News on the Upcoming December Update to The Long Dark

Admin

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:21 PM, Flannix said:

NPC already are in TLD Neutral Popsicle Character can be found frozen everywhere unlike Alive (1993 motion picture)  you cannot harvest them.  

I talked about this kind of ''NPCs living their lifes", as we could imagine from this image :

NPCs (1).JPG

Edited by Vinceofpyrenees

2 hours ago, TerribleSurvivor said:

Lynx sounds like a good idea for making fur hats available imo.

It just should be ultra rare and cautious --> hard to hunt.

Yeah, they would have to be, because I read that they are endangered or almost extinct. They do attack people and Coyotes which would make interesting gameplay. Here is a video of a Canadian Lynx attacking a Coyote that I found: 

On 11/22/2017 at 6:01 PM, admin said:

we were sad to hear so many veteran survivors just didn’t enjoy Episode One as much due to the level of challenge, so in December we’ll be rolling out three new Experience Modes, specifically for WINTERMUTE.

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear.

I haven't played TLD at all since shortly after the full release, and it's precisely because I didn't like Story Mode at first. I didn't want to play Survivor Mode because I didn't want to spoil the new areas for when I played the story - but I didn't want to play Wintermute because, well, I didn't really find it much fun. So I ended up shelving the game altogether.

These developer update posts are always very open and honest - which is great to see in itself - but more often than not they contain very interesting and exciting news on the future of the game, too. Hats off to the team.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, XAlaskan_420X said:

I think it would be also cool to add in the Canadian Lynx. Here is a picture of a Canadian Lynx hunting a Snowshoe hare I found when researching crossbow hunting snowshoe hare. And a Canadian Lynx looking defensively aggressive.

Canadian Lynx seems to be a little more thickset than our european one. And I am also a partisan for his scarcity into the game and very hard to hunt because of his speed, and you know, little feline are on alert easily (thanks god for that he can run away the humans).

Is there white rabbits in canada, and supposely into the region where TLD takes place ?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

Is there white rabbits in canada, and supposely into the region where TLD takes place ?

In Québec I use to trap them in Matapedia valley, but in the south shore of montreal they are mostly brown, they are a pest for the orchard. 

• Upvote 1

I just started story mode a few days ago, before that I was playing only survivor mode. Personally, I feel nothing has been spoiled yet. Milton is very new to me. I won't spoil anything in case their are people here who haven't started story mode.

17 hours ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

Canadian Lynx seems to be a little more thickset than our european one. And I am also a partisan for his scarcity into the game and very hard to hunt because of his speed, and you know, little feline are on alert easily (thanks god for that he can run away the humans).

The Snowshoe hare is brown in the summer and white in the winter. Isn't that neat? And they are in Far North U.S., Canada and Alaska. They are even here in my hometown Anchorage, Alaska.

As opposed to all new clothing items, moose hide can just be an upgraded version of deer hide. Same clothing items but more warm and durable. Lynx would be interesting but I doubt they'd be a useful animal to hunt. They are incredibly wary of people and are quite small. A more realistic (and widespread) animal to include would be a weasel. You could trap them for fur to line hats and parkas. 

Also, welcome to the forums @XAlaskan_420X, @Flannix, @TerribleSurvivor, and @moistsack^_^ 

Edited by cekivi
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

As opposed to all new clothing items, moose hide can just be an upgraded version of deer hide. Same clothing items but more warm and durable. Lynx would be interesting but I doubt they'd be a useful animal to hunt. They are incredibly wary of people and are quite small. A more realistic (and widespread) animal to include would be a weasel. You could trap them for fur to line hats and parkas. 

Also, welcome to the forums @XAlaskan_420X, @Flannix, @TerribleSurvivor, and @moistsack^_^ 

Imagine TLD with mooses, weasels, foxes (and also because is the official logo), white owl (visible, not just the sound), grizzly !

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

Imagine TLD with mooses, weasels, foxes (and also because is the official logo), white owl (visible, not just the sound), grizzly !

I'd very much like that. Even if not all animals are harvestable it would do a lot to flesh out the world the player inhabits. 

• Upvote 3