For of those survivors who find that torches don't scare off wolves, you're in luck!

Fuarian

With the new Rugged Sentinel update, holding torches and standing still will stop a wolf in it's tracks for a short while (I'm guessing a few seconds, haven't stayed still to see what happens yet) then it gives you some time to position and throw your torch which works slightly better now. It's not guaranteed but from what I've seen it works well with torches and not flares and it's more successful if you stand still and stand your ground.

Wait... This is new? I though that this was always the case. This is how I used to deal with wolves. Far as I remember, you needed to wait for the wolves to stop before brandishing your torch. That way they will be at a good brandishing distance. There was even a time when a wolf would stay long enough for you to drop your torch, take out a weapon, and shoot the menacing beast before he could get you.

On 10.12.2017 at 10:11 PM, shade_grey said:

Wait... This is new? I though that this was always the case. This is how I used to deal with wolves. Far as I remember, you needed to wait for the wolves to stop before brandishing your torch. That way they will be at a good brandishing distance. There was even a time when a wolf would stay long enough for you to drop your torch, take out a weapon, and shoot the menacing beast before he could get you.

Brandishing is no longer a thing. The only way to scare off wolves with a torch is by throwing it at one. But the throwing distance is so pitiful, that the window of time between a wolf coming within throwing distance and a wolf coming within charging distance is so short, that I've stopped trying to scare wolves away unless I have a flare gun, because more often than not I would fail to throw it before it charges, or throw it too soon and it doesn't land near enough to the wolf. If they now stop for a short while, then trying to use torches to scare off wolves doesn't involve a huge risk of failure anymore.

2 hours ago, shade_grey said:

Did you read my post? I never said it was still a thing...

I got the impression that you were referring to the previous version of the game. Anywho, back in the torch brandishing days I recall wolves stopping only when I'd brandish the torch while holding my ground. Though maybe the brandishing just made them stop sooner. In any case I probably wouldn't have had such a hard time scaring off wolves with more recent versions of the game if stopping for a short while before charging a torch wielding player isn't new behavior.

58 minutes ago, Kristian2 said:

In any case I probably wouldn't have had such a hard time scaring off wolves with more recent versions of the game if stopping for a short while before charging a torch wielding player isn't new behavior.

Hmm... Maybe I just don't get many wolf encounters but far as I know, wolves have almost always stopped when encountering a torch wielding player... Save for a few exceptions: 1. The player has threatened (pointed a weapon at) the wolf. 2. The wolf is too near. 3. The wolf is following a decoy. 4. An aurora is currently taking place (latest update).

The next time a wolf charges you while you are wielding a torch, try backing away slightly right before it gets to stopping distance. I have observed times when instead of backing away, I walked toward it (sometimes access to safety was between me and the wolf) and, far as I know, during those times, the wolves rarely stopped. My hypothesis is that the code that stops the wolf can only be triggered at a certain distance, and sometimes, due to timing issues, the wolf runs right past that distance.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very thankful they changed this up a bit so that wolves stop a few feet in front of you and growl for about 5 seconds before pouncing you. A couple days ago, though, I ran into the wolf near the Deadfall area, lit up my flare, threw it right at him, it bounced off his noggin and landed right in front of him, and he was undeterred, came up and pounced me anyway. Guess I just made him angrier..

4 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

bounced off his noggin and landed right in front of him,

See you just made him mad, this is why I opt for the run like the wind, or in the case of some of my better equipped survivors, waddle like a pregnant yak, towards the nearest outcropping, man made structure or large clump of trees.  

3 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Youre supposed to wait until the wolf stops at the edge of your torch radius and is growling before throwing the torch. Works 90 percent of the time, the wolf wont charge you for at least 10 seconds once at the edge of your torch radius. Unless your torch goes out.

Got to remember that. I'm still super rusty on my torch technique. Truthfully though, I really miss brandishing. I thought it worked a lot better and was more thematic. Too bad you can't do both :)

2 hours ago, cekivi said:

Got to remember that. I'm still super rusty on my torch technique. Truthfully though, I really miss brandishing. I thought it worked a lot better and was more thematic. Too bad you can't do both :)

Ive been wishing theyd bring back brandishing through using the middle mouse button as an option, and bring back the "brands" 

I liked the voice acting for the brandishing as well, "you wanna do this?!" 

One tip to remember is that when the wolf stops, think of it as him finally sizing you up and deciding if its worth it, so thats when its the most important time to be intimidating and loud to them.

7 hours ago, Revantulet said:

I've never had a wolf charge me if I back way from it with a flare going.  Now that's mostly on Stalker.  I just recently switched to Loper and have been avoiding them, but....

I agree.  Forget throwing the flare at them.(That usually ends badly)  If you just light it and back up, keeping a decent distance they will just follow you all the way across the map.  Works everytime for me.

Archived