Save your Food & Water

hozz1235

Came across this realization while on a fishing binge last night (20 days).

If you're in a relatively safe area, starve and parch yourself!  I can consume about half as much as I normally would if I were to keep my Food & Water meters in the white.  I wait until my health meter is about 25%, fill up on food & water, sleep a full night and your health should be close to 100%.  I was able to go about 12-16 hours w/o eating or drinking (which is double the time were I to keep topped off). 

Here's the kicker:  it takes the same amount of food/water to fill up the meter even if it's been in the red for many hours.

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

Came across this realization while on a fishing binge last night (20 days).

If you're in a relatively safe area, starve and parch yourself!  I can consume about half as much as I normally would if I were to keep my Food & Water meters in the white.  I wait until my health meter is about 25%, fill up on food & water, sleep a full night and your health should be close to 100%.  I was able to go about 12-16 hours w/o eating or drinking (which is double the time were I to keep topped off). 

Here's the kicker:  it takes the same amount of food/water to fill up the meter even if it's been in the red for many hours.

Yes, that is a well known fact. In fact many interloper players deliberately starve themselfs during the day just in order to reduce the calory consumption. IMO this is a broken game mechanic. You can do this forever. Consuming a third of your normal calory need and jsut be fine, which should be punished by some affliction like "malnutrition" or "weight loss" . Water has a higher condition loss then starvation therefore is not drinking a little less favourable then starving yourself. I think this is going to be fixed at some point. Maybe there is also a bonus for beeing well fed over longer periods. For role play reasons I do not starve myself but gameplaywise it would make sense.. Then if you fish for 20 days straight you do not even manage to eat all the fish before it spoils soo... Why even conserve calories.

12 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

If you're in a relatively safe area, starve and parch yourself!

Don't do both at once.

If both are in the red, you're taking a double hit to your condition, which will thus drop relatively quickly.. and thirst gives a much harder condition hit than hunger. Starve yourself by all means, but keep up the water.

11 hours ago, JAFO said:

Don't do both at once.

If both are in the red, you're taking a double hit to your condition, which will thus drop relatively quickly.. and thirst gives a much harder condition hit than hunger. Starve yourself by all means, but keep up the water.

Kindda got the routine down now.  Fish for around 16 hours while food & water in the red.  By that time, I usually need rest so I fill up, sleep for 10-12 hours and voila, full health!  Rinse & Repeat.

17 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Kindda got the routine down now.  Fish for around 16 hours while food & water in the red.  By that time, I usually need rest so I fill up, sleep for 10-12 hours and voila, full health!  Rinse & Repeat.

Most players don't skimp on water because it is practically limitless, just have a fire going.  But as you see it is by no means required.  In fact, you could spend 4 entire days without sleep(-1%/hr), food(-1%/hr), and water(-2%/hr) and still recover overnight in any mode but Interloper.

In Interloper, I tend to eat and drink small bits whenever I find I am both not exhausted and not freezing (which is not often ?).  There is actually a bonus that adds back 1% of your condition each hour when all your bars are not empty.  So technically you are surrendering that bonus whenever you starve, but the power of sleep is so much greater few miss it.

22 hours ago, selfless said:

Most players don't skimp on water because it is practically limitless, just have a fire going.  But as you see it is by no means required.  In fact, you could spend 4 entire days without sleep(-1%/hr), food(-1%/hr), and water(-2%/hr) and still recover overnight in any mode but Interloper.

Hrm... are you sure that calculation is correct? With sleep, food & water depleted you would lose -4% per hour. One day has 24h. 24 x -4 is -96 (%). So...

2 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Hrm... are you sure that calculation is correct? With sleep, food & water depleted you would lose -4% per hour. One day has 24h. 24 x -4 is -96 (%). So...

Right.  Right... All I remember is don't ever fear starvation, thirst, or exhaustion ( exhaustion is actually required to heal ).  If you die of any of these (or all of these) you will have had a lot of time before the end to consider what you could have done to save yourself but didn't.  Or you died instead from sudden onset of wolf and not these at all.  

Honestly, the only players who don't have food stashed everywhere must be the ones who actually eat it.  

On 10.11.2017 at 5:27 PM, selfless said:

Right.  Right... All I remember is don't ever fear starvation, thirst, or exhaustion ( exhaustion is actually required to heal ).  If you die of any of these (or all of these) you will have had a lot of time before the end to consider what you could have done to save yourself but didn't.  Or you died instead from sudden onset of wolf and not these at all.  

Honestly, the only players who don't have food stashed everywhere must be the ones who actually eat it.  

That I should see the day when I catch Fountain of Knowledge committing a miscalculation... :)

And there actually are those rare bold Interloper players who actually eat their food. I think @Scyzarais one of them. I'm not.

1 hour ago, Hotzn said:

That I should see the day when I catch Fountain of Knowledge committing a miscalculation... :)

And there actually are those rare bold Interloper players who actually eat their food. I think @Scyzarais one of them. I'm not.

Well, as food and ammunition are abundant anyway (especially since the introduction of stone throwing) I see no reason not to keep my calorie bar full all the time. ;)

I have no intention to go for a thousands-of-days-game, so it makes no difference at all for me whether I feed on a deer for three days or three weeks. (Meaning I know I cannot run out of means to acquire food no matter which playstyle I use).

That being said I prefer to keep my hunger bar full as it requires me to play a bit more actively. I'm not interested in 'optimising' calorie consumption to survive as many days as possible with as little hunting trips as possible.

On 11/8/2017 at 10:04 PM, JAFO said:

Don't do both at once.

Agreed. Always stay hydrated, water is an infinite resource. Food, however, is harder to come by.

On 11/13/2017 at 5:52 AM, Scyzara said:

I have no intention to go for a thousands-of-days-game, so it makes no difference at all for me whether I feed on a deer for three days or three weeks. (Meaning I know I cannot run out of means to acquire food no matter which playstyle I use).

I can see your point.  With that in mind, I guess it's just a matter of saving time then (open inventory, double-click food item(s), open radial menu, drink water, wait for drinking countdown).  Trivial, I know but saves me clicks ;)

Archived