Refuel Fuel Containers

The_Materialist

It is an easy suggestion and probably has been posted a few times. If I have 4 jerry cans and I want to go fishing to refuel one jerry can I want to go with an empty one. Since jerrycans and lanter fuel are basically the same just in other containers I want to be able to pur fuel from one container into the other. I want to fill one or two jerry cans until full and leave them at my base and take an empty one with me. Or bring home lantern fuel container and pur them into my jerry cans. I am not talking about getting fuel out of lamps. Which has also been suggested a few times. 

This was suggested many times as well. I get what you mean by switching over the fuel, but you should be aware that fuel has its own durability. Because of that, it would be very difficult to trasfer them in between. as you would naturally only be able to transfer the fuel with same condition in the first place. And yes items need condition, because if you are attacked by wildlife, there is a random chance some of your items will be damaged, even destroyed. I am sure you can understand that if you got mauled by a bear, the bear might smash the jerry can and make a hole in it, which would cause all the fuel to pour out and be wasted...

Still, there is SOMETHING you can do - if you want to create a "full" jerry can, you can do that. Simply drop all lantern fuel cans and jerry cans, and keep only the one you want to fill in your inventory - then cook some raw fish. This will create lantern fuel and this lantern fuel will be added to your jerry can first. Once it fills up to 5 liters (I think) it will be completely full, and you will start making more kerosene bottles instead. Additionally, you can scrap your lanterns, this will give you the fuel in them, and once again, if you have half-empty jerry can in your inventory, it will put the lantern fuel into it first.

Now, I believe you need to have similar condition of jerry to the lantern oil you would create, but I am not sure if this is a thing - but I believe if you are trying to fill yellow jerry can with fish, it should be possible.

34 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Because of that, it would be very difficult to trasfer them in between. as you would naturally only be able to transfer the fuel with same condition in the first place. And yes items need condition, because if you are attacked by wildlife, there is a random chance some of your items will be damaged, even destroyed. I am sure you can understand that if you got mauled by a bear, the bear might smash the jerry can and make a hole in it, which would cause all the fuel to pour out and be wasted...

Those two statements contradict each other. Let me explain this: The item with the condition is and also should be the jerry can it self. Fuel is conditionless but is carried in a container with a condition. If a container is damaged and destroyed the fuel pures out and is lost. So fuel itself is conditionless and should be transferable between containers. A container can be damaged but how is fuel decaying or damaged? This logic would also imply that water should have a condition since everything should be destroyable and losable through wildlife attacks. See the condition thing in the game is very inconsistent. Cat tails do not decay and things like leather shoes do decay. Similarly water hasn't a condition but fuel has?

I know what you mean about the condition, and as far as fuel condition, this is something people argued over for a long time - I am guessing it was not added into the game because it would be difficult to implement. But I agree that condition of fuel should really mean the condition of the container. Then again, fish oil will spoil, but kerosene likely wont. Here we come across another issue - the lantern fuel is some unindentified mix of flammable oil. So, lantern fuel could be, in fact, decaying. Another issue is mixing - while the lantern fuel does not mix with water, if you got dirt into it, it would become unusable unless it was filtered. 

10 minutes ago, The_Materialist said:

that water should have a condition since everything should be destroyable and losable through wildlife attacks

I thought it had? Just 100% all the time. I think water is also something you can lose in the animal attack. Sometimes items will just dissapear during animal attacks. But I admit this is where I am not sure, it has been a long while since I had a chance to play TLD.

8 minutes ago, The_Materialist said:

Cat tails do not decay and things like leather shoes do decay.

Cat tails is tinder, and would pretty much be usable even if it did spoil or became ruined. Stalks should spoil,  honestly. Leather shoes can be used and its clothing, for game balance reasons clothing decays, albeit a lot faster then you would imagine in real life. 

11 minutes ago, The_Materialist said:

Similarly water hasn't a condition but fuel has?

This actually does make sense, because purified or boiled water becomes anorganic liquid. But the lantern fuel, like I said, is unindentified substance, which is partially also organic it seems, because it is made out of organic oils in fish. Oh, and kerosene is also organic by nature - even though it degrades rather slowly, it does degrade. Fish oil does indeed degrade over time. So it makes sense that fuel would be found in different conditions. Also depends on pollution, etc. I guess same applies to water - but packed, boiled water would be germ and dirt-free, and anything you will boil will also be drinkable as all the germs in it will be dissintegrated. And you cant find "opened water bottle" in the game, it is always found in 1 liter or 0,5 liter sealed bottles, it seems.

9 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

some unindentified mix of flammable oil

This is the definition of what the game considers as lantern fuel. Every flammable oil. So if one would consider the container as the object with condition oils should be transferable. If you consider the fuel to have an intrinsic condition it should not be transferable. In my opinion the first option should be implemented instead of the second, but the game is not very clear on this. Lantern fuel containers disappear and magicaly are created but jerry cans stay even if empty. So IMO transfering fuel to jerry cans isn't all that problematic or game breaking it's just one of the little things that would make me happy.

Somebody did recently post a workaround that converted all fuel to 100%, but I can't seem to find the thread.

Edit:

Found it! It's only a partial solution, though. Before harvesting a lantern, drop the jerry can if you have one, then fill the lantern from all your smaller fuel tins. Then pick up the jerry can. When you harvest the lantern, all the fuel will go into the jerry can and be the same condition.

I'd like to add that there's a mod which lets you drain lanterns, which would help a lot with this technique. But we're not allowed to say that. So I won't.

Archived