Survival Diary

The_Materialist

Day 94, Mountaineers Hut

Today I cooked up around 1.5 Liters coffee. Along with a bunch of salty crackers and energy bars it should give me the energy to climb that mountain. I suspect storage containers close to the broken off tail section, which I can see from the hut at clear weather. The my supplies back at uncle jerry's cabin are plenty but I have the feeling of impending doom.. Weather has gotten worst and worst over the last weeks.  94 Days back when I regained consciousness near the mistery lake weather was much warmer. So my gut feeling says me that the winter will get harsher. I need every bit of supplies I can get. My trip to the mountain region was successful so far. I found 6 tins of coffe and a 5 packs of herbal tea. The saplings in the nearby birch forrest are ideal for arrow crafting and there are plenty of them. I will take them to uncle Jerry's cabin after I climbed the summit. As always I seem to be lucky in a misfortuned situation. I will now rest myself befor the exhausting trip tomorrow.

Day 97, Summit

I woke up next to the embers of my night fire. The weather was clear and man what a view from up here. The climb over the last three days was a pain in the ass, but man only the view is worth that trip. I never felt more alive than now. The first day of the climb i managed to get my hand bitten by the wolf on the shores of the lake. That fucker jumpscared me over a hill and attacked me rightaway.. he must have been hungry. I think the unusual cold also takes it toll from the wildlife around here. I passed through two caves and three ropes before I climbed the last rope yesterday evening and barely managed to make a fire for the night. I then fell asleep immediatly. Now I am awake and trying to find life signs of the crew or their decent from the mountain.. Two bodies are outside. Seems as if they died during the crash. So I guess my situation is not as unlucky as the one of others. I'll have a look around if there is something else to eat around here but chocolate bars and salty crackers.. I can't see that stuff anymore. 

Day 97, Summit

I don't know who ordered those supplies on the plane but you can supply a small army with that! Some crew members must have made it through the crash alive, the cargo list which I found didn't fit with the containers I found. So they maybe made it and could call help. 

The supplies currently intact are:

clothes: 4 expedition parkas, 2 skimasks, 4 touques, 1 insulating boots, 4 wool longjohns, 4 thick wool sweaters

tools: 3 Hachtes, 2 heavy hammers, 5 stormlanterns, 2 knives, 5 quality tools, wetstone, 4 rifle cleaningkits, a rifle, 20 bullets, distresspistol and 6 flareshells

food: 10 MRE's, 5 or so peanutbutter, condesed milk, sodas, water

Good that feels great to drink sodas instead of coffee. And to be honest I used to hate the MRE's when I was in service but damn do they taste good when you ate salty crackers for 3 days straight! 

Day 98, Summit

A terrible blizzard has set in and I am stuck uphere.. I hope this is not my end. The plane wreck keeps the wind at bay and I have started to break down crates for fire wood.. I have found a sewing manual and have been reading it the whole day. Very informative to read although the clothes on the pictures look pretty goofy. I start to get itchy feed.. I hate to be locked down up here. I don't feel save. An avalanche could burry me or I can just never wake up again because I freeze to death in my sleep. The only thing that keeps me from freezing is the fire i have set up and which is burning for 2 days now.

Day 99, Summit

The weather has improved and there are only few clouds on the sky now. I have started exploring the summit and foraging for firewood. In a cave next to the rope down i have found another crew member. He is huddled which didn't prevent him from freezing solid. He plant on climbing down I assume, he had a climbing rope lying next to him. I wanted to burry him but I cannot waste energy to dig up the frozen ground.. 

Day 103, Mountaineers Hut

I hate blizzards.. But I hate freezing more so I wait until tomorrow until I start my journey up to the summit again. Fortunatly I have a ice fishing guide to read. I always found fishing to be as boring as watching paint dry, but hey if it gets my stomache full I don't complain.

Day 106, Summit

I remembered a bedroll I haven't picked up near the ravine. I slept in a cave for a night and climbed the mountain within two days. I'm getting the hang of the climbing thing.. I may be able to ascent within one day with a small rest in between ropes. Anyways I am exhausted from the ascent, I pack for the descent and then I will go to slep.

Day 107, Summit

I wonder If there is something in the lower decks of the plane wreck. I'll check that out before descending.

Another crew member.. I found four up here and two further down we have been eight. The last one probably also died.. Lets face it I am the only one who was smart enough to jump out of that plane. "I can land it safely he said.." yeah tell that the crows circleing your frozen body. 

I got another issue.. I cannot get back up again.. I need to go down this face of the mountain. Looks climbable.. But also looks like broken bones if I fall. Let's hope the best. I got no other options.

Day 113, Preppers Cache

I've moved some key supplies out of the mountain region. I have stored them in the locker. It was a successful journey! Most of the long lasting food is still at the summit, but I have moved the most valuable things out. I'll make a list in order to see if there is anyone around here scavenging and I should probably lock the locker.. As much as I't love to see another human again, that is my stuff now. I have recovered those supplies under the risk of my life!

