Little Things

Fuarian

1. Mountaineering Boots should be a rare clothing item found in Survival Mode. They should increase the speed at which you climb ropes and lower the stamina drain rate.

2. Climbing Socks should lower the stamina drain of climbing as well.

3. A climbing axe should be a new rare tool item that can increase the speed of climbing ropes and lower stamina drain AND decrease the chances of falling by a lot.

4. The texture for Jeramiah's Knife should be available as a texture for a Hunting Knife in sandbox. For a little variety. Same thing with the 2 Rifle textures. 

5. Wolves have multiple fur colours. Grey wolves should now be the most common whereas Black Wolves would be more rare and tougher. For variety again. 

6. We should be able to use car batteries during the Aurora to start fires. (I think this is a planned feature for Ep. 3, nothing confirmed though). 

7. Food items with a condition below 40% should now be more likely to give food poisoning. Seriously, how can I eat a mouldy granola bar and not get sick? IT"S MOULDY! 

8. Lone wolves should wander around instead of spawning in one location and sticking to that general area. Bears can do this, they're fine the way they are. 

9. Lights & Electronics will have a chance to burst/spark/catch fire during the aurora. If you are close it will damage/afflict you. 

10. Combat Helmet. A new rare item found in both Story & Sandbox. Will protect against deadly head injuries but is heavy and cannot be repaired. 

11. Combat Vest is also a rare item found in both modes. Will protect against chest wounds like lacerations, bruising and blood loss. Cannot be repaired. 

12. Common Cold; an affliction gained by not wearing proper clothing inside/outside. Will drain your fatigue slightly faster and time passing actions take longer and have a higher chance to fail. Cured with antibiotics/tea and/or rest along with avoiding facial/general exposure to the cold. Eating warm food helps. Cold food is worse.

13. Fever; affliction gained if Common Cold worsens. Has the same effects as CC but are much worse. Eating too much will cause hunger and fatigue to drain faster (simulating throwing up without need for animation and sound effects). Cured with antibiotics and a lot of rest. Exposure will not help. Neither will overheating. 

14. Overheating; an affliction/status gained by being over 25C feels like for a period of time. If you do not remedy it by removing some layers/stepping away from the fire then you will start to lose temperature quicker/the feels like temp. will decrease. If you are indoors and it is caused by simply wearing clothing then it won't be as much of an issue as if it were by being indoors and caused by fire heating. 

15. More gates found in the world. (like the dam gate). Some could have a chance to be locked and you'll need to find bolt cutters to open them. Bolt cutters as an item.

16. Doors can have a chance to be locked. Using a new item; fireaxe, they can be broken open. But the shelter will not be viable as shelter since cold air will seep in. 

17. Shelter repair. Doors that have been broken down by you or bears (see below) can be repaired with simple/quality tools with scrap metal and reclaimed/cedar wood. Takes a lot of time. Broken windows (also see below) can be boarded up too.

18. Bears, if nearby/chasing you, can break down doors of a building if they are weak (wooden, glass). But they cannot actually get in the building. Kinda like Hunted; Part 2. 

19. Broken windows. If you don't have an axe and can't find a key to a building then you can break open a window and climb in. The windows can be boarded up but the interior will not have the same warmth it had previously, furthermore, being near the window (whether boarded or not) will cause the temperature to decrease drastically (equivalent to outside). 

20. Crowbar; a tool, similar to prybar but can be used to force open locked doors, basements and containers (not just lockers, see below). They are also more effective at killing/injuring wolves than a prybar. Because of it's similarity to the prybar I think it will be mainly for variety (which is always good)

21. Locked storage containers. Things like trunk chests, cabinets, closets, drawers, lockboxes (potential new container?), coolers, crates (big breakable ones), tool benches, metal containers and many more will have a chance to be locked and will need a crowbar/prybar to force it open. (because lockpicking doesn't fit in this game). 

22. Read Normal Books as a means to pass time and can help combat cabin fever. Rare chance to gain a random skill point for any skill. 

23. Slower transition between weather. I've noticed that the transition between a clear day and light fog is too quick. It should be reduced to be slower. Same thing with blizzards even though it used to be literally instant, it's still pretty unrealistic and immersion breaking. The fact that I notice the change happening before my eyes is a little unrealistic. 

24. Barret 50. Caliber Military-Grade Long-Range Sniper Rifle; Would go great with all the military gear we hav---- okay no, just kidding. I ran out of ideas. So that's all for now. 

Thoughts? I'd like to see all of these besides the last one implemented into the game. Maybe some of them are a little too much, but I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on these little additions.

