now, there is no IDEAL base in TLD - each location is missing something important. In some cases, vicinity of fishing spot is that one thing.

4 hours ago, TerribleSurvivor said:

This could be balanced by limiting the amount of time a player can use a selfmade fishing crack. It is cold outside, so it will freeze eventually, forcing the player to reopen the crack. And fishing seems to be a very reliable strategy nowadays already. I don´t see that as a big issue.

How is that different from the current system? With the exception that there would be no stove behind you, not that a stove is a neccesity...

This is hardly balanced. If you could open a hole anywhere, it just means you are literally able to fish anywhere. And there are only a few locations that are far away from any sort of water in the game. This beats the fact that you HAVE to visit a fishing hut if you want to fish.

I have nothing against having designed "fishing areas" which are not an actual wind protected shack, but I dont think player should be able to create those anywhere they want. I think its a good thing that fishing areas are far away from the location, cause it forces the player to venture there with added risk.

1 hour ago, Mroz4k said:

Nah. That doesnt change the whole point - anywhere with a big enough body of water, fishing now would be an option. Say you are desperate on calories but cannot rely on hunting for whatever reason (might be too far away from a weapon and too weak to get there) - as long as there is a body of water, you are fine. Even if that said body of water contained only 3 fish.

Quantity is not the problem, the rarity is. Right now, you can only fish in a predesignated spots. So, if you wish to do fishing, you must travel there. You should have noticed by now, there is no IDEAL base in TLD - each location is missing something important. In some cases, vicinity of fishing spot is that one thing.

How is that different from the current system? With the exception that there would be no stove behind you, not that a stove is a neccesity...

This is hardly balanced. If you could open a hole anywhere, it just means you are literally able to fish anywhere. And there are only a few locations that are far away from any sort of water in the game. This beats the fact that you HAVE to visit a fishing hut if you want to fish.

I have nothing against having designed "fishing areas" which are not an actual wind protected shack, but I dont think player should be able to create those anywhere they want. I think its a good thing that fishing areas are far away from the location, cause it forces the player to venture there with added risk.

You could also adjust the probability of fish biting your hook based on the amount of fish in this body. Also you should only be able to catch that occasional rainbow sprout (low sized?). This wouldn´t be the option for quick calories in most cases (or at least not enough to fit your needs). This way, the amount of time you spend compared to the calories you get deems it highly unsuitable for last resort situations!

The only reason to do it ever this way is for a quick way to get some drops of lamp oil (just an example).

3 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Well again, I proposed the ability to make your own fishing hole regardless of there being a fishing hut or not. Now quantity still is an issue, not so much anymore since with custom difficulties you can set the fish rate but it's still too easy I find. Rarity isn't an issue because if you could fish anywhere then the challenge of each region would be taken away. Every region has one element missing because if it had everything there wouldn't be any real need to travel to other regions.

My sense is the main reason Milton has no fishing options is because in Wintermute the player isn't introduced to that mechanic until Episode 2. Jeremiah teaches the basic survival skills, so it makes no narrative sense to have fishing available within the Episode 1 Milton area. 

Of course, there's probably no reason why you couldn't still have a fishing hut, but simply make it non-interactive in Wintermute. Not everywhere has to have fishing huts. But given the close proximity of BR, FM, and Milton, it does mean there aren't a lot of fishing options once you leave ML in that direction. 

When it comes to MT, there's a big freakin' lake there... I'd expect there to be some fishing huts. Esp. as we know that people were there relatively recently And as has been said, no fishing in FM, MT, and BR means that no fishing in that end of the map at all.

Hmmm... the point's been made that the smallmouth bass doesn't like polluted waters, so maybe that lake is boxed from old mining activity, and that's the explanation for why there's no fishing there. Still, I'd think that given that BR has a hunting lodge that one'd expect there to be some fishing there too as lodges that don't have fishing tend not to do very well in the business of being a lodge.

2 hours ago, LucidFugue said:

My sense is the main reason Milton has no fishing options is because in Wintermute the player isn't introduced to that mechanic until Episode 2. Jeremiah teaches the basic survival skills, so it makes no narrative sense to have fishing available within the Episode 1 Milton area. 

That is certainly an interesting take on the lack of fishing.

It seems my "Wish" of fishing Milton Basin is leading to the the inevitable Fishing Overhaul discussion.  Personally I don't see fishing as something that needs to be overhauled right away.  I would however like to fish there since there is no fishing on that side of the map, and Milton Basin is the logical place to have it if you were going to put it in one of those three Regions.  It certainly makes more sense than having fishing at Pensive Pond.  Hey Hinterland; how about you pack up the Pensive Pond Shack and move it to Milton Basin!  Thank you so much for the new difficulty tool box BTW.  Best sandbox addition in a couple years!

I love pensive pond! Don't be taking my PV fishin' hole! 

Tbh though, I have grown as a player by trying to survive in different regions as the things they do and do not have force adaptations on the part of the player. As much as I enjoy fishing (CH is probably my favourite map, even taking Quonset's wolf population into account) I am reluctant to see it as a problem that there are a lack of nearby fishing options in those regions. 

Not against the idea. I guess I'm just ambivalent 

To each their own.  Personally, fishing is my escape from the hard work of surviving.  I see fishing as a vacation, where as others see it as an easily exploitable way to get food.  That is what they created wish lists for right?  Some dream of fishing Milton Basin, others could care less.  I understand the concept that every region should be lacking something, but it just seems like a bit of an oversight to have three regions clustered together on one side of the map with no fishing option.  I fear my survivor will grow tired of not having fishing in that region.  He did seem to linger at the cliff looking into the basin for an abnormally long time.

I figured since the basin is transition to muskeg, it's large watery area but more swamp than open water to sustain fish big enough to make fishing worthwhile.

BR pond by the Lodge is better option for fishing shack. Though I'd limit small ponds to white fish only, nothing bigger than 2.5kg.

I think adding a fishing hut to BR is a good idea, on the Crystal Lake/Pensive Pond model.  That region is rather remote, and much poorer in resources than other regions -- it needs some love.

On 12/11/2017 at 7:23 PM, Salty Crackers said:

Doing that would make DP way too overpowered, as you could pump up the Riken wheelhouse fire, make a hole next to the ship, and fish coho salmon for days

How is this any different from living in a fish hut in CH?  But I agree with your stance about no fishing in DP.  DP is so fuel-rich, fishing would make surviving there trivial indeed.

On 12/11/2017 at 6:51 PM, Salty Crackers said:

FM shouldn't have fishing, due to the water only being waist deep.

FM shouldn't have fishing due to no fish.  Muskegs are highly acidic.    

7 hours ago, KinoUnko said:

I figured since the basin is transition to muskeg, it's large watery area but more swamp than open water to sustain fish big enough to make fishing worthwhile.

BR pond by the Lodge is better option for fishing shack. Though I'd limit small ponds to white fish only, nothing bigger than 2.5kg.

Its kind of hard to call the basin more swamp than open water IMHO.  It definately looks more like an alpine lake than a swamp to me.  Although one could technically argue that both the Basin and pond at BR are swamp areas since we have no idea what the depths are.

Archived