Blood splash = Kill?

starfighter441

I've shot at a few animals lately, both with bow and rifle, and have seen a definite blood splash, but the animals ( a bear with the rifle, and a deer with the bow) seem reluctant to die even after a good bit of time.  I was under the impression that a hit meant a kill, perhaps not right away but with in a day or so, and somewhere on the animals usual patrol grounds.  Dunno about the deer, but the damned bear is still toddling about after 3 nights.

Sometimes a graze can result in a blood splash on impact.  As a rule though, despite the splash, there won't be any blood on the ground afterwards. So if there's no blood trail, no kill.

Something else to be aware of is that there's a long-standing known bug, where if you wound an animal and go indoors to wait for it to die, then it miraculously recovers and won't die. This is usually cited as a problem with bears, but I've had it happen to me once with a deer.

There IS a workaround, fortunately. If you go indoors to wait, you must exit the building again in less than 60 seconds. You can then go back indoors if you wish, and the animal will die normally.

On ‎2017‎-‎10‎-‎25 at 3:02 AM, starfighter441 said:

That's likely what happened with the bear then, Paddington was not a happy camper, and I ducked into a trailer to escape his wrath.

To get around the bug I prefer to sleep in cars. The bug only triggers if a loading screen occurs. 

To add on grazing shots - for whatever reason, it seems that in my game there is often a blood trail even if I simply hit a graze shot - not sure if that is a bug, probably a graphical glitch on my part. Only seems to happen with the deer. However, there is another way to know if your shot was just a graze - if you observe the animal for a bit, it will start running away, and once it runs away far enough from you, it will re-trigger its normal behaviour. So, if the hit deer stops running away and goes back to eating and casually walking around, you will know for sure that the animal was only grazed, not bleeding. 

On 10/24/2017 at 11:44 PM, KinoUnko said:

not always. 

Very helpful.

51 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

However, there is another way to know if your shot was just a graze - if you observe the animal for a bit, it will start running away, and once it runs away far enough from you, it will re-trigger its normal behaviour. So, if the hit deer stops running away and goes back to eating and casually walking around, you will know for sure that the animal was only grazed, not bleeding. 

Also, if your shot was just a graze, you won't get the icon on the RH side of the screen indicating that you just got a skill point awarded.

I'm not entirely certain anymore. In my current playthrough which is on pilgrim because HL nerfed the bear warning sounds and now I refuse to play in a game where the moment I hear the bear warning, is likely going to be the same instant the bear charges me... Anyway in this playthrough I did hit a dear and tracked it quite far, but lost it...however came to find a dead dear (not ravaged) in the vincinity of where I lost track of the dear I hit... But then wound up getting the pacifist achievement... Which is for going 25 days or so without killing anything...

Archived