- Arrowshafts 33

- Rifle Ammo 26

- cured maple saplings 4

- coffee tins 6

- herbal tea packs 4

- distress pistol

- flare shells 5

- sewing kits 6

- wetstones 1

- rifle cleaning kits 4

I have brought some condesed milk and some MRE's to eat when stopping here again. I will now leave for the summit again. As much as I hate those salty crackers their calories are keeping me alive and thats what counts.

• 2 weeks later...

Day 115, Mountaineers Hut

The summit is finally clear. Some old clothes and a few liters of water and salty crackers are still up there. But to be honest those crackers can rot up there. Tomorrow is a bussy day for me. I need to craft arrow shafts from the saplings to make them more portable and I need to hunt in the ned few days. A deer steak would be nice. But I will eat also a wolf if I catch one. There was a bear near the lake the other day so maybe I can take down that beast. The bow is pretty efficient in bleeding out animals so I probably can take him down. Uncle jerrys rifle makes short work of a bear but I have never tried a bow until now. 

Day 116, Crystal Lake

I am hiding in the fishing hut. He smells me! I was surprised by that beast when I was collecting sticks. If I don't survive this. If you find this. There is a cabin around 10 miles from here close to mistery lake. If you leave the tracks to the south at the camp office and not stop going until you hit a rock wall you'll find the cabin. My supplies are there, I hope your faith is better then mine. 

Day 116 , Mountaineers Hut

What a beast! I shot him 3 times with the bow until he finally dropped dead. The first arrow broke the second only tickled him I think. The third arrow went straight through his left eye! What a lucky shot! I got food for weeks now.

Day 118, Mountaineers Hut

The freezing cold is for once an advantage. It keeps the meat from smelling and rotting which keeps the wolves away and leaves me the possibility of makeing a trip back home without the risk of the meat going bad. I got plenty of arrow shafts and whetstones I'v found the other day in a cargo container I have missed. I should make a list when I am back in the bunker.

Day 118, Preppers Cache

- 69 Arrowshafts

- 26 Bullets

- 3 tins of coffe (15 coffees)

- 2 MREs

- 7 sewing kits

- 8 whetstones

- 6 rifle cleaning kits

- 5 flare shells

- 1 flare gun

- 3 stims

Pretty proud of this trip to the mountain. I will need to come back to pick up the extra clothes and medicine.

Day 118, Somewhere in the Valley

God fucking damit. I hate this valley.. One minute the weather is good, sun is shining. The next a fucking blizzard. I am in a cave close to.. Well I don't know I lost the orentation. Luckily I found this cave.. But I left my bedroll back in the preppers cache.. I still have a ton of coffe to stay awake but sleeping would be better.. I still have some cloth left. So I will try what uncle jerry once told me when I was a kid. "Snow is the best insulation" he said make a shelter out of sticks, cloth and snow and you will sleep like a baby. Well lets hope I the old misantrophe hasn't gone crazy during his : "be one with mother nature phase".

Day 119, Skeeters Ridge cave

It actually worked! It was surprisingly cosy in there, although not as confortable as my bearskin bedroll. 

Day 121, Farmstead

Just in case I have not said that already.. I hate this valley. It seems to be a constant blizzard. I have been trapped here for 2 days now and the blizzard only stops at night for the aurora to come out. Well good luck travelling during the aurora.. Light check, Warm check, super agressive wildlife which will bite your ass check.. Fuck this place!

Day 122, Dam

It feels like coming home.

Day 122, Trappers cabin

After organizing my stuff I went to sleep. I had a weird but awesome dream where I was shooting deer with my bow and I hit a deer from like 100 meters. Then I woke up. I was starving.. man that deer looked delicouse. As much as I like bear meat. it's just not the same as venison. Much more fat in the bear meat and sometimes a bit.. rancid in taste. 

22 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Congrats on the bear, and double congrats on that long shot at the deer. Especially considering the fog!

I was messing arround and trying to figure out if I could hit the deer at this range with a bow or gun. But since I have missed to many rounds before I saved the clip and reloaded, therefore the dream ;-)

Day 122, Trappers Cabin

Damn.. Time is going fast. I have survived already 4 monts in this cold. I cannot get rid of the feeling that something isn't right with the weather and the seasons. I mean  4 months and it was start of winter when I parachuted out of the plane. The weather should get better and it definetly should have been getting warmer by this time of the year.. Maybe a vulcano has errupted and that is why everything doesn't work that is electrical.. Maybe there is to much magnetic particles in the atmosphere which make it so cold and disturb electrical circuits.. Maybe it will be year without summer.. anyways. I got stuff to do. So let's head out.

