How do you use flashlight? Survival

brian71mm

So I've used it during the Aurora with wolves and all it seems to do is make them stop and start wandering off but once you stop using the extra bright feature to over power it they will run back to you. Is it supposed to make them run away or what cause I've had no luck period. It almost seems pointless to use honestly since Aurora's only occur every few days. 

Same here, i was attacked by a bear during the aurora and while i was using the flashlight, he turned around when i used the high beam, but attacked me when i used the normal beam and he mauled me good :o, so i don't carry the flashlight around anymore and like you are saying the aurora is very rare now, more now after last patch, so the flashlight is somewhat deadweight, since i use the storm lantern as a ligh source and i have it with me all the time.

On 11/13/2017 at 0:36 AM, brian71mm said:

once you stop using the extra bright feature to over power it they will run back to you.

On 11/14/2017 at 1:23 AM, ingrobny said:

he turned around when i used the high beam, but attacked me when i used the normal beam

Then it's working as intended.. only the full power mode scares them away.

11 hours ago, JAFO said:

Then it's working as intended.. only the full power mode scares them away.

Yes, but the thing is that they attack as soon as you stop using the high beam, so the high beam don't scare them off good enough, they are still very close too you and i didn't even have the time to run to try to escape from the wolf, i also tried to escape a bear using the high beam, but the bear turned at the same time i turned off the high beam and i didn't have a chance to run away. If i was close to a building i could back up to the door while using the high beam and escape, but in the open it dosen't work that good, so the flashlight is a bit useless, at least for me, maybe i haven't used it enough? I have only tried it couple times before i gave it up and after that the flashlight is not been used anymore by me.

Just now, ingrobny said:

If i was close to a building i could back up to the door while using the high beam and escape, but in the open it dosen't work that good

Yup.. it only works if you can escape before the battery dies.. so it's not a get-out-of-jail-free card. 

10 minutes ago, JAFO said:

so it's not a get-out-of-jail-free card. 

Since the aurora is more rare now, it should work better, at least give you some room to escape, i'm using fur clothing so i have ca 50% stamina, so i can't run for very long. Right now it's not worth it to carry the flashlight around all the time, i have found 2, i have 1 in the Broken Railroad and 1 in Mystery Lake, but i have moved to Coastal Highway so i don't have a flashlight there, but i don't miss the flashlight :o.

12 minutes ago, ingrobny said:

Since the aurora is more rare now, it should work better, at least give you some room to escape

Short of scaring them so that they run away, I don't see how that could work.. as I understand it, aurora wolves have an increased detection range as well, so it would still be very hard to get clear of them before they came back again.

31 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Short of scaring them so that they run away, I don't see how that could work.. as I understand it, aurora wolves have an increased detection range as well, so it would still be very hard to get clear of them before they came back again.

I don't know either, all i know is that the signal pistol and the flare works better than the flashlight, if the flashlight could have similar effect it would be a great tool to use, but since we have the storm lantern for light source and flares/ signal pistol to scare wolves (i haven't tried those on bears, so i don't know it that works as good as with wolves) with and works  better than the flashlight, then the flashlight is a bit useless.

Archived