Less Smoking

Wade

Not sure where Will is getting all his cigarettes from(its not me, and thank god he isn't using my matches), but could you have him smoke less at night?  I am having trouble navigating\seeing at all.  If you could fix this in the December update I am sure everyone would be ever so greatful.

2 hours ago, Ape88 said:

You ever walk outside in real life when the temperature is cold like it is in the game? You'll get the same effect.

Yeah I have been in plenty of below freezing temps, but it didn't impair my vision to the point of momentary blindness. 

My friend if you're talking about smoking, then it's not necessary in the game, because cigarettes only take away strength.  and make the lungs look like coal.  And besides, the game in which smokers would induce many not strengthened minds that once their hero smokes something and they can.  And this is absolutely not so.  Smoking is dangerous, Smoking only gives harm, illnesses, for example lung cancer, alas from this disease even kings die, for example the King of Great Britain the father of Her Majesty Elizabeth 2, King George 6.

5 hours ago, AlexandraRussia said:

My friend if you're talking about smoking, then it's not necessary in the game, because cigarettes only take away strength.  and make the lungs look like coal.  And besides, the game in which smokers would induce many not strengthened minds that once their hero smokes something and they can.  And this is absolutely not so.  Smoking is dangerous, Smoking only gives harm, illnesses, for example lung cancer, alas from this disease even kings die, for example the King of Great Britain the father of Her Majesty Elizabeth 2, King George 6.

The translation to russian didnt carry over correctly. He was comparing the character's foggy breath to cigarette smoke as a joke.

5 hours ago, Fuarian said:

The breath cloud is like that irl. Just not AS bright. Also, if you have a fire going it won't show up. Or anything warm for that matter. 

My problem with it is that it moves with you. It's not dynamic.

Exactly. As i said before, itd be best if you could walk through the cloud  or turn your head away from it. This of course means an entirely new breath asset would have to be made and itd have to render in 3d space but i think itd be worth it! :3

4 hours ago, AlexandraRussia said:

It is clear :), all passed).

Ah, ok, was concerned the joke didnt carry through. Good to hear it did.

The obvious solution is to move the effect down and to the sides to minimize impairment of focused visual input.  Peripheral vision is sufficient to pick up any environmental information the effect communicates.

screen_aded2cca-5386-4417-985a-d8def2fd1ea8_hi_LI.thumb.jpg.273e1b6a5cef097f17cd79bef8bec0b2.jpg

The absolute worst place to interfere with focused vision is the exact center.  Every step should be taken to avoid blocking distant activity in this area of the screen.

59f505087011b_screen_aded2cca-5386-4417-985a-d8def2fd1ea8_hi_LI(2).thumb.jpg.8c892fb5fa6cdbfc3e1dd2bd548bea79.jpg

11 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Exactly. As i said before, itd be best if you could walk through the cloud  or turn your head away from it. This of course means an entirely new breath asset would have to be made and itd have to render in 3d space but i think itd be worth it! :3

Ah, ok, was concerned the joke didnt carry through. Good to hear it did.

Sorry if I offended you

On 28/10/2017 at 1:36 AM, Ape88 said:

You ever walk outside in real life when the temperature is cold like it is in the game? You'll get the same effect.

And I assume it also emits light? Because it's so dark outside to the point that you can barely see the reflective snow, but at the same time you go blind from your own breath.

On 27/10/2017 at 8:54 PM, RossBondReturns said:

On top of that the breath cloud is also dynamic.

It becomes more visible the colder it gets another way to know your temp is  going down.

Yeah supposedly it's supposed to be a UI indicator, but I'll be honest, i've looked at the cloud in -5 temps, -50, and when I was freezing/full warmth, and I can't really tell a difference between any of them. There might be one, but if it exists, it's useless as a UI element if it's too hard to differentiate. As people have said, doing anything at night is frustrating (and it makes it almost impossible to take good screenshots too), and it makes no real sense (at night the cloud would not be so bright as there is little light to reflect, and as people have said it wouldn't follow your face if you were walking forward). 

Doesn't help that if you play on Interloper you are always freezing anyways, so what is the point of an 'indicator'? Obviously doesn't apply to all modes, but still.

The breath is literally the most annoying feature that has ever been put into the game (it actually existed before, it was just FAR less obnoxious until recently and nobody really noticed it) and as some people have already said in this thread, it legitimately makes me not want to play sometimes because it's that bad. Toning down the breath (at least at night) is easily my most awaited change and nothing else even comes close on my wishlist.

That's funny because it's very clear on lower difficulties, I play on Voyageur.

I also like the fact that it also comes faster and more "in the way" during and after running or higher exertion.

Also living and growing up in many cold locations I'm quite fond of the breath cloud effect as I am quite familiar with it indeed.

On 10/30/2017 at 0:53 AM, RossBondReturns said:

That's funny because it's very clear on lower difficulties, I play on Voyageur.

I also like the fact that it also comes faster and more "in the way" during and after running or higher exertion.

Also living and growing up in many cold locations I'm quite fond of the breath cloud effect as I am quite familiar with it indeed.

It is not funny, it really is that way.

Something most people probably don't consider - this is also a graphics issue. If you have your graphics turned all the way down, from my experience the breath fog is very opaque, no matter what the low temperature is. But if you play with better graphics, then it is just like Ross said - in higher low temperatures, it is far more clear then in the really low temperatures.

11 hours ago, nicko said:

Either way it needs to be fixed it's so annoying. or give us an option to turn it off or on in our display settings maybe or just tone it down 60%.

Its not just annoying, its an obstacle.  For a "feature" that is only intended (I assume) to convey information that I can already get from two other sources, being "in the way" is not good design.

Unless the intent is to make a factor I have exactly zero control over (the weather) blind me in yet another way (fog and blizzards already do this).  Decide.  Is it meant to help the player or hurt him?  Cuz right now it hurts...

On 11/3/2017 at 8:12 AM, selfless said:

Its not just annoying, its an obstacle.  For a "feature" that is only intended (I assume) to convey information that I can already get from two other sources, being "in the way" is not good design.

Unless the intent is to make a factor I have exactly zero control over (the weather) blind me in yet another way (fog and blizzards already do this).  Decide.  Is it meant to help the player or hurt him?  Cuz right now it hurts...

I just now learned that there's a mod that kills it dead.

I'm totally installing that RIGHT DAMN NOW.

Archived