Trees (Again)

Reahs

I think we should have the ability to take down trees and this has been suggested before several times I know that but I have never seen anyone say that we should be limited to small trees/Large saplings and to cut them down you will need to spend hours just like when you craft clothes, but how many hours you need will vary depending on tree size, axe condition, character condition and tiredness.

One thing too could be that if you are 70%(can vary) done on cutting down the tree there will be an event every hour that will run and the outcome will be either the tree will fall or stand, so what are the variables in the event?

How strong is the wind (heavy wind/blizzard), what kind of tree is it, for how long has the tree been exposed to heavy wind before this event check(continuous wind will increase the chance) and all this should result in a % chance of the tree falling.

This event would only trigger if there is some kind of wind right now.

So what would the trees yield?

They could give logs, bark, sticks and maybe firewood for the thinner parts of the tree, so the logs can be added to a fire as they are or you could split them up to get normal firewood.

So the process of cutting one of these down would be:

1. Cut it down

2. Chop it up into logs and salvage sticks and bark

3. (optional) Chop the logs into firewood

Leave a comment on what you think and what you would want to be changed in what I suggested and of course what you think is good about this 

It shouldn't take too long to take down a tree, especially if you've researched how, and the weight of the big ones works against them. The dangers are from falling limbs knocked loose while chopping (Widow Makers), not controlling where it will fall (can get caught in surrounding trees), and kick back when it hits the ground. Turning a big tree into firewood would take awhile though.

I would expect that cutting down a tree, and perhaps after a trimming operation, you would get: limbs, branches, sticks, and a trunk - if the trunk is left as an obstacle (like the other tree trunks in the game) the only bits missing are a work screen or two and the balance calculations. maybe... Cutting a tree would get you a trimmable trunk with some branches and sticks; trimming gets you limbs and a few more branches and sticks.

On 11/20/2017 at 7:42 PM, Fuarian said:

You'll a god damn chainsaw which is out of question. An axe would work but it would take ages. 

How about an electric chainsaw during the aurora?  Because there's nothing safer than cutting down large trees with dangerous power tools in the dark while being hunted by demon wolves.

I heat my house with wood irl.  Wood from live trees doesn't burn very well, irl good firewood comes from trees that have been down for a while--a few months minimum--or from dead limbs that fall, which is what is already represented in the game.  You could cut down a live tree but the wood would have too much moisture in it and would have to sit for months before it would be usable firewood.  Maybe entire fallen trees that fell months ago could be added to maps to be cut up, or sometimes a dead tree that would burn well will remain standing for a while  but it would be a LOT of work with a hatchet or axe.  Wood beyond a certain size would really have to be split as well before it could be used.  In a survival situation you would pretty much be better off using the small fallen limbs already represented in the game.

Why not just get the logs or wood from the log sorts and train cars?

I dunno what youre gonna do with all that wood in a survival situation though, maybe repair the hole in the mountaineer hut, but building a cabin during the winter doesnt sound too safe, with unpredictable winds potentially wrecking your unfinished house. Using green wood for fire doesnt burn well at all is is VERY smoky. Green wood will also warp over time if you build with it, and is extremely heavy unless you get it from the log sorts where its had time to sit.

Repairing and customizing bases sounds fun, but building one from scratch wouldnt really balance the game well if you could choose where to put shelters and make as many as you can. Imagine a base on top of timberwolf mountain, lol. Or a string of homes on your routes so you never freeze.

I dont mean to be harsh, maybe theres a use for the wood i havent thought of yet. So far, all i see is potential to fix mountaineer's hut.

9 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Why not just get the logs or wood from the log sorts and train cars?

What would you do with the wood though?  I suppose you could cut a large log into shorter lengths, although with just an axe (let alone a hatchet) it would take you forever.  You couldn't carry a length of a large log that was more than a foot or 2 long, it would be too heavy.  I guess you could then split it to use as firewood but it would be much, much less work to just use fallen deadwood for this.  If there were trees in the game that were larger than the saplings but much smaller than the full-grown trees (maybe 10-15 feet tall) they could be cut down and used to construct a lean-to type shelter: just like a snow shelter, has to be maintained but has much more room inside.  Probably not too practical in this environment though, the snow shelter would be warmer.

@Tsayers1068, i didnt even agree with that suggestion anyways, just building on their topic.

If it were me, id just make repairing mountaineers hut require some forged nails and a bunch of reclaimed wood. 

Theres also planks in some of the shelters that could be acquired, but wed need a sled to be able to transport them. And a pully system to lug them up climbing ropes, and forgeable nails. They cant just be "in your backpack"

Archived