So,  should the magic mountaineering  gear come with variable enchantments, and will we need to pray at shrines to recharge them. Maybe a Climbers pack that reduces the weight of anything put in it or lets you carry longer (by lowering the stamina drain). ;)

re: 7, see: History of penicillin

8 sounds interesting, but if wolves could go anywhere at anytime the game could too easily become one of little but avoiding and battling wolves.

I had wondered about 14 myself, but the success rate doesn't vary whether I am wearing mittens or not and when hands are shown they are bare - I'm guessing the devs intend the clothing screen represent what you would put on when necessary, but assume we generally don't want to micromanage things like removing layers. Other ways to address the too hot problem would be to:

• limit the size of the fires to the size of the stove/shelter they are being built in - maybe it shouldn't be possible to build a bonfire under a derelict cabin or stuff 12 hours worth of sticks into a stove
  • reduce the effective radius of the fire proportionally with the amount of space around it - a few sticks in a cramped shelter could warm the air, but in the open or a large cave the best they should be able to do is heat up tea
  • create a habitable zone around the heat source, perhaps with time factored in - you can only get so close to a hot fire for so long (toss a couple pallets onto the fire at a bush party and you'll back everyone away by 6' or more)

I'd rather see the devs create new mechanics or add interesting twists/tweeks to existing ones (e.g., multi-purpose consumable items, crude snares I can make without a workbench) than magical items or more ways to do the same.

Loads of great ideas there, @Fuarian!

One thing, though:

8 hours ago, Fuarian said:

12. Common Cold; an affliction gained by not wearing proper clothing inside/outside. Will drain your fatigue slightly faster and time passing actions take longer and have a higher chance to fail. Cured with antibiotics/tea and/or rest along with avoiding facial/general exposure to the cold. Eating warm food helps. Cold food is worse.

Colds are caused by a viral infection.. antibiotics do nothing to help. They can only kill bacteria.

However.. rosehips happen to be quite high in vitamin C. Which certainly does help.

Some interesting tweaks.  1 and 2 seem like ideas that I could get behind, but what would the offsets be to those clothing items?  Do the mountaineering boots cause you to move slower when not climbing?  I ask because the socks are already the best socks you can have, so what is the drawback to them if you are making them even better?  Do you make them an even more rare item?

5.  I wouldn't mind if one of the 9 wolves I killed going from BR through FM and to ML was a black wolf.  It would be a nice change of pace and a pretty pelt.  Preferably not glowing, because IMO glowing wolves are one of the worst ideas this game has produced.(not as bad as cabin fever)

7.  Maybe you could wish that they changed the name so it isn't mouldy?  How about "banged up".  ha ha.  If you want to be technical how about crumbly.  Getting food poison more often doesn't really appeal to me.

12-13.  I personally would like to see some form of malnutrition introduced.  Just eating meat 24\7 isn't a long term solution.  How about they add scurvy.  You would either need to drink tea, take vitamins, or eat some of that yummy canned stuff.  Although I would like to see them tweak the current afflictions to something more reasonable before they add anything else that pisses you off.(Or just add difficulty settings which allow you to tweak them yourself)

17.  This is the one that interests me most.  I am dying for something more to do in game.  Once I have crafted everything(which isn't much), it feels like there really isn't anything to do.  I need a goal to work towards, like shelter repair.  Give me a handful of the burned down shelters I can repair over time.  Spread them around the maps, which would have people wandering the maps looking for those shelters to repair.  I don't care how costly they make it.  I just broke down 600+ reclaimed wood from the dam and hauled it onto the lake just to use for fishing.  I would have dragged those planks in groups of 10 clear across the lake if it meant I could rebuild and customize a cabin a tiny bit.  It gives you something to work towards.  Have a few custom items you can repair inside(storage space, or nice bearskin bed) once the outside is finished.  It doesn't have to be base building that people are so worried about, just some salvage-repair with a tiny bit of custom stuff for those structures.  They are mostly shacks anyways, not cabins.  Give me a reason to go to the forge and melt some metal down into makeshift nails, then drag the hammer clear across the maps to hammer some darn planks together!

Just a suggestion, but maybe you could group together the relative items in your wish list and put them in different posts in the future.  Then maybe my reply wouldn't be as long as your list.  I would have commented more, but nobody wants to read posts this long do they?

6 hours ago, JAFO said:

One thing, though:

Colds are caused by a viral infection.. antibiotics do nothing to help. They can only kill bacteria.

However.. rosehips happen to be quite high in vitamin C. Which certainly does help.

Well... I knew that.  :D

But there should be like... a cold pill or something like Advil. Those probably don't do shit irl but y'know.

2 hours ago, Fuarian said:

But there should be like... a cold pill or something like Advil. Those probably don't do shit irl but y'know.

