Interloper - Surviving in the winding river region! Surprise re-spawned deer!

madreveronica

I am still a very feeble player of the Long Dark despite  clocking over 2,500 hours of playing time in the past 4 months! I love this game and I play anythime I can. I am still working my way thorough in Episode 2 having had to built all the stuff up I've lost when the game crashed as I died in the new region trying to fix Jeremiah's riffle in my first run.  I have never managed to forge anything to date let alone fire a single arrow towards any animal! It's been a struggle to even stone rabbits as well! Even worst to grab them in time!!!  So many failures but I keep on trying.  Maybe it's because my favourite mode has been Interloper. It suits me and I am getting  good at it!

My latest...  spawned me in Pleasant Valley in the middle of some horror. The usual run for dear life , river, cat tails and familiar surroundings lead me to the Farmhouse, found the hacksaw in the basement, grabbed a few cloth and ran to the barn. Not much then legged to the Radio Control Hut, found the hammer!  The weather was good in the morning and I made a run to the hunter's blind and hill top cave but to my horror came face to face to a bear! I lost a lot of condition crouching to reach the Carter Hydro Dam Environs cave system and using my torches  made my way to winding river.  I was so happy to find a deer carcass just before getting there. And the coal! And all the sticks! And the bedroll in the cave further along! Mushrooms and Maple sappling! Lot's of sticks and re-spawning coals ( I reversed backwards in the cave system to collect them!)

Ideal place to practice the stoning rabbits whilst building up condition to try to reach the Dam with the risk of a wolf attack.  And in the process I've reached over 10 days in Interloper!!! Woohoo!! Meanwhile all guts curing and pelts and hides in both caves! And eventualy as food supplies dwindled  I felt  it was time to go but I didnt know how to avoid that patrolling wolf so I was thinking  ...shall I try a path beyond that clift ledge of where I harvested that last deer? So I went to try to find a way to the dam avoiding the wolf  and to my most amazing surprise EVER there was a NEW freshly DEAD deer right next to my burnt out fire I have used to harvest the previous deer!!! Nearly 2 kilos of meat, 2 more guts and a hide!!!! Wow! What a lovely surprise! Of course the Dam recce got aborted! Feast time!!!

Fantastic surprise! Maybe that rock clift is a deer trap and they can't escape!

Does anybody know a sure way to reach the lower dam safely without succumbing to the patrolling wolf?

Yep! I was thinking of that! So many rocks/stones in the area! I have got a stash of them...ready to pick...debating fire or rocks...thats why I have been building up condition because I think if I am weak I could be pouced upon even with a fire going but I have no practice on the stone throwing like ie aimining high etc. Ok I will just crouch and throw. The thing is it seems the wolf comes to catch a rabbit everytime I approach and he runs in the wrong direction usually. Thats the challenge

you are going up the first path that takes you to the body/deer corpse that spawns there, coming down the rock to reach the 2nd pathway?

There is a rock with a few cat tails at the bottom which helps to identify the right spot.

This way I never have any wolf problem as hes usually nearer the dam and the 2nd path.

On 11/3/2017 at 0:38 PM, madreveronica said:

to my most amazing surprise EVER there was a NEW freshly DEAD deer right next to my burnt out fire I have used to harvest the previous deer!!!

Honestly, that sounds like a bug.

All the same, congratulations on your good fortune!

On 11/2/2017 at 9:51 PM, AZHockeyNut said:

Toss a bunch of rocks in a far direction he will go look at them usually. Try to hit a rock or tree to make extra noise

does doing that actually make more noise? Obviously it does but does it attract the wolves more or longer? 

2 hours ago, Fuarian said:

Obviously it does but does it attract the wolves more or longer?

I think it would take some careful testing to determine. If louder noises get their attention from further away, it would certainly be useful.

On 03/11/2017 at 0:38 PM, madreveronica said:

I am still a very feeble player of the Long Dark despite  clocking over 2,500 hours of playing time in the past 4 months!

Given that there are 8760 hours in a year, this leaves 420 hours of your time for everything else in your life in the past 4 months - about 3.5h per day :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2017 at 2:52 PM, cannajan said:

you are going up the first path that takes you to the body/deer corpse that spawns there, coming down the rock to reach the 2nd pathway?

There is a rock with a few cat tails at the bottom which helps to identify the right spot.

This way I never have any wolf problem as hes usually nearer the dam and the 2nd path.

This post deserves more attention. By taking this path on your way back to the Lower Dam, you can completely avoid the area where the wolf patrols. 

On 03/11/2017 at 6:52 PM, cannajan said:

I've followed your guidance and yesss! Sure way to avoid the wolf! I lost that Interloper on a sudden wolf attack on the opposite frozen river bank. I am yet to attemp coming from the Dam to winding river on Interloper.

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes the wolf might be blocking the way even to the first path - for example, sometimes it might be eating a rabbit on the ice just past the turnoff to the cave. From the cave near the rabbits continue to climb in the direction of the dam. There is a chance of finding maples/deer carcass/corpse/fir/etc and from just before this point there is a way down onto the ice that is almost exactly at the start of the first path. As well as collecting the extra loot, you limit your exposure to the wolf. Even if it is very close you can easily sprint up the first path.

Archived