News on the Upcoming December Update to The Long Dark

Admin

On 26.11.2017 at 5:53 PM, Athoen said:

So IMO, permadeath should be removed from pilgrim/voyageur (stalker ? less sure about it).

What!? No, no, no, permadeath is what makes the sandbox a thriller, just saying, so Hinterland don't think everybody want this removed :P . Without permadeath there wouldn't be a reason for playing the survival mode at all.

19 hours ago, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

Permadeath is one of the things that makes this game so good, it is as unforgiving as the wilderness it portrays. Definitely need to keep it. 

I couldn't agree more :) (even if i wanted to :D).

Edited by ingrobny
  • Upvote 6

Mooooose!

First off, you’re all waiting to hear more information about the Moose. The model, animation, audio, and core behaviour is all finished. We’ve populated the world with Moose — it’s a pretty rare animal so don’t expect it to be easy to find — and we’re now just tuning the AI behaviour and some of the Moose’s unique capabilities to make sure it feels balanced.

Mooseface1.thumb.jpg.e8639442103e4656b8730beb167439e2.jpg-Its souds like it will be pretty good. 

I can not wait for this update

You have really did a great job thanks you!

Edited by oplli

On 23.11.2017 at 10:14 AM, Hotzn said:

Milton will surely add more variety to the sandbox. On the other hand, it will add to making Interloper easier

in theory maybe but a few catstalks more won't be a big gamechanger and experienced interloper players usually know already where to get the important stuff like hammer, hacksaw, firestriker and so on. The difficulty in Interloper comes from not having a rifle as an easy solution to all animal problems and very low temperatures, I don't see this changing with the addition of a new region (unless they introduce a rifle and rename it to Stalker 2.0 :D). The only question is if the Lodge will replace Jackrabbits as my perma base on my future runs :D

but it was not the lack of difficulty that disappointed me a bit. It was rather the weaknesses in story and dialogue.

Or... because of the lack of difficulty we even had the chance to notice the weak story and dialogue. If it'd be on Interloper level keeping us constantly busy with surviving we wouldn't much care about weak story or even enjoy the little breaks from survival the dialogs provide - so I have high hopes for the new difficulty settings ;)

Thanks also for mentioning the achievements, I hope it will be confirmed that they work now 100%. And I think it goes without saying that Permadeath is the only viable mechanic for Sandbox. Very excited about Moose, should be a big-game animal without Parasites - I wonder if you can trick it to charge into a tree :D

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Vinceofpyrenees said:

I hope will have a Test Branch of a week at least, to have the time to discuss on the new content.

Given how many bugs and troubles they had with the launch of Wintermute, a testbranch wouldn't be the worst decision, at least for the sandbox.

Edited by ChillPlayer
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

Given how many bugs and troubles they had with the launch of Wintermute, a testbranch wouldn't be the worst decision, at least for the sandbox.

No thanks.

I think test branch is over and should forever be over and done with.

Thanks to Raphael's Twitter we can see that they are testing the sandbox...but I doubt they will ever open it up to a wide test branch style setup again.

• Upvote 1

On 11/28/2017 at 11:18 AM, Vinceofpyrenees said:

I don't think so. And if it really comes one day, they will be frozen NPC, unable to move on the world and live their life. It would be like in the story mod, in other words, a little poor to interact with.

Yea I could live with that I really liked the story of gray mother and the quests.

• Upvote 1

On 11/28/2017 at 5:18 AM, Vinceofpyrenees said:

I don't think so. And if it really comes one day, they will be frozen NPC, unable to move on the world and live their life. It would be like in the story mod, in other words, a little poor to interact with.

NPC already are in TLD Neutral Popsicle Character can be found frozen everywhere unlike Alive (1993 motion picture)  you cannot harvest them.  

• Upvote 1

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎28 at 10:49 AM, RossBondReturns said:

No thanks.

I think test branch is over and should forever be over and done with.

Thanks to Raphael's Twitter we can see that they are testing the sandbox...but I doubt they will ever open it up to a wide test branch style setup again.

You never know. There are studios who still do limited test branches with major updates. 

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

You never know. There are studios who still do limited test branches with major updates. 

True.

But (I'm not taking the time to find Raph's exact response now) but someone tweeted him to ask if there was going to be open testing on this update.

And he said no not this time or something to that effect.

Personally I would not want test branches anymore...and if there are any in the future I will not be joining them.

I had one of my best moments in test branch like when I almost run into a Bear in CH when there were only Bears in PV. I really love the ability to discover something truly for the first time that is not written in any forum, blog, reddit or shown in a youtube video. You only get this chance in test branch and for the first hour after release or so and then you either shut yourself out of all social media or get swarmed with info.

As far as I can tell people showed great discipline in marking every thread with huge spoiler tags and only post in the test branch forum, making it easy to avoid spoilers. Or to avoid the test branch altogether and simply not participate in it, life goes on in the parallel universe without being impacted by the test branch so I don't exactly see why one would wish that it should be done with forever :\

[EDIT]: btw, man would I wish there'd be a test branch right now :D

Edited by ChillPlayer
  • Upvote 1