Pseudoephedrine is a powerful decongestant that can be restricted access due to possible abuse.

Phenylephedrine is a commonly available legal substitute that has shown no greater usefulness than a placebo for many patients.

7 hours ago, cekivi said:

I'm sure you meant nothing by it @Fuarian but we're trying to build an inclusive environment on the forums. Please consider how your comments may impact others in the future. 

Right, yeah. I forgot that people can get a little uneasy around things that they make take out of context. Sorry, I'll consider that next time.

On 11/18/2017 at 2:38 PM, JAFO said:

One thing, though:

On point. One thing is that Vit C only really helps prevent infection in conditions experienced by the character (Wikipedia article about Vit C and Colds - Only four citations but it's pretty solid.).

On 11/18/2017 at 9:06 PM, Fuarian said:

Until we have the ability to engineer drugs to treat each individual infection, it's practically impossible to threat colds using drugs. Rhinoviruses are just to diverse to be able to kill effectively with a single set of chemicals (MedScape article that outlines the practical treatment of colds.).

Advil (Ibuprofen) only treats some symptoms: pain, fever, and inflammation.

-facepalm-

1) Being cold doesn't make you sick. Being cold for long periods of time can depress the effectiveness of your immune system, and that can in turn lead to sickness. But being cold won't make you sick. The disease-causing pathogen has to be present.

And, to be honest, a lot of things can lead to a depressed immune system. Not eating well enough. Dehydration. Stress.

2) Rhinoviruses are transmitted primarily through 'contact' either with someone already sick, or through touching contaminated surfaces. Both of those instances require other people to be present. And, while the rhinoviruses are hardy, as far as viruses go, and can survive on surfaces for a few hours.... they aren't that tough.

3) You don't treat colds with antibiotics. -facepalm x 10- Antibiotics are for bacteria, not viruses. By dosing yourself with antibiotics when it isn't needed, all you are doing is weeding out the weak bacteria. Stop it.

4) While Vitamin C 'boosts' your immune system, it won't actually prevent any diseases. The correlation between Vitamin C and 'treating' the common cold is spotty, but tea in and of itself isn't a cure.  

5) Colds don't usually cause fevers in adults.

6) Anything and everything that can be locked, can be broken into using either a hammer or an axe. The only reason we cannot in-game is because the game won't let us. 

On 11/17/2017 at 3:39 PM, Fuarian said:

. Food items with a condition below 40% should now be more likely to give food poisoning. Seriously, how can I eat a mouldy granola bar and not get sick? IT"S MOULDY! 

I have about a 100 percent chance of getting sick from granola bars under 40 percent. I get food poisoning from those things at least 4 times more than any other food item. 

A lot on this list is pretty great,

Other than the medicine part and enchanted socks but someone already explained those xP.

The one thing i REALLY want from the list and should be easy ebough to implement are the different textures for similar items, like the hunting knife and the rifle.

On ‎2017‎-‎11‎-‎20 at 2:58 AM, MarrowStone said:

The one thing I REALLY want from the list and should be easy enough to implement are the different textures for similar items, like the hunting knife and the rifle.

It would give tools a nice personal touch ;) 

On 18.11.2017 at 10:47 AM, Wade said:

17.  This is the one that interests me most.  I am dying for something more to do in game.  Once I have crafted everything(which isn't much), it feels like there really isn't anything to do.  I need a goal to work towards, like shelter repair.  Give me a handful of the burned down shelters I can repair over time.  Spread them around the maps, which would have people wandering the maps looking for those shelters to repair.  I don't care how costly they make it.  I just broke down 600+ reclaimed wood from the dam and hauled it onto the lake just to use for fishing.  I would have dragged those planks in groups of 10 clear across the lake if it meant I could rebuild and customize a cabin a tiny bit.  It gives you something to work towards.  Have a few custom items you can repair inside(storage space, or nice bearskin bed) once the outside is finished.  It doesn't have to be base building that people are so worried about, just some salvage-repair with a tiny bit of custom stuff for those structures.  They are mostly shacks anyways, not cabins.  Give me a reason to go to the forge and melt some metal down into makeshift nails, then drag the hammer clear across the maps to hammer some darn planks together!

I like this :), i just entered Timberwolf Mountain and found the hut with a big hole in the roof, if i could i would repair it and i wouldn't mind chopping wood or gathering planks for the repair.

4 hours ago, ingrobny said:

I like this :), i just entered Timberwolf Mountain and found the hut with a big hole in the roof, if i could i would repair it and i wouldn't mind chopping wood or gathering planks for the repair.

Even sticks and deer hide would be an improvement :|

Archived