Day 122, Trappers Cabin

Fuck this weather.. I wanted to get some stuff done. Now the blizzard doesn't even let me see my own hand.. Well I'll craft some arrows and travell out tomorrow.

Day 123, Trappers Cabin

The storm hasn't calmed yet.. it starts to get boring in this cabin. Well then here is my to do list for the next few weeks:

- Get stuff from timber wolf mountain: (Expedition Parkas 2X as back up, Earwraps 2X as backup, Snowpants 2X as backup, 2 woll longjons as backup, all teas and pain killers, all tools, high caloric food)

For this I will need 2-3 trips. Maybe I will get those salty crackers from the summit.. I hate them but it is certainly a waste of calories and I cannot afford that if wildlife starts to get scarce around here. Don't forget the cat tails

- Fill my Fuel canisters. I can get fuel like oil from fishs. That is what I read in the ice fishing book in the valley during that 3 day blizzard. I have quite some jerry cans to fill up. I figure the 4 jerry cans can hold 16 Liters of lamp fuel which can get the lantern going for about 64 hours of burn time. This should be enough winter preparation.

- hunt a moose. I recently have been seeing footsteps other tracks I couldn't explain by other animals then a moose. They seem to be rare on the island. I have never seen one in the 4 months I have been here. But they seem to be close. If I could hunt one down it would be amazing.. Imagine all that meat!

- stock up on water. I got around 25-30 Liters left. But it's getting less and less everyday. I need to stock up. A number where I would feel safe would be 300 Liters. Thats what the goverment used to recommend for emergencies to have at your own house at all times. I got along pretty nicely but boilling water every 2-3 days is kind of annoying and uses to much matches. I got many means to make fire but I shouldn't waste a thing.

- Stock up on food. The cat tails I collected seem the be very durable. I think I should transport them from the dam, the office, timberwolf mountain and the valley. Beef jerky and cans of sodas are getting rarer so I'll safe them for later. Unsalted meat is ok but nothing as tasty as some beans with pork or a bag of beef jerky. 

- Produce Ammo. I got around 30ish arrows and 85 Bullets for the guns. I have cleaned both of my guns to perfection, they are in top shape. I have a new bow but I still have some arrowheads left. In a hunting scenario I will never use so many arrows but.. I don't know. I feel safer with ammo. Let's be honest here.. If this cold is holding longer then a few months from now on the bears and wolves will be desperately looking for food.. and I don't want to be that food so let's better stock up. Maybe If I can survive a year spring will finally arrive. 

- Stock up on reading material. No matter what instruction books, novels, magazines I dont't care. I guess in that region of the country they haven't heard of the playboy yet.. I need material to combat my boredom. I cannot stand this.. Blizzard outside and nothing to do in here.

Day 124, Trappers Cabin

Let's go fishing! I got my jerry cans with fuel to store the fish oil a few tackles and a ton of time so let's go. 

Day 124, Camp Office

I spend the hole day collecting sticks and firwood for the oven in the fishing cabin. I got attackt by a wolf but the hunting knive did his job well. He ran off and will probably die tonight, but there are at least two others out on the lake.. I may need to take them out.

Day 125, Mistery Lake

After I took down the other two wolves with my bow I started fishing. And boy what a day.. I have been fishing for 8 hours now and they still keep biteing! I might spend the night fishing. I heared fishing at night is easier. And to be honest I do not want to leave for the camp office now. A blizzard is raging and the fire here is cozy and nice. I start to get tired though.

Day 126, Mistery Lake

I'm still awake.. so many fish. Need sleep. So tired.. *unreadable scribbles*

Day 127, Camp Office

Boy much better! Going two days without sleep sure isn't the best thing for your mental sanity. I don't even know how I came back to the office. Luckily I killed all the wolves before doing such a foolish thing. I never knew fishing was soo.. adictive. It is like waiting for your food to come to you. But now I need to cook my catch and collect the oil from it. I wonder If there are wales at the cost.. Maybe I could kill a wale for his wale oil like back in the 1800's. That would be cool.. But how would I kill it? A harpune or something? Oke not get sidetracked here. Let's cook some fish.

Day 128, Mistery Lake

It is midnight and I am done cooking the fish. I got like 2.5-3 Liters of Fuel from this fishing marathon. Not very efficient fuel wise. I swim in fish to eat now. I got like 60-70 kg of cooked fish. I'm exhausted. I'll leave everything at the fishing hut and go to sleep now. 

Day 129, Trappers Cabin

I got the one full jerry can I had at the fishing hut and moved it to uncle jerrys cabin. Well I probably should stop calling it uncle jerry's cabin. It's my cabin now. It feels like home. As much pain and cold I have felt the last few months I learned to love this place. The landscape is beautyful and in summer probably a true paradise for hunting and fishing. I am so efficient in producing food by now that I could start to trade food. If there was just someone to trade with..

Archived