Crafting tool decay

Sunwolf

Greetings!

I understand I need a knife or hatchet to craft a bear skin coat.  Based on the decay of the tool, is it better to attempt to craft the coat in a few marathon sessions or just put in an hour or two when I'm passing a bench, or  does it matter?  Is the decay of the knife/hatchet a static thing based on what I'm crafting or does it fluctuate  based on something else?  Any help is greatly appreciated!

I have done quite a lot of crafting with improvised tools during one of my sessions of 200 days spent on Timberwolf, and the decay there was most definitely linear. If I am not mistaken, it took about 4% of durability damage per 8 hours of crafting of deerskin boots. Whether its different for various items or not I cant tell you. But it's not fluctuating.

But durability, in particular, is a finicky thing. Tons of things cause decay - time, animal attacks, weather. So if you noticed some changes, I would guess those were a result of other elements in play, rather then the crafting. You might sometimes see that as your sharpening skill increases, you renew more durability - each level adds a little bit of extra - meaning that if your particular skill says you can sharpen it for +6% durability, in reality, it may be +6,7%.